RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Master Key Programming for 99 RX

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 09:26 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Master Key Programming for 99 RX

Folks - thought I was getting a good deal on a key from Sewell but upon calling about the instructions to program it, "Darryl" tells me that the instructions that I downloaded off of Sewell's site are incomplete and he tells me that they cannot disclose too much on the phone to help program it, and goes on to tell me to google "Lexus Key Programming" to which I get 10 different procedures for doing so. Kind of a hose job I would say, but on to the subject at hand.

The one procedure I found on CL was this, and I don't know if it works or not. Can anyone verify if they have used this procedure on a 1st gen RX (I assume the procedure is the same for '99-03 model years?) Also the last thing I want to do is freeze the car so that NO key will work in it. FYI the key I got was cut by Sewell too.

Many thanks - following is the procedure:

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO CREATE A SPARE KEY:
Before starting, press and release the Brake and Accelerator pedals at the same time.
1. Place an already programmed Master key in the keyway (Do not turn on)
2. Press the Gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press the Brake pedal 6 times.
4. Pull out the key.
5. Insert the new key but DO NOT turn it on.
6. Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).
7. Remove the key and press the Brake pdeal 1 time. The cycle is now closed.
The programming mode will end after 10 more seconds.

REGISTRATION OF RECOGNITION CODE
1. Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position (all other doors should be closed)
2. Put original key in ignition and pull out
3. Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
4. Close the door and open the door
5. Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times (complete each lock/unlock cycle within 1 second and
entire process in 40 seconds or less)
6. Put the new Master Key in the ignition, turn it to "on" and then off (with 1 second) and remove from the ignition.

Here are the additional steps I originally missed and had to execute to get the remote to work:

7. Press and hold transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5 seconds,
and then within 3 seconds; press any transmitter button for at least one second.
8. If within 3 seconds, door locks cycle one time, new transmitter code was accepted. If door locks
cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. If code was not accepted retry step 8 again.
The following users liked this post:
NYCGeordie (05-17-19)
Old 03-23-10, 01:12 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

All,

I am too impatient. I rolled the dice on the above procedures for marrying the key to the ECU and Registering the recognition code for the wireless functions and both procedures worked just fine. I have a new key and it works just like the existing master key.

Don't you just love it when people answer their own posts??!!??!

In any event, it can now be said that these procedures work with a 99 RX for sure, and there is no reason they wouldn't work on any 1st generation RX for that matter or even 2nd or possibly 3rd gen RX.

Icing on the cake is at least $60 bucks saved and more importantly for me, a 2 hour round trip to a Lexus dealership plus probably an hour for them to dilly dally around to get the programming done that took me less than 10 minutes.

JBL
Old 05-05-12, 10:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I just tried this procedure and I can't get it to work... Any tricks?
Old 05-05-12, 12:13 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by hypervish
I just tried this procedure and I can't get it to work... Any tricks?
Honestly it's been so long since I did this, and I remember when I did it, I thought...Hell I must have screwed up some place this is never going to work...and then the new key worked. Dumb luck on the first try (no tricks needed for me). I documented it back then on the attached. Good luck.
Attached Files
Old 05-05-12, 12:30 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I tried the instructions in the pdf but still can't get the key to start the car... I'll keep trying. lol

I finally got the keyless entry to work now, but I still can't get the key to start the car.

I used this site, to get the keyless part of the remote working: http://www.programyourremote.com/cla...Ad.asp?id=1785
Old 05-05-12, 01:27 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

For step 6 where it says: Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).

My security light just stays steady...It never starts to blink
Old 05-05-12, 02:09 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

For step 6 where it says: Press the Gas pedal just 1 time and wait until the security light stops blinking (about 1 minute).

My security light just stays steady...It never starts to blink
I remember the guy telling me from Sewell Lexus to keep trying the procedure if doesn't work. But, how many times to you try before you go nuts doing so? Is there a fresh battery in the key you are trying to program?
Old 05-05-12, 02:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
I remember the guy telling me from Sewell Lexus to keep trying the procedure if doesn't work. But, how many times to you try before you go nuts doing so? Is there a fresh battery in the key you are trying to program?
The battery is fresh.

