RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Throttle please advise!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-08, 10:24 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle please advise!?

there were rare occassions were i would be on freeway or going on offramp to push down on the pedal to pick up some speed, but however i had my foot all the way down on pedal but stayed at the same speed gradually slowly going up, i let go of the pedal then pushed down full throttle again now it worked it was pickking up good speed... any advise if this is natural or is something not functioning right? it can get spooky if your trying to pass traffic then it wont let the accelration loose when you want it to? it has happened twice so far thanks
Old 04-24-08, 12:26 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have you tried using the power button?!

if i need to make a quick pass, i push the power button to ON and then tap the pedal until it downshifts and then i hit it...

works pretty well.

you can also tighten the throttle cable.. LEXMEX showed me a thread here on how to do it and i did it.. easy DIY
Old 04-24-08, 03:01 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround

if i need to make a quick pass, i push the power button to ON and then tap the pedal until it downshifts and then i hit it...

works pretty well.

you can also tighten the throttle cable.. LEXMEX showed me a thread here on how to do it and i did it.. easy DIY
are you talking about over drive button 3 gears
Old 04-24-08, 03:02 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniround

works pretty well.

can you link me lexmex throttle cable link
Old 04-25-08, 06:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

You have to move the two nuts on this assembly for the accelerator cable as far to the left as possible. This will enable upon fully pressing the accelerator pedal for the throttle body butterflies to open 90 degrees horizontally. They are 10 mm.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle please advise!?-accel_cord.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-11-09 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 04:27 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You have to move the two nuts on this assembly for the accelerator cable as far to the left as possible. This will enable uipon fully pressing the accelerator pedal for the throttle body butterflies to open 90 degrees horizontally.
thanks lexmex you always have been a lexus enthusiast! glad to have met you... you have alot of expert knowledge and plus you are tempting me to buy an aftermarket exhaust maybe magnaflows or thermal? i want to release some restriction so motor runs more easier with ease and could sure canuse several miles extra and the muffler will pay it self off soon vs gas prices 91octane is a whopping $4.30 a gallon so i am thinking into that muffler upgrade maybe just flange back? have you heard of thermal mufflers lexmex they are straight through exhaust loud and you can feel a difference. thanks
Old 04-26-08, 06:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The flange back idea is quite good. What really boosted up my power immensely was throwing the y-pipe (twin 2.25 inch piping) back from the resonator to the muffler itself. That takes a bit more work and a good exhaust shop to do, but the first step in any exhuast, in my opinion, is the direct flow muffler on the back. You can also have a 1 entry, 2 exit muffler and that can also help flow and give just a bit more power.
-------------------------------------------------------------
On a side comment, I was in a Pep Boys yesterday and I couldn't believe the pricing on the mufflers, particularly FlowMasters. Everything was under $100 USD, whereas the same exact mufflers would easily run several hundred dollars back in Mexico. Oh and finally, I get to buy my precious beloved fluids. Good to be back in the U.S.
Old 05-02-08, 11:57 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You have to move the two nuts on this assembly for the accelerator cable as far to the left as possible. This will enable uipon fully pressing the accelerator pedal for the throttle body butterflies to open 90 degrees horizontally.
i tried to do this proceedure felt like left nut was tight? are youy suppose to have two adjustable wrenches on each nut? i used 1, also that rubber nipple is it natural when you move butterfly , the cable doesnt slide in smoothly i was about to spray it with wd40 but would rather have your expert advise. also how do you stiffen the accelerator cable i feel some play movement thanks, for some reason i tighten the bolt but did not move nothing to far left i felt better response and acceleration? i could imaginge how nice the magnaflows would sound on acceleration there was lag on the pedal before not much no more
Old 05-03-08, 06:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You might want to show me a photo of where you are at.

There will still be some play with the cable afterwards. I would move the left nut first and then the one on the right.
Old 02-21-10, 07:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I tried to adjust mine today but it looks like is has already been done. I tired moving the nut farthest to the left first but it just didn't want to budge. Can anyone confirm this?
Attached Thumbnails Throttle please advise!?-pic-0044.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-pic-0047.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-pic-0052.jpg  
Old 02-21-10, 07:59 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You might consider changing the transfer case oil. I hear that could possibly be an issue on delivering the power to the wheels.
Old 02-21-10, 08:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Transfer case or gear oil issues can cause some hesitation between gears.

With regard to the photo, let me take a photo of mine some time today and then you can compare it.
Old 02-21-10, 09:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

99rx-I've just recently changed transfer case, both differentials and transmission. I don't have any hesitation but I figured i might as well just do the mod for fun.

Lexmex- Alright thanks! I'll check it out once you upload it.
Old 02-21-10, 10:56 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

People contemplating the slack adjustment need to know that the adjustment is based on 2 lock nuts. You need two wrenches.

After you loosen them, roughly reposition the nut close to the rubber/tip end and pull the hollow bolt towards the driver-side wheel (dsw)to take up the slack. Spin the dsw-nut to face and shake the assembly so that it lines up. You can keep it loose while some one can push the gas pedal. Once you have the proper alignment, you should not feel any binding. Now with 2 wrenches you can tighten the nuts and hopefully not throw the alignment off.

IMPORTANT: Reconfirm that the cable moves freely [if you leave a bit of slack you can observe that the butterfly cable wheel can pull the cable and leave a bit of slack]. Lubing the cable can be bad in the long run. You get grime build up and can lead to sticking. The rubber tip keeps the pre-lubed part of the cable from picking up grime.

CABLE STICKING WILL CAUSE LACK OF SLOW DOWN AND OR UNINTENDED ACCELERATION

Salim
Old 02-21-10, 06:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I've actually had it stick once in Mexico and had to lube it. You do have to keep a watchful eye out.

Here are the photos I just took. This is the at its fullest extent.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle please advise!?-img_2099.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-img_2100.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-img_2101.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-img_2102.jpg   Throttle please advise!?-img_2103.jpg  

Quick Reply: Throttle please advise!?