RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Pick up on RX300

Old 11-13-11, 04:09 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick up on RX300

My company has a 2010, Toyota RAV4 V6, the pick up on that car is amazing, it takes off like a bullet.

I comparing it to my 2001, RX 300. Since I have a V6, 3L engine wouldn't it have almost the same pick up or power?

Also, I was reading the volo chip. Do you guys think its even worth buy this?
http://voloperformance.com/

I was taking the time to read about DIY.
I change the 3 front spark plugs, and now i have to do the the 3 in the back.

I was thinking of adjusting the Accelerator cable modification for better response,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...se-advise.html

plus the window and the servo.
Old 11-13-11, 04:51 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by gigapipe2
My company has a 2010, Toyota RAV4 V6, the pick up on that car is amazing, it takes off like a bullet.

I comparing it to my 2001, RX 300. Since I have a V6, 3L engine wouldn't it have almost the same pick up or power?

Also, I was reading the volo chip. Do you guys think its even worth buy this?
http://voloperformance.com/

I was taking the time to read about DIY.
I change the 3 front spark plugs, and now i have to do the the 3 in the back.

I was thinking of adjusting the Accelerator cable modification for better response,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...se-advise.html

plus the window and the servo.
That engine the V6 Rav4 is a whole different puppy from the one in the RX300.

The V6 Rav4 has the 2GR-FE engine found in the 2007-2009 RX350, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine#2GR-FE

Compared to the 1MZ-FE engine found in the RX300, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MZ_engine#1MZ-FE

There's about a 50 hp difference and .5 L in favor of the V6 on the Rav4 in addition to all the support (electronics, transmission, etc.)

There are some chips like the one from Jet Performance that I know of a few Solara owners used (also uses a similar 1MZ-FE), but the ideal thing is to tweak the exhaust, intake, etc. (you'll get the ideas on my car domain page) first. If I can get some more $$$ and time, I'd love to do some engine management as opposed to going the chip route.

Tightening the accelerator cable is a very simple modification and it's definitely noticeable.
Old 11-13-11, 06:03 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

dont forget the RX probably weights more also...
Old 11-13-11, 08:38 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You'll find those three rear plugs take a LOT longer than the front three!
Old 11-13-11, 08:51 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys..

Lexmex, I did see your website.. its hot man..
When I saw it I wanted to change the my intake and exhaust too. I honestly don't know how or where to start. Roughly how much in total do I would have to spend for the upgrade?

As far as the chip in your opinion do you think the chip messes up the car ECU, then messing up the mechanical equipment (domino effect)?

thanks again guys..!
Old 11-14-11, 06:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

thanks guys..

Lexmex, I did see your website.. its hot man..
When I saw it I wanted to change the my intake and exhaust too. I honestly don't know how or where to start. Roughly how much in total do I would have to spend for the upgrade?

As far as the chip in your opinion do you think the chip messes up the car ECU, then messing up the mechanical equipment (domino effect)?

thanks again guys..!
There's kind of a limit to what you can do depending on your state (emissions tests) and in terms of the intake exhaust. The mufflers you can get all over the net, and generally shouldn't run more than $150 max. Intakes are another story and they can range anywhere from $50 to a few hundred. A free flowing muffler will give you probably the best power/dollar ratio.

You also have to factor in how long you are going to keep your vehicle. I've spent a lot of time, effort and $$$ into it, but plan on keeping it for as long as I can.

The better advice first is to maintain the vehicle right and upgrade it there first (better fluids especially). In these economic times, maintenance has to take priority over modifications (unless it's going to help in the maintenance department).

The thing with the chip (and I know this from working on my cousin's Golf in Mexico), is that if you have reached your limits on modifications, then a chip isn't such a bad thing. It's the icing on the cake if you don't plan on doing anything more. I considered a Jet chip when I was in Mexico (and still might), but also thinking in the future of going an emanage route or something different. If I had a lot more $$$ and time to burn, I'd do the turbocharger idea I've always had (there's a supercharger, too, but it's very pricey not worth the hp gains). In addition, you've got to consider that if you are going a turbo route, you need a transmission upgrade (can't stress this enough). I've already done tranny work on mine, but do want to upgrade it further.

I don't advocate a chip if you haven't done modifications, it can help, but you're better off doing other things first to get the chip's full benefit.
Old 11-14-11, 12:18 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

I rarely drive my RX, the only time I drive is on the weekends, or when I have to take the babysitter home, which lives about 2 miles out. My RX has 86k miles. I think I got another 100k or more to go. I'm also planing to keep it as long as I can. I'm trying to save money too. Trying to buy a house. All I really want from my RX. The iPod connection, which I bought this weekend. Replace the headlights & fog lights with HIDs. And finally the bumper guards. Like everything else I need more $$$ lol. Currently I need to fix the servo and the passenger window, which has a mind of its own.

I don't think Turbo charge is for me. I have to spend my money on diapers and baby toys lol. So I don't want to spend too much $$.

I did get 4brand new tires and a brand new roters and pads. Plus tints in the summer.

With the pick up. I guess I should make a visit to the local intake and exhaust shop some where in the Bronx and see how much they would charge. But in your experiance its worth upgrade. And again that is not going to mess up the transmission or anything. Right?

By any chance do u have a system in your truck. I have 2 amps and I was thinking of installing it. But I didn't want to lose the trunk space or perhaps just selling the amps. But if u say its worth it I might reconsider :-)
Old 11-14-11, 12:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I rarely drive my RX, the only time I drive is on the weekends, or when I have to take the babysitter home, which lives about 2 miles out. My RX has 86k miles. I think I got another 100k or more to go. I'm also planing to keep it as long as I can. I'm trying to save money too. Trying to buy a house. All I really want from my RX. The iPod connection, which I bought this weekend. Replace the headlights & fog lights with HIDs. And finally the bumper guards. Like everything else I need more $$$ lol. Currently I need to fix the servo and the passenger window, which has a mind of its own.

I don't think Turbo charge is for me. I have to spend my money on diapers and baby toys lol. So I don't want to spend too much $$.

I did get 4brand new tires and a brand new roters and pads. Plus tints in the summer.

With the pick up. I guess I should make a visit to the local intake and exhaust shop some where in the Bronx and see how much they would charge. But in your experiance its worth upgrade. And again that is not going to mess up the transmission or anything. Right?

By any chance do u have a system in your truck. I have 2 amps and I was thinking of installing it. But I didn't want to lose the trunk space or perhaps just selling the amps. But if u say its worth it I might reconsider :-)
No system in my truck.

An intake/exhaust won't mess up the the tranny.

Again, if you're going to keep your RX300 for many years, an direct flow exhaust will free up some power (I've not seen the low end loss that everyone keeps talking about when I did that modification originally many years ago on mine) and a K&N filter. The intake (to work properly needs to have a ram air approach down to the lower bumper and that requires some significant work if you're not used to it, but a K&N filter and direct flow muffler should give a bump.

However, I'd recommend putting the $$$ on maintenance items first and improved fluids.
Old 11-14-11, 08:43 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

Of course maintence comes first. But can u give me some ideas besides the regular oil change.
Old 11-15-11, 05:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Of course maintence comes first. But can u give me some ideas besides the regular oil change.
Start with a direct flow muffler. If you do a search in this subforum and search under magnaflow, you'll see several examples of people who have added such mufflers on to their vehicles. Of the intakes I like out there, the Secret Weapon Intake from Weapon R is my favorite, but it needs an attachment hose on the front to reroute air from the lower side of the bumper to the intake itself.