RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Door Autolock/unlock

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 07:03 PM
peekayji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Autolock/unlock

A big hello to everybody from me. I just found out about this forum and immediately joined. I own a 2004 Lexus Rx 330 AWD and need to reprogram the door autolock/unlock features. The manual says to take the car to the dealer. Is there a way that I can do it myself? The dealer is asking money to program that since it has been more than one year since I bought it.
Old 06-12-06, 08:11 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Read the book

There are several options for the door lock/unlock features that you can change yourself, and these procedures are explained in the owner's handbook. (I think they are repeated on this forum, but I'm not sure; you might try a search if your book is not handy.)

You can set how the doors lock and unlock with respect to putting the shift into park and things like that. Mine are set to lock at 12 MPH (not as soon as I shift out of Park) and to unlock all four doors when I shift into park.

Also, there are many other options that can only be set with the dealer's computer gizmo (these used to be called C-Best settings.) EG: my remote is set to unlock all four doors on one push rather than just the driver's door. (I am pretty sure the default is to unlock the driver's door on one push and all 4 doors on a double-click.) I think you need the dealer to make that change. A full list of these options is posted on this forum. Also, there are differences between the settings available on the '04 and the '06 (e.g.: the '04, alas, cannot have the remote set to open the rear door remotely unless the side doors are unlocked first -- the '06 can be set to do this if you want. I also think the '06 can be set to not beep whereas the '04, alas again, cannot be set to beep less than twice.)

Many dealers will set these for you if you have the car in for something else and you ask nicely and the service manager is in a nice mood. If you bring the car in only for that, you will probably be charged for their time. If they are already working on the car, they can plug in the gizmo and make the changes in 5 minutes. Maybe 3 if they know what they are doing. It's no big deal.

On the other hand, find that section in the book that lists 4 or 5 options regarding door locking configurations, as maybe you can make the changes you want yourself.
Old 06-13-06, 10:52 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peekayji
A big hello to everybody from me. I just found out about this forum and immediately joined. I own a 2004 Lexus Rx 330 AWD and need to reprogram the door autolock/unlock features. The manual says to take the car to the dealer. Is there a way that I can do it myself? The dealer is asking money to program that since it has been more than one year since I bought it.
i did mine on my own a few years ago; i didn't feel like waiting for the dealer to do it when it takes less than 2 minutes to do it myself. i found the instructions on the GX forum. just do a search for door locks and you should come up with something.
Old 06-13-06, 02:47 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I did it few months ago. It was confusing at first.. but I got the hang of it..
Old 06-13-06, 06:17 PM
peekayji
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It worked

Thank you all for your replies! I tried the 5 sec lock button pressing sequences that I found somewhere in this forum and eventually programmed everything to my satisfaction. You guys are awesome!