RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Master Key Programming for 99 RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 06:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
It looks like the electronics that you bought for the switch key are for the RX330/350. That has the automatic rear hatch, which the 300 doesn't.

You may want to verify with the seller that the electronics that you bought is fully compatible with the RX300, and ask if you can return/exchange it is it isn't.

The pictures in post #37 of the thread appear to be the proper "guts" that need to be used.
The newer RX's key fob's say "PWR Door" instead of the drawing of the trunk.
Old 07-02-13, 01:09 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDevoe
...You may want to verify with the seller that the electronics that you bought is fully compatible with the RX300, and ask if you can return/exchange it is it isn't....
my own darn fault! seller had a "check with dealer" statement. I was fooled because the key itself was the same as ours, but a different remote was inside. back to eBay to find the correct one, I see he's not the only seller with a mismatched key like that: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-RX-Remote-Key-Fob-HYQ-12BBT-3-button-PWR-DOOR-/171063407606?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d42c73f6&vxp=mtr
The good news is that it DOES start the car! The only drawback is that I must insert the key in the lock and turn in order to open the door, the way they did back in the stone age, lol! The other good news is that RX330 remotes seem to sell for MORE on eBay, so once I replace it, I might make a profit!!
Old 03-11-14, 04:07 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is FINALLY a better replacement key option for Lexus! The Eternity Key is stronger, lower cost than Lexus OEM keys and offers a lifetime warranty - so you will never have to buy another key again. Available exclusively at Lexus dealerships, so ask the dealer near you for it by name, or check out our list of current dealers at www.eternitykey.com
Old 08-13-17, 05:18 PM
Garyrf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearing old programing

I have a 2003 RX300 that has four keys already programmed. I believe this to be max. I have lost one of my master keys and would like to replace it. How do I clear the lost key so I can add the new one?.
Old 09-05-21, 09:44 AM
bordenj66
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
Folks - thought I was getting a good deal on a key from Sewell but upon calling about the instructions to program it, "Darryl" tells me that the instructions that I downloaded off of Sewell's site are incomplete and he tells me that they cannot disclose too much on the phone to help program it, and goes on to tell me to google "Lexus Key Programming" to which I get 10 different procedures for doing so. Kind of a hose job I would say, but on to the subject at hand.

The one procedure I found on CL was this, and I don't know if it works or not. Can anyone verify if they have used this procedure on a 1st gen RX (I assume the procedure is the same for '99-03 model years?) Also the last thing I want to do is freeze the car so that NO key will work in it. FYI the key I got was cut by Sewell too.

Many thanks - following is the procedure:

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO CREATE A SPARE KEY:
Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pdeal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.

Here are the additional steps I originally missed and had to execute to get the remote to work:

7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press any transmitter button for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again.
I was unsuccessful at pairing a new key at first, and the reason is because I misunderstood one of the steps in each of the programming sequences. I have therefore modified the procedure with clarifying statments in ALL CAPS below.

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO CREATE A SPARE KEY:
Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press AND RELEASE the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press AND RELEASE the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press AND RELEASE the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pdeal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Lock and Unlock the DRIVERS door MANUALLY (ie NOT WITH MASTER SWITCH) 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Lock and Unlock the DRIVERS door MANUALLY (ie NOT WITH MASTER SWITCH) another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (09-05-21)