I've probably done the procedure at least 20 times. LOL, I think I'm beyond nuts at this point. hahah
Old 05-05-12, 05:28 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The battery is fresh.

I've probably done the procedure at least 20 times. LOL, I think I'm beyond nuts at this point. hahah
What was the problem with your keyless entry all the sudden not working?
Old 05-05-12, 05:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
What was the problem with your keyless entry all the sudden not working?
You're talking about the thing I posted a while back, correct?

Ice/Snow had gotten into the key cylinder on the rear hatch, which left the rear hatch unlocked at all times. This made the system go crazy, because it kept on trying to lock but the ice that had got itself into the key cylinder wouldn't let it lock. After I sprayed some WD-40 in there it solved the problem. I thought it was going to be something expensive, but luckily it was just snow that caused an issue.
Old 05-05-12, 06:01 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You're talking about the thing I posted a while back, correct?

Ice/Snow had gotten into the key cylinder on the rear hatch, which left the rear hatch unlocked at all times. This made the system go crazy, because it kept on trying to lock but the ice that had got itself into the key cylinder wouldn't let it lock. After I sprayed some WD-40 in there it solved the problem. I thought it was going to be something expensive, but luckily it was just snow that caused an issue.
Wow unbelievable. I can't believe the ice just didn't melt. But glad you got it fixed.
Old 05-05-12, 06:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 99rx
Wow unbelievable. I can't believe the ice just didn't melt. But glad you got it fixed.
Yeah, I was surprised that it didn't free itself. But I guess the tumbler inside was jammed up. But, yeah I was so relieved when that's all that needed to be done.

Now, if only I can get this key programmed...lol Look's like I may need to take it to the dealer.
Old 05-07-12, 12:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Just wanted to give an update, I finally got the key to register into the vehicle's computer. Here are the steps that I used:

1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, lock the door with "your key".
4. From outside, unlock the door with "your key".
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the door.
6. Start the car, then turn car off, and remove the key.
7. Insert "your key" back into the ignition.
8. Within' 35 seconds
a) Turn the key from "OFF" to "ON" five times ending in the "OFF" position.
b) Open and close the driver's door SIX times.
c) Remove "your key"
9. Within' 10 seconds insert "NEW KEY" into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the key inserted until the security light stops flashing (up to 90 seconds)... Note: My security light stayed steady the whole time, but it still worked
11. Remove "NEW KEY" from ignition.
12. Depress brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow computer to reset.
14. Test "NEW KEY" by inserting into ignition and attempt to start the vehicle.

In case anyone is wondering, I bought the key off of eBay for $79 (there are still ten more available), and paid $30 at Lexus of Bridgewater to have the key cut. So for $109 I was able to get another master key. Well worth it in my book, I was hesitant at first since I always thought they were very expensive at upwards of $200, but I was wrong. lol

Last edited by hypervish; 05-07-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 09:50 PM
VitaliyG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way this procedure could be done with non-master key...I bought my RX from an action and the only key it had was the gray color. Now i understand that i'm missing the master key. When I contacted the local dealer they said they woun't charge me for new ECU but I have to buy two master keys $231 each key plus $50 to program each key sooo since I don't have $562 laying around is there any other ways????

Thanks
Old 05-07-12, 10:48 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaliyG
Is there any way this procedure could be done with non-master key...I bought my RX from an action and the only key it had was the gray color. Now i understand that i'm missing the master key. When I contacted the local dealer they said they woun't charge me for new ECU but I have to buy two master keys $231 each key plus $50 to program each key sooo since I don't have $562 laying around is there any other ways????

Thanks

Sorry, I dont have an answer for your question, but just think how much it would cost you if you loose the only key you have.

You can ask the dealer if they will actually be replacing the ecu.

Salim

Quick Reply: Master Key Programming for 99 RX