RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread

Old 03-04-13, 02:53 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by m1964
the best comfort tires are Michelin Pilot MXM4 (IMHO)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

There are most comfortable, low-noise, and grip the road very well. Decent for some winter driving ...on the city roads.
You can never go wrong with Michelins! I use them on all my cars!
Old 03-04-13, 11:24 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Did anyone with the Pirelli's notice a decrease in gas mileage? Ive dropped 2 miles per gallon now that ive had the Pirellis for over 500 miles and two tanks of gas.
Old 03-04-13, 11:47 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, which one I should pick: 1 to 4

http://tires.bjs.com/TSSapp/TireResu...tml?cid=170751
Old 03-04-13, 11:56 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

The link doesnt take us to tires it just takes us to the website. Which ones are you looking at?
Old 03-04-13, 12:11 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
The link doesnt take us to tires it just takes us to the website. Which ones are you looking at?
Damm, Can you fill up 2010 RX350 AWD pick 18". They are 4 Michelin Tires:

1) Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4®
2)Michelin - Pilot® MXM4®
3) Michelin - Latitude® Tour HP™ Item #: 680443
4) Michelin - Latitude® Tour HP™ . Item #: 708034
Old 03-04-13, 08:18 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
Damm, Can you fill up 2010 RX350 AWD pick 18". They are 4 Michelin Tires:

1) Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4®
2)Michelin - Pilot® MXM4®
3) Michelin - Latitude® Tour HP™ Item #: 680443
4) Michelin - Latitude® Tour HP™ . Item #: 708034
Sorry I didn't know what size rim u had, but I did fill out the vehicle info and more the just Michelin showed up in results. I would go with the latitude tour HP. 101V LEX. Im actually having my pirelli's swapped out for the latitude tours tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-04-13, 08:24 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Im actually having my pirelli's swapped out for the latitude tours tomorrow afternoon.
Was it primarily the gas mileage or do you feel the Latitude Tours were quieter or had better ride quality?
Old 03-04-13, 08:50 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCSB
Was it primarily the gas mileage or do you feel the Latitude Tours were quieter or had better ride quality?
Hi UCSB,

All of the above. Idk but I guess since I didn't have a horrible tire to begin with I was use to the comfort and practically no noise and great fuel economy from the michelins. Nothing seems to compare to them. I did however like the pirelli's but because most of the roads I drive on have horrible pot holes and imperfections the sporty feel of these tire got old real quick. What also surprised me in my case was the decrease of 2 mpg. I now get 21.5 - 22.8 where as I use to get 24.5 - 25.8 with my worn out michelins. I don't think I would discourage anyone from getting the pirelli's or any tire for that matter but u have to take everything into account, like where u live, road condition, climate, type of driving and how comfortable u want ur RX to ride. I'm pretty sure discount tire is tired of seeing my face and hopefully tomorrow will be the last time. It's like they say third times the charm. In my experience I say just pay the extra money and get the tire u want.
Old 03-04-13, 08:58 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they going to charge you for the use of the tires since you have put over 500 miles on them?

Some general advice for all. Over the 40K miles you'll put on a set of tires, you'll spend about $8K on gas (RX350, 20mpg, $4 gallon). Keep that perspective when considering a couple hundred dollar savings on a set of tires. Go with the Michelins and don't waste your time with other brands.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-04-13, 09:41 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecr72
Are they going to charge you for the use of the tires since you have put over 500 miles on them?

Some general advice for all. Over the 40K miles you'll put on a set of tires, you'll spend about $8K on gas (RX350, 20mpg, $4 gallon). Keep that perspective when considering a couple hundred dollar savings on a set of tires. Go with the Michelins and don't waste your time with other brands.

No nothing else, just the price difference between the pirelli's and michelins. Also since this is the third set of tires they are putting on they are charging me $15 per tire for life time balance and labor, but they didn't when I had them put on the pirelli's.

Great advise ecr72, lesson learned for me. I'm just glad discount tire has been so helpful and is doing everything to satisfy me. to them for great service.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)
Old 03-04-13, 11:01 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi UCSB,

All of the above. Idk but I guess since I didn't have a horrible tire to begin with I was use to the comfort and practically no noise and great fuel economy from the michelins. Nothing seems to compare to them. I did however like the pirelli's but because most of the roads I drive on have horrible pot holes and imperfections the sporty feel of these tire got old real quick. What also surprised me in my case was the decrease of 2 mpg. I now get 21.5 - 22.8 where as I use to get 24.5 - 25.8 with my worn out michelins. I don't think I would discourage anyone from getting the pirelli's or any tire for that matter but u have to take everything into account, like where u live, road condition, climate, type of driving and how comfortable u want ur RX to ride. I'm pretty sure discount tire is tired of seeing my face and hopefully tomorrow will be the last time. It's like they say third times the charm. In my experience I say just pay the extra money and get the tire u want.
Thanks for the explanation. Just to clarify, you are putting the Latitude Tour HP tire on and not the Latitude Tour, right?
Old 03-04-13, 11:03 PM
ecr72
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's great service. They took care of my dad like that once when he wanted to switch from one Goodyear to another after a week of driving. Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-05-13, 03:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sevn, at this rate you'll be able to provide a review on all the tires out there, LOL! The Pirellis are supposed to increase mileage but I've experienced a slight decrease like you. It's negligible, I like everything else about the tire so I stuck with them. Good luck switching back to the Michelins.
Old 03-05-13, 04:13 AM
eightblack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our F Sport came with Michelin all weathers and they havent been bad in the snow. I was at the dealer last week and asked about winter tires and they all recommended Blizzaks which is what It think I will put on the car next winter. Dont think I will bother with another set of wheels though. I also run 35 psi all the time.
Old 03-05-13, 06:58 AM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a word of caution about fuel economy: in northern climates it's normal to see a dip during the winter months. Idling, less efficient combustion, and winter-blend gas can all contribute to reduced gas mileage. A few times this winter I've had tanks get 1-2 mpg less, on both my car and my wife's RX. This may not have as much effect on those of you in southern climates; I'm not sure how the winter gas is distributed.

Also just an FYI regarding the Pirelli...both TireRack tests had MPG results that were consistent with their competitors, one of which was the Michelin:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=137
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=160

Originally Posted by ecr72
Go with the Michelins and don't waste your time with other brands.
Not trying to be argumentative but I strongly disagree with this. I had Michelins from the factory on my old Mazda6; I think they were Pilot HX MXM4's. Great dry traction but wet traction was downright scary.
The following users liked this post:
glerobi (09-27-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 3rd gen RX Tire Thread