RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keys lesson for the uninformed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-17, 04:42 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keys lesson for the uninformed...

I have a 2003 RX300 that my college-aged son drives. It came with three keys - two that have the alarm buttons, and one that does not. Are the alarm keys considered to be "master" keys? If so, what is the other one called? I ask because he destroyed one while at school - the plastic housing shattered and the chip was lost so the car will not start. I am sending him the other key with the buttons on it (master?) and keeping the one without the buttons. Not sure what this all means though...if he loses/destroys the one remaining alarm key, can we use the one without the buttons to have more made?

So confused...thanks.
Old 10-05-17, 06:14 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The third key (with the grey body and no buttons) is just a mechanical key. No electronics. It will start the car and open everything.
Old 10-05-17, 07:11 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

The valet key will not operate the glove compartment lock and you can not have duplicates made [the duplicates can be made but they will not be able to start the vehicle]

If you have the original black key then it will be a master key. Please use it to have a duplicate made and registered as master key in the RX cpu. If the second and the only master key is lost/destroyed, you will be in for a lot of inconvenience.

Still confused, please read the sticky threads.

Salim
Old 10-05-17, 10:02 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Correct, the grey body key won't open the glove box but does everything else. If you still have the credit card key, that is fully functional, also. I got a master key cut at my dealer for $25 (got the shell/blank from ebay and transferred the electronic innards from the old key which had disintegrated).
Old 10-05-17, 01:13 PM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all - very helpful!
Old 10-05-17, 04:02 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The ones with the three buttons are the master keys. I have replaced keys on both my own RX300 (when shell broke) and my mother's ES300 (when she lost one).

There are two steps. First you need to get a key blank and shell and have it cut. There are companies on eBay that will sell a key blank and shell and even cut it for you, based upon the key code or even a photo of the key groves. Second you need to get the magnetic module (interior) part of the key. These can be had used on eBay. There are instructions available on how to add the module to your car memory, but you need a master key that already works to do this process. I hope this helps.
Old 10-12-17, 11:36 AM
bltkmt
Driver School Candidate

It the "color me amazed" category, my son took it to an independent garage (he is in Clemson, SC) who ended up fixing the key (chip was found)...FOR FREE!!! Car started right up, so it clearly just the key. Amazed at the kindness of that garage and told my son to use him going forward.
Old 10-12-17, 04:35 PM
salimshah

That is good service.

Just remember there are 3 components of the key

1. Key Blade ... personalization by the grove. Master key and valet key have different grove [Master key can operate the glove compartment].

2. Remote ... lock, unlock, panic. Large group o remotes work on this frequency. Transmitter sends out a code and the receiver on detecting the code responds to the command. If the receiver gets a different code, it turns itself off and the owner has to use the key to unlock to reset the receiver.

3. Slug [commonly known as chip]. This emirates a signature magnetic field. Engine immobilizer is deactivated when the detector around the ignition switch sends the signal to the ecu, which matches with the stored signature.
There are two types of the stored signatures .. a) master b) registered_but_not_master

With master key in ignition, a new key can be registered or even set as secondary master.

Salim
Old 10-12-17, 05:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
That is good service.

Just remember there are 3 components of the key
1. Key Blade ... personalization by the grove. Master key and valet key have different grove [Master key can operate the glove compartment].
2. Remote ... lock, unlock, panic. Large group o remotes work on this frequency. Transmitter sends out a code and the receiver on detecting the code responds to the command. If the receiver gets a different code, it turns itself off and the owner has to use the key to unlock to reset the receiver.
3. Slug [commonly known as chip]. This emirates a signature magnetic field. Engine immobilizer is deactivated when the detector around the ignition switch sends the signal to the ecu, which matches with the stored signature.
Salim
I'm aware of 1 and 2. Not sure what 3 is. Where is it? In the blank or in the electronics.
Old 10-12-17, 09:24 PM
salimshah

Keith:

I dont have the first gen RX key to open and confirm.

For the valet key, there is no electronic module, so it is in the shell.

For the master key it might be at the blade end of the module or molded once again in the shell. I have heard of folks getting a new key blank and moving the electronics module into the new shell. If that is correct then the slug is in the bottom end of the electronic module. In either case, the slug does not get any power from the remote battery. It is a passive device, which just creates flux.

The slug should be roughly 2mm in diameter of some ferrite material.

test: open up the key and remove the electronics and keep it far from the vehicle. Now try to start the RX without the remote/electronics near. If it starts then the slug is in the shell. If it fails to starts, bring the remote close to the base of the key and try to start. If it does then it is in the molded part of the remote.

If any one can confirm, I will paste this in the Having problems, start here sticky.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 10-12-17 at 09:30 PM.