RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

KEYs for the SUV

Old 09-08-12, 10:06 AM
karolmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Price for Lexus Dealer cut Master Keys!!!

Go to www.sewellparts.com
Create/register new account (major discount when you do this first)
you will need your VIN# in registration -easier to search for parts also
then: select Master Key for your vehicle (around $170)
go to shopping cart (you should see a drop in price mine was down to $145
THEN for promo code put in: 909RK and get another discount
My key for Lexus RX 400H out the door with shipping was $138.00!

You will need to program your key when you get it. Heard not too hard and you can find that on this website!

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
LA4Mead (12-30-16)
Old 12-14-12, 12:27 PM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Programming the uncut key with tin foil seems foolish. Why go through that trouble before it's cut to turn the cylinders? Maybe the locksmith makes a cutting mistake, etc. Isn't it better, and easier, to have it cut, then program it, and save your tin foil for other things?

Can anyone answer this? Can the working valet key be used to program more working valet keys?
Old 12-14-12, 10:49 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by beachlover
\ snip

Can anyone answer this? Can the working valet key be used to program more working valet keys?
Master key and valet key differ in the way the key blade is cut. This difference prevents the valet key to operate certain locks.

Please take the following as my opinion and not a fact:
All smart keys sends a code to the ecu. The code is matched by the ecu to determine if it is a master key, a valet key, or a unmatched key. Registered master key and valet key will disable the immobilizer (allow spark plugs to fire).
Master key is needed to get into programming mode [ecu matches the master key code ... like a password]. Without a registered Master key (password) you can not accept other keys.
So a valet with a valet key can not program spare keys.

Salim
Old 12-15-12, 07:04 AM
danski50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah

Please take the following as my opinion and not a fact:
All smart keys sends a code to the ecu. The code is matched by the ecu to determine if it is a master key, a valet key, or a unmatched key. Registered master key and valet key will disable the immobilizer (allow spark plugs to fire).
Master key is needed to get into programming mode [ecu matches the master key code ... like a password]. Without a registered Master key (password) you can not accept other keys.
So a valet with a valet key can not program spare keys.

Salim
I just started to follow this thread and have the same issue. Our only master key has been lost, so all we have is the valet and credit card keys. Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to enter the programming mode with the valet key and confirm that 5 keys are programmed in my ECM. I guess I should test whether the valet key will add a new key before ordering the replacement. Will let you know if how that turns out.

1992 SC300
2000 RX300
2010 RX330

Last edited by danski50; 12-19-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-15-12, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by danski50
I just started to follow this thread and have the same issue. Our only master key has been lost, so all we have is the valet and credit card keys. Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to enter the programming mode with the valet key and confirm that 5 keys are programmed in my ECM. I guess I should test whether the valet key will add a new key before ordering the replacement. Will let you know if how that turns out.
Iin that case you can have the key cut to operate all the locks and then have a new masterk-key in procession. Good luck and keep us posted.

In fact I would urge any one who is getting a key to try to use the valet key as a source to register and we can confirm.

Salim
Old 12-27-12, 12:00 PM
danski50
Driver School Candidate

Iin that case you can have the key cut to operate all the locks and then have a new masterk-key in procession. Good luck and keep us posted.

In fact I would urge any one who is getting a key to try to use the valet key as a source to register and we can confirm.

Salim
So I ended up buying two new master keys, one with remote, from Sewell Lexus. ($205 cut) To answer part of the question on this forum. Yes, you can program the "remote" function using the valet key and the instructions found on this forum. No, you cannot program the key into ECU using the valet key to override the "immobilization" function. The security light will start to blink in step 4 of the procedure which is when you pull the key out of the ignition switch. So I am off to the dealer to program the ECU. (Unless someone knows of a cheaper location here in Austin.)

Dan

1992 SC300
2000 RX300
2010 RX350
Old 12-27-12, 02:29 PM
salimshah

So I ended up buying two new master keys, one with remote, from Sewell Lexus. ($205 cut) To answer part of the question on this forum. Yes, you can program the "remote" function using the valet key and the instructions found on this forum. No, you cannot program the key into ECU using the valet key to override the "immobilization" function. The security light will start to blink in step 4 of the procedure which is when you pull the key out of the ignition switch. So I am off to the dealer to program the ECU. (Unless someone knows of a cheaper location here in Austin.)

Dan

1992 SC300
2000 RX300
2010 RX350
You may be out of luck on this one ,,, the dealer too would be unable to register a new key (for engine imbolizer) without a master key. Let us know what you find.

Salim
Old 01-21-13, 10:43 AM
danski50
Driver School Candidate

You may be out of luck on this one ,,, the dealer too would be unable to register a new key (for engine imbolizer) without a master key. Let us know what you find.

Salim

So, after an appropriate waiting period to see if the old master key would be found, I called my friend at the dealer to see if they could reprogram the ECU for the new master keys. They were able to "re-seed" (their term for the process) the computer for the new master keys. My cost was $125. Lessons learned: always buy a second master for Lexus vehicles. It's probably a good thing that we cannot program (for engine immobilize) from the valet key. If we can do it so can a thief.
Old 01-21-13, 12:22 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

... Lessons learned: always buy a second master for Lexus vehicles...
I bought my RX used. It came with two Masters, a sub-key and a flat key.

I had no idea they only came with one Master and often wondered how people lost all their keys.
Old 01-21-13, 01:56 PM
salimshah

When you take delivery of a new vehicle, they used to come with,
2 master keys, 1 valet key, 1 flat key. [the flat key would only allow you to lock-unlock the doors]

Later models had a magnetic id that would allow you to start with the flat key.

Salim
Old 01-21-13, 02:09 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, that makes sense.
When I have bought new vehicles (Ford, Toyota etc...) they always came with two and I had a third made.

When you buy used you're lucky to get one key.
Old 03-10-13, 11:36 AM
RedoneLex
4th Gear

Interesting. But I think line 7 of instructions means to say insert new key
Old 12-12-13, 05:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
Sorry if this is obvious but which key is considered valet vs. master? Our car did not come with the remote key and we use the key to open doors, etc. Is that considered a valet key? I guess my bottom line question is there an inexpensive way to get a keyless "key"? I remember the dealer wanted ~$250. Sorry about going off a tangent.
The below picture shows in order, master key, valet key and wallet credit card key(not sure what the correct terminology is for that).

Picture borrowed from https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-parking.html

If the dealer only wanted $250 to purchase and program a master key then do it! And ask them how they are doing it. They certainly aren't replacing the ECU for that price, flashing it is a possibility. But maybe they know a trick that some other dealer don't.
Old 12-12-13, 07:22 AM
salimshah

My apologies for mostly repeating stuff here..

The groove on the valet key is different than the master key, which does not allow access to the glove compartment and the trunk [obviously that makes more sense in sedan/coupe].

Valet key still has the magnetic slug with its signature stored in the ecu to enable the imobilizer.

Master key's slug's magnetic signature is stored in the ECU.

Now the controversy:
To register another key in the ecu, master key is needed (akin password) to enable registering new keys. A member posted that a certain place he was able to get a duplicate made from valet key. If any one finds the the thread, please provide a link here.

Salim
Old 12-12-13, 07:45 AM
Z07
Driver

Just to add, I've read/heard from different sources that the credit card key is a master. All keys contain an RFID.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KEYs for the SUV