RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KEYs for the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 08:45 AM
Pughnitive
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pughnitive
Hey all, I'm slightly changing direction here. I've searched high and low to find out the right info for this, but no luck.

I'm looking for any and all information about what key chip works with the 99 RX300. I have a working master. My second remote transponder key (bought off ebay a couple years ago) does not work. Apparently it has a newer chip. 4D I think....A locksmith told me I need a 4C chip. But when I search with that info I don't find very much. I keep coming up with HYQ12BBT or NI4TMTX or both in the same listing. I should say that my master has no writing on it so I have no idea what the FCC ID is. Most of the auctions on ebay say to "Make sure you know your FCC ID." Anyone know what this number is?

I thought I found the perfect thread here, but gp1200x only says the remote transponder master key is #8501. This confuses me since I haven't seen that number associated with any of my other findings online.

Any help is much appreciated. Love it here at CL.
The reason I want specifics on FCC ID and whatnot is so that myself and others can trust ebay and other sites to get remote transponder keys for under $100. I bought two remote transponder keys on ebay that said they are for a 1999 RX 300 and neither of them work. They both have the wrong chipset. I have two keys that are cut, but the electronics don't match my car. Can I just buy the chip (4C I think) to replace the one in my key?
Old 12-30-16, 01:22 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement Key with all functions - less $?

We cannot find one of my master keys for my early '99 RX300. I still have the other (along with the original key numbers, etc.). I am looking for a less-pricey alternative to replace my original key with a quality, OEM-type product with programming instructions. I see there are lots of aftermarket keys available, but I want all of the original features to work, i.e. locks, windows, sunroof, like the original. A local locksmith quoted me $180 including programming, which I'm sure is less than the dealer. The funny thing is, he quoted the same price for my Subaru Outback which only locks & unlocks the doors (less complicated programming?). Is this reasonable?

Has anyone sourced a less expensive full replacement key lately (not just the shell)?

Will you share the source?

How do I program it (completely - not just to start the car)?

Thanks very much!

Last edited by LA4Mead; 12-30-16 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Edit because we located the long-missing key.
Old 12-31-16, 06:50 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just went through this recently. It is a 3-step process.

First, you need to get a used key on eBay from a '99 RX300 that, as previously stated, has matching FCC certification number. You use the innards from this key and discard the outer shell. This will run maybe $50-$100.

Second, you go to one of the companies on e-Bay that will provide a shell cut to your key code. Some will even work from a photo of your key. If you don't have the key code, maybe your dealer will give it to you. These cut shells are fairly inexpensive.

Third, you can find on-line instructions for the sequence you go through to program your car to the new key. This involves steps like pressing on the brake pedal a certain number of times, etc.
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (12-31-16)
Old 02-04-17, 06:42 AM
elecinsp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, I have a 03 Rx300. after owning it for the past two years, I decided to get the passenger front and rear door locks repaired. Not bad 200 bucks for both. Anyway, I don't know if I even have any of the original remotes, to determine if i have a master or valet key. I only have one remote with buttons and one without. They will both start the car but not do anything remotely.I replaced the battery in the remotes. When I press any button, the remote with the buttons, all it does is flash on the remote. Originally I was told If all of the door locks weren't working the remote wouldn't work. One of the reasons I got the doors repaired. I have seen many different type of instructions to do it remotely but some of them wamt you to determine if its the master key. looking for something to point me in the right direction to help use my remote to operate . Thanks
Old 04-02-17, 05:00 PM
leo108
Driver School Candidate

Default It worked

Thanks for the instructions, I tried a different set I found online that didn't work but this was a snap.
Old 04-13-17, 12:38 PM
maida519
Driver School Candidate

Smile Lexus RX300 Key

I have had to replace my key several times due to the cheapness of the casing cracking and spent 120- plus for a key made. I highly recommend the following websight. I sent them my broke key and within 1 week I was made complete for $56.00. Highly recommend them. http://www.sparecarkeys.com/
Old 04-16-17, 02:34 PM
xiang
Driver School Candidate

I just bought this one

Amazon Amazon

and will swap the electronics from my old master. I have 2 and they are both cracked in the same way. Seems like a design flaw. Hardest thing might be finding a locksmith that can properly cut it. I'll post if I'm successful or not. For $8 it's worth a shot.