RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Master Key Programming for 99 RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 03:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by VitaliyG
Is there any way this procedure could be done with non-master key...I bought my RX from an action and the only key it had was the gray color. Now i understand that i'm missing the master key. When I contacted the local dealer they said they woun't charge me for new ECU but I have to buy two master keys $231 each key plus $50 to program each key sooo since I don't have $562 laying around is there any other ways????

Thanks
Unfortunately, this procedure only works with the master key.
Old 05-08-12, 04:09 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recall reading about a company that uses over-night mail. As I recall, you over-night mail your ECU, they reprogram it and overnight back the ECU with keys. You should be able to find the company in a google search, if not a search of this forum. They would be less expensive than a dealer.
Old 03-06-13, 10:41 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Just wanted to give an update, I finally got the key to register into the vehicle's computer. Here are the steps that I used:

1. Have all windows up and doors shut.
2. Stand outside the vehicle.
3. From outside, lock the door with "your key".
4. From outside, unlock the door with "your key".
5. Enter the vehicle, and close the door.
6. Start the car, then turn car off, and remove the key.
7. Insert "your key" back into the ignition.
8. Within' 35 seconds
a) Turn the key from "OFF" to "ON" five times ending in the "OFF" position.
b) Open and close the driver's door SIX times.
c) Remove "your key"
9. Within' 10 seconds insert "NEW KEY" into the ignition, and turn to "ON".
10. Leave the key inserted until the security light stops flashing (up to 90 seconds)... Note: My security light stayed steady the whole time, but it still worked
11. Remove "NEW KEY" from ignition.
12. Depress brake pedal forcefully ONCE to exit programming mode.
13. Wait 15 seconds to allow computer to reset.
14. Test "NEW KEY" by inserting into ignition and attempt to start the vehicle.

In case anyone is wondering, I bought the key off of eBay for $79 (there are still ten more available), and paid $30 at Lexus of Bridgewater to have the key cut. So for $109 I was able to get another master key. Well worth it in my book, I was hesitant at first since I always thought they were very expensive at upwards of $200, but I was wrong. lol
Hyper, Which you programmed first (Immobilizer) for your new remote key programming and then keyless entry programming? My kids lost my two remote keys. Now I have only one. I was thinking buy one from Swell Lexus costs $163.55 or Ebay for $ 74.00 plus $34.00 cutting from Swell lexus. Here is the link for e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...-/360294127004. I think you bought remote key from e-bay. Does those remote keys are good quality?
Old 03-07-13, 06:02 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hyper, Which you programmed first (Immobilizer) for your new remote key programming and then keyless entry programming? My kids lost my two remote keys. Now I have only one. I was thinking buy one from Swell Lexus costs $163.55 or Ebay for $ 74.00 plus $34.00 cutting from Swell lexus. Here is the link for e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...-/360294127004. I think you bought remote key from e-bay. Does those remote keys are good quality?
It doesn't matter which one you program first. If I recall correctly, I did the keyless entry first. But, like I said you can do whichever one first it won't be an issue.

Yes, I bought mine from eBay, seller- mykeyless-1 for $79.89. It's still working fine, according to my records I bought it in April of last year. The key shell had been replaced so the key looked brand new, I'm certain they put a new battery in it beforehand as well.

