RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Second generations VS. Third Generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 10:55 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second generations VS. Third Generation

Hi there

My 2005 Rx 330 lease expires in about 30 days and I am debating whether to lease a 2010 lexus rx 350. I test drove 2 of them at 2 different dealers and found that the new rx 350 is a lot cheaper feeling that my previous rx 330. Do any 2010 owners going from a second generation to a third generation feel the same way? I dont like the new dashboard it is way to cluttered and not clean looking like the second generation and the door sills dont even light up in the 2010 rx. The unlock/lock button and the window buttons are so cheap as well with no lights in them anymore. The 2010 exhaust doesnt have a chrome tip like the rx 330. The engine is soo noisy compared to my rx 330 even though I know the 2010 has a larger engine. The new 2010 doesnt feel refined at all and feels like a cheap toyota. Ok my rant is over.

Anyways, does anyone know if you can negotiate the buyout price in canada cause I know you can in the states I believe?

Thanks
Old 08-05-09, 11:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

If you dont like it, dont force yourself to buy it. The illuminated door sills are an option with one of the packages, the window buttons should still have those tiny little lights on them (and if not, not a deal breaker for me), the exhuast was left out intentionally for a cleaner look in the rear.
Old 08-06-09, 06:35 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloger
Hi there

My 2005 Rx 330 lease expires in about 30 days and I am debating whether to lease a 2010 lexus rx 350. I test drove 2 of them at 2 different dealers and found that the new rx 350 is a lot cheaper feeling that my previous rx 330. Do any 2010 owners going from a second generation to a third generation feel the same way? I dont like the new dashboard it is way to cluttered and not clean looking like the second generation and the door sills dont even light up in the 2010 rx. The unlock/lock button and the window buttons are so cheap as well with no lights in them anymore. The 2010 exhaust doesnt have a chrome tip like the rx 330. The engine is soo noisy compared to my rx 330 even though I know the 2010 has a larger engine. The new 2010 doesnt feel refined at all and feels like a cheap toyota. Ok my rant is over.

Anyways, does anyone know if you can negotiate the buyout price in canada cause I know you can in the states I believe?

Thanks
Many of us here had Gen1 or Gen2 and most are pleased with 10RX. Myself had 05RX and can definitely see improvement in many areas. Canada may have slightly different features/options so I am not aware of “lighting” differences on Canadian model but US specs have more lighting in 10RX compare to 05RX [except for Home-link button doesn’t have light at all]. Far as I know 10RX has more “lighting” [in LED] compare to 05RX.

A difference between 330 and 350 is that 350 is timing chain instead of “quieter” timing belt which may contribute to little less noise in 330. IMO, engine noise compare to 05RX and 10RX, I can’t tell the difference. 350 Owners will also save about $2000 [dealer cost] because there is no t-belt to replace during 90k maintenance.

More engineering went into controlling interior noise and that is definitely noticeable. Physical dimension(s) are almost identical but designing of 10RX which I like have “open” feel which gives an illusion of being larger inside. 10RX dashboard has “lines” which I think makes it more appearing and “flow” compare to symmetrically layout interior of 05RX. Symmetrical design is in almost all vehicles but Lexus got creative with 10RX’s interior and I think Lexus did a good job “breaking away” from tradition. Lexus probably rushed the execution so few items are missing or lack luster design such as location of clock, Temp buttons, power outlet, and etc.

You mentioned the window buttons; 05RX had cheap looking plastic trim where as 10RX have wood trims. Physical buttons itself seems to be the exact same buttons and same buttons used in almost all Toyota vehicles. You should test drive/see other new make/models as a lot of new “good” CUV/SUV are now out in this category such as 10SRX which has the three “bug-eye” display console and symmetrically layout center console just like Gen2 RX. I don’t have patient to wait a month but some can patiently wait for years for the “right” model so if you really want the current Gen3 RX but want revised version, wait for 13RX when mid-year revision RX should be release.
Old 08-06-09, 09:07 AM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why RX10 made you feel "cheaper"?? This is very personal. RX10 isn't perfect in all items.

In April, when searching for new SUV, one of dealers had '09RX and '10RX next to each other in the showroom. Well, maybe 'cause I'm not the 1st/2nd Gen owners and don't have the big heart for them, I dislike what I saw and felt on that '09RX. IMO.

Btw,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...old-model.html
Old 08-06-09, 09:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lexus calls it 'the pursuit' for a reason

Aloger, I feel your pain. I absolutely love my 04 330. And I have to agree with your assessment. Having gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen to soon 3rd gen, Lexus missed the mark on the interior. The dash is strange and the controls are a bit cheap looking. There is also a lot less wood. No door sills except in lux package is annoying. But the drive is what sold me. The trans is so much smoother. Adding a six-speed really helped. The extra horses made a nice boost especially coming from a 330. But I didn't find the engine noise to be a problem. The cabin is well dampened in comparison to other SUVs.

I second sightdev's suggestion to go out and try other SUVs for comparison. I believe you'll find it's hard to match Lexus' quality. And if you decide to keep your 05, I'm sure you can find a way. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the leasing rules in Canada.

Best of luck.
Old 08-06-09, 01:25 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Aloger;4741777]Hi there

My 2005 Rx 330 lease expires in about 30 days and I am debating whether to lease a 2010 lexus rx 350. I test drove 2 of them at 2 different dealers and found that the new rx 350 is a lot cheaper feeling that my previous rx 330. Do any 2010 owners going from a second generation to a third generation feel the same way?

