RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KEYs for the SUV

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 04:08 AM
brushe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there such a thing as having too many keys programmed in car's computer (the site I bought new uncut key/transponder said 3 is limit)? If so how then how do I program another one as I only have one working key/transponder?
Old 08-29-10, 05:05 PM
sebrant
Driver School Candidate

HELP! I only have the flat/wallet key to my 2000 rx 300. This key only opens the doors and does not start the ignition. Can I get a replacement key made that will start the car? If so, how do I do that and how do I do that for the cheapest price? thanks
Old 08-30-10, 08:15 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sebrant
HELP! I only have the flat/wallet key to my 2000 rx 300. This key only opens the doors and does not start the ignition. Can I get a replacement key made that will start the car? If so, how do I do that and how do I do that for the cheapest price? thanks
Is this just the plastic key? If so and thats the only key you have then you will have to get a new ecu and keys from dealer. I was lucky enough to have the emergency metal key with transponder card so i was able to get other keys cut off that key and i just zipped tied the transponder to the ignition so the ecu reads it to start.
Old 09-02-10, 09:18 AM
RNDRX
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 RX 330 Key programming

How about for an 04 RX 330?
Old 09-05-10, 03:39 PM
fandi1
Driver School Candidate

hello and thank you....
i was able to program my 2nd master key (Lost insides on one key when scrue got lost) to start my 99 rx300. BUT, i can't open doors or hatch with it... is there something i did wrong?
thank you again
Old 09-06-10, 10:15 AM
Jbush
Driver School Candidate

I made my Lexus RS 350 2008 key from a guy in Dollar Store near Finch and Weston (west end of Toronto) for $ 85 plus taxes (key, programming and cutting included). I am happy that I have another back up key in case I loose mine.

J Bush
Old 12-12-10, 07:20 PM
RichardRoy
Driver School Candidate

Default Can I "duplicate" the original RX300 key

I have a device installed in my 1999 RX300 that allows me to start it from across the yard with my original key, while I'm still inside my home (by pressing the lock button twice quickly which also simultaneously locks the doors). I use it to pre-heat the interior and defrost the windshield shortly before I'm ready to go on frigid Winter mornings (by not turning the heater off and turning the defroster on before I remove the key from the ignition the night before, when I remotely start it up in the am the heater and defroster automatically come on and the car is warm by the time I get inside. It's great!

The device requires installing a duplicate operational key inside an enclosure behind the dashboard (that also contains the device's electronic components) and wiring it to the ignition.

Now (i.e., 12 years later), some of the buttons on my programmed key are becoming unreliable (likely tiny internal key fob contacts losing some continuity) and I need to make another programmed key.

If I understand this forum thread correctly (?) the Step #9 instruction (i.e., "Place the pre-programmed key (still covered with the aluminum foil) into the ignition and verify that the SUV will not start since the transponder signal cannot be read.") appears to disable the pre-programmed key's existing transponder code and causes a new operational code to be created within the key.

If this is correct, then the duplicate key behind my dashboard will still have the former code so the remote startup function may not work ?

My questions are: (a) does this procedure disable or erase the existing transponder code and cause the vehicle to create a "different" code within the new key that works, and if so (b) are you aware of any way to simply "duplicate" the existing code within the new key (so the transponder code within the key behind my dashboard will continue to startup the vehicle when I press the lock button on the new key) ?

A bit confused ,
Richard Roy
Old 09-05-11, 07:43 AM
cobrak69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcramton
I have a question about step No. 6 below: Should it be the NEW UN-PROGRAMMED key that is inserted at this point? If not, should the new key just be present in the vehicle?

Lexus 1999-2003 RX 300 Key Programming - For NEW CUT KEYS
Process works with all keys - remotes, valet, non-remotes

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key. Place the key into the ignition and verify that the SUV will start.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key.
I tried this with my newly cut Key/Fob combo and the key programed in and will start the car, but the remote is still not working. How do I program that in? I attempted to repeat this procedure but it wouldn't let me do it a second time since it now recognizes the key. Any help would be great.
Old 11-08-11, 06:44 PM
Anduran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cobrak69
I tried this with my newly cut Key/Fob combo and the key programed in and will start the car, but the remote is still not working. How do I program that in? I attempted to repeat this procedure but it wouldn't let me do it a second time since it now recognizes the key. Any help would be great.
I have the same problem now, I can start the engine, but the remote button does not work
Old 01-09-12, 10:11 PM
jorchang
Driver School Candidate

i believe programming the keyless entry fob requires a separate process:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7519153_repr...s-key-fob.html
Old 01-17-12, 04:51 AM
Anduran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jorchang
i believe programming the keyless entry fob requires a separate process:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7519153_repr...s-key-fob.html
Thank you, yes, I did it!
Old 01-18-12, 06:30 PM
amblyn
Rookie

If i but a new key shell i can just transfer inside of my broken one into new shell and get new one cut and it will work right??
Old 01-22-12, 11:48 PM
jorchang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Anduran
Thank you, yes, I did it!
I'm having trouble programming my keyless fob. Been working on it all day and can't get into the program mode(where the locks cycle automatically). Do you have any tips? Did you start the car in Step 6?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-12, 04:10 AM
Anduran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jorchang
I'm having trouble programming my keyless fob. Been working on it all day and can't get into the program mode(where the locks cycle automatically). Do you have any tips? Did you start the car in Step 6?

Thanks!
I got the instruction in a different forum, seems the step 6 in your link is not clear, I think the step 6 just let you turn the key to the on position, do not start the car
good luck
Old 03-22-12, 09:55 PM
mno221
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have question, my master key case is broke and is being held together with tape, the remote does not work either. I have another remote that work but the key is broke off, dont ask how that happen. I found a lock smith that suggested making just a regular key from the master and programing it and just using the remote that work to lock and unlock the car, that way i dont have to worry about the case breaking again. Have anyone done this before?

Quick Reply: KEYs for the SUV