I had the key cut at my local Lexus dealership for $30, I then had a key for my ES300 cut for $20 (about a month later and mind you it's the same exact type of key, both are "sidewinder"). So, the prices will vary, but it's likely it will be cheaper to get it cut at your local dealership rather than ship it to Sewell. Mind you, I have never gone to my Lexus dealership for anything before, so $30 is likely just their base price, if you've been a customer before you may be able to get it done cheaper.
Old 03-07-13, 08:14 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Hyper.
Old 03-07-13, 11:30 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Hyper.
You're welcome!
Old 03-12-13, 06:21 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Hyper, I got the remote key today. I tried to program remote keyless entry before cut the key follow your instructions below:
" 1. Driver’s door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch.
2. Within 5 sec. insert and remove the key from the ignition switch TWICE.
3. Within 40 sec. close and open the driver’s door TWICE.
4. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
5. Within 40 sec. close and open the driver’s door TWICE.
6. Insert key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door.
7. Switch ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote and retain your original codes. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing (codes) remotes.) (three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered or 5 times to erase all registered codes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition.
9. System should now lock and unlock vehicle. Once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of key remote transmitters registered.
10. Within 40 sec., press and hold LOCK AND UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 15 seconds.
11. Within 3 seconds, press and release LOCK OR UNLOCK button.
12. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed.
13. Within 40 seconds, repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
14. Exit programming mode by opening driver’s door or inserting ignition key."
But failed at instructions no. 9. Only system lock and unlock once but after that follows instructions but remote lighted on but not working. Now I tried these instructions from the begining but now at 9. system doesnot cycle nothing. I bought this new keyshell uncut with refurbished remote transponder. Should I try registration at no. 7 for 2 times on/off for erase existance code and add new one? May be the chips has previous registration infos. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 03-12-13, 07:09 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I tried few times and now my current remote doesnot working but car start.
Old 03-12-13, 07:56 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
I tried the instructions in the pdf but still can't get the key to start the car... I'll keep trying. lol

I finally got the keyless entry to work now, but I still can't get the key to start the car.

I used this site, to get the keyless part of the remote working: http://www.programyourremote.com/cla...Ad.asp?id=1785
Hyper, I used this link and follow for # 2 registration mode. But now my old remote doesnot work. When I tried to confirmation mode nothing cycle. I checked confirmation mode via that link after unable to follow your instructions. The system cycled four times means it already has 4 remote programmed. That's why I have to follow mode # 2 to erase and add new remote transmitter. Now I am stuck, none of the instructions either you or the link doesnot work. My old remote which used to work may be got erased by registration mode # 2 can not work. Any other suggestions? Hope you will see this.
Old 03-12-13, 09:31 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Finaly I got programmed both of my old and new keyless remotes by following instructions (similiar to Hyper):
KEYLESS REMOTE PROGRAMMING:

1. Remove the key from the ignition switch. Open the driver’s door manually and make sure that it is unlocked. Make sure that all other doors are closed & Locked.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch, and then remove it.
3. On the driver’s door, Press the LOCK button for one second, then press the UNLOCK button for one second. Do this for a total of five times (i.e. lock/unlock, lock/unlock).
4. Close and re-open the driver’s door
5. On the driver’s door, press the LOCK button for one second, then press the UNLOCK button for one second. Do this for a total of five times.
6. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
7. Switch the ignition ON for one second, then OFF.
8. Remove the key from the ignition switch. The car’s system should now lock and unlock the vehicle once.
9. Press and hold the remote transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together for one and one half seconds.
10. Quickly press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter for a minimum of two seconds. The car’s system should now lock and unlock the vehicle once to confirm registration, twice will indicate registration has failed.

11. If required, repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters.
12. To exit programming mode, Close driver door, or insert the key into the ignition.
***NOTE: A maximum of 4 remote transmitters can be programmed.
Now both keyless remotes works for doors lock and unlock. But now if I press the "PANIC" button it does nothing, used to make horn noises. Is there any separate programming needed for "PANIC" ?
Old 03-13-13, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear you got them both programmed.

There should be no separate programming for "Panic". It should work, it's strange that it isn't working.
Old 03-13-13, 07:50 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Today morning I checked the Panic button. It works now but I have to press and hold 1or 2 seconds. Thanks Hyper.
Old 03-13-13, 09:30 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Today morning I checked the Panic button. It works now but I have to press and hold 1or 2 seconds. Thanks Hyper.
Working as designed. The wait is to allow the user to think/check the button being pressed is panic.

Since the write-up is long and it can be hard for readers to tell what step is different .. gazi can you please highlight the difference.

Salim
Old 03-13-13, 03:07 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Salim. My #25 thread follow step no. 1. All you have to do closed & locked all the doors and windows. Then manually open driver side door lock and leave open but other doors should be locked and closed. That makes different for me to do the programming.
Old 03-13-13, 03:12 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

If anyone follow #25 post will be good for remote programming.

Quick Reply: Master Key Programming for 99 RX