I agree.

The unlock/lock button and the window buttons are so cheap as well with no lights in them anymore.

I agree.

The engine is soo noisy compared to my rx 330 even though I know the 2010 has a larger engine.

I agree. We are sticking to Lexus only for the customer service. The new RX does have a few things we like but I am very aware of the limitations you mentioned.
Old 08-06-09, 02:07 PM
RXSF

the 350 engine (in the IS, ES, and now RX) has always been said to be noisy. Dont know why, it just isnt as refined as the 3.3
Old 08-06-09, 02:17 PM
yanje03
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aloger
Hi there

Thanks

I real like the new dashboard than old one. It is all about personly feeling. The new rx has better outlook definilty.
Old 08-06-09, 04:28 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

The timing chain is one of the main factor causing the noise... especially the low RPM and cold engine temp.
Old 08-06-09, 05:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by yanje03
I real like the new dashboard than old one. It is all about personly feeling. The new rx has better outlook definilty.
I'm sure the new dash will grow on me but it will definitely take some time to get used to. I will probably keep trying to put a key in the ignition
Old 08-07-09, 08:06 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

I have an '06 RX330 and have been spending a lot of time with the '10RX lately. I got it as a loaner for a week with a little over 1K miles - still new. I have to say that the '10 does feel cheaper than the 330. Here's what I observe:

- Gen2 RX had orange LED lighting on all interior door handles ('10 RX does not)
- Gen2 RX had more leather; '10 RX has fake leather on sides of seats (Luxury package gets upgraded with semi-analine)
- Gen2 RX has more wood all around; '10 RX really went cheap on the wood
- '10 RX climate buttons are "weird" - Passenger temp up/down buttons aren't vertically aligned.. takes a little getting used to
- Gen2 RX had standard illuminated door sills; now optional on '10 RX, and only for front
- for '10 RX, auto-dimming side mirrors don't totally dim; only the inner portions (95% of the mirror surface), the outer edges stay reflective and annoying at times
- '10 RX Sunroof shade feels super cheap, a thin piece of plastic
- And why only front 2 door work with smart key? that is, you can't touch and open the rear doors w/smart key - the ES gets all 4 doors standard!

That's my observation; I like the old RX more - I feel the new RX is very high tech but some cost cutting in the details makes me dissapointed.

I will not replace our '06 330 with another RX... I'm now waiting for the 2010 GX.

just my $0.02
Old 08-07-09, 08:58 PM
RXSF

I dont think the '10 has fake leather on the sides of the seats, but i agree with almost everything else you said about the car.

Im most annoyed by the sides of the doors, which just have the plastic paneling, and not a leather/vinyl covering for it. Also, the orange lighting inside the door handles never did much use, they werent bright enough to make a difference in the car, but certainly a nice luxury touch.

And the smart access should work on all the doors, if not that is a bad design.
Old 08-07-09, 09:01 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I have an '06 RX330 and have been spending a lot of time with the '10RX lately. I got it as a loaner for a week with a little over 1K miles - still new. I have to say that the '10 does feel cheaper than the 330. Here's what I observe:

- Gen2 RX had orange LED lighting on all interior door handles ('10 RX does not)
- Gen2 RX had more leather; '10 RX has fake leather on sides of seats (Luxury package gets upgraded with semi-analine)
- Gen2 RX has more wood all around; '10 RX really went cheap on the wood
- '10 RX climate buttons are "weird" - Passenger temp up/down buttons aren't vertically aligned.. takes a little getting used to
- Gen2 RX had standard illuminated door sills; now optional on '10 RX, and only for front
- for '10 RX, auto-dimming side mirrors don't totally dim; only the inner portions (95% of the mirror surface), the outer edges stay reflective and annoying at times
- '10 RX Sunroof shade feels super cheap, a thin piece of plastic
- And why only front 2 door work with smart key? that is, you can't touch and open the rear doors w/smart key - the ES gets all 4 doors standard!

That's my observation; I like the old RX more - I feel the new RX is very high tech but some cost cutting in the details makes me dissapointed.

I will not replace our '06 330 with another RX... I'm now waiting for the 2010 GX.

just my $0.02
Good to know RX10 has lots of improvable items Lexus should work on, and there is room for it to become a better vehicle. You're very observant of the difference btwn 2 cars. I don't know 2nd Gen, and was unaware of these absorbing issues. Most of items you said above are kind of trivial to me (maybe only me). But, I know this may be 'cause I wasn't attracted to 2nd Gen a few years ago. I disliked its steering wheel when touching those buttons. I wouldn't use "cheap" this word to describe how I felt. I just don't like it. There were reasons why Lexus did that design...

Hope RX11 or RX12 will make remarkable headway in all these items, and catch your eyes in the future.
Old 08-07-09, 09:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, it's interesting to compare. But having experience with the 2RX and showroom-experienced the 3RX, I came away feeling that the 3RX was improved. The leather seemed softer; you get side handles for the reclining rear seats (no more tilting to the back), plus the folding levers in the trunk space. I wonder about the ambient lighting, because the lighting on the 2RX is good but I expect the LEDs and other details on the new model would improve things.
Old 08-07-09, 10:23 PM
RXSF

interesting you bring in the folding levers in the trunk area. To me, they are the exact same levers and design found on the highlander and venza which bother me. Lexus should have included electrical tilt down and up as part of a package, or at least made those handles chrome like the other interior door handles

Quick Reply: Second generations VS. Third Generation