RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keyless entry doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 01:29 PM
teddyshoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry doesn't work

Hey gang,

I know all about programming newly cut keys, etc. What about original keys that won't open doors. The key works in the ignition. I just bought the car, and replaced the battery in the key. The key light goes on, but nothing happens with the door locks. On my 90 LS400, there was an on/off switch for this and I would accidentally hit occasionally. But I don't see one on my 2000 RX300. Any ideas? Do I have to do some reprogramming here?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-08, 06:22 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't say, but I'm assuming that you have only one master key (the cars originally came with two). If this is the case, you'll need to read up in the archives regarding your likely alternatives. I don't think there is any hidden switch or anything like that. As I recall, you can go the dealer route, send off the in-car computer to somebody who will reprogram it and provide two keys that match, and maybe some other alternatives.
Old 02-18-08, 10:10 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile Keyless entry doesn't work

Originally Posted by teddyshoe
Hey gang,

I know all about programming newly cut keys, etc. What about original keys that won't open doors. The key works in the ignition. I just bought the car, and replaced the battery in the key. The key light goes on, but nothing happens with the door locks. On my 90 LS400, there was an on/off switch for this and I would accidentally hit occasionally. But I don't see one on my 2000 RX300. Any ideas? Do I have to do some reprogramming here?

Thanks guys.
Hi teddyshoe-
Does your inside lock switch work? If it doesn't, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and let it reset the computer. I'm not sure this will do it but it's easy to do and just might work. If your inside door lock switch doesn't work it may be the brain. Next step is to take one of the door panels off and jump juice directly to the lock motor to see if that works. If not, you have bad motors- unlikely all 4 but my daughter- in- laws had 3 bad motors.
Post back with these answers and I'll see if I can help you some more from there. Roger
Old 02-19-08, 06:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, Ted!

First of all, I'd take the car back to where you bought it and let them solve the problem. If that fails, there a few things you might try:

If your key shows that little red LED when you push a remote button, it's pretty sure to be transmitting a signal. If you can unlock the doors from the button on the driver's door, your lock motors are OK. There is no on-off switch on the remote, so I would begin to suspect your receiver either isn't working, or is ignoring your lock code. This will have to be diagnosed by a dealer's service department because Lexus is pretty cagey about publishing information on these codes - for obvious reasons.

I kinda like Roger's suggestion above - before you go the dealer route, pull the negative battery cable for a few minutes and reconnect. It doesn't fix everything, but sometimes rebooting the system solves some mysterious problems that can't otherwise be explained.

Finally, you might go down to your local Autozone, or other franchise parts store and have them do a (free) load test of your battery. First it's a good idea to know where your battery stands in its life cycle, but underperforming batteries on their last legs, while they will spin up the starter quite well, have been known, because of low voltage, to set off a whole tribe of gremlins. I always recommend a good battery check as the first step to anything involving the electronics on a Lexus - if the car has an Achilles' heel, that's it. Fortunately, 99% of the time none of the problems it engenders are serious . . . I just consider them an early warning system for your battery's replacement.

Good luck and keep us informed of your results!
Old 02-19-08, 04:55 PM
teddyshoe
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions. I just got home so haven't tried the battery disconnect yet, but I will give it a try. Yes, the inside door lock switch does work. Everything seems fine with the locks except for the key fob not doing anything. I'm going to go out right now, (it's 0 degrees F here right now, but hey, it's my Lexus), and I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-08, 06:34 PM
Bear60
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try to reset the rolling code. If the remote is out-of-range from the vehicle, the code may not work. To fix this condition, stand near the vehicle and depress both the lock and unloack button at the same time and hold them down until the car beeps. This will synch the remote to the vehicle.
Old 02-19-08, 11:17 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile keyless entry won't work

Hi Lil4X-
Sorry I missed testing the battery to make sure it TESTS what it's rated at, which also means load testing. You are so right, just because a battery STARTS a car fine does NOT mean electronics will work properly. It is one of the 1st things that should be checked. Roger
Old 02-20-08, 06:16 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyshoe
I'm going to go out right now, (it's 0 degrees F here right now, but hey, it's my Lexus), and I will let you guys know what happens.
Now THAT is a dedicated Lexus enthusiast! If we don't hear from you in a few hours Ted, we'll come looking for you with an icepick and a cask of brandy. . .

We may have found your problem. Can radio waves actually freeze and hang suspended in the air at temperatures like that?
Old 02-20-08, 09:31 AM
teddyshoe
Driver School Candidate

Call off the search party, I am alive, though a bit blue. Tried disconnecting the battery, no change and holding both buttons on the key. Nothing. Just tired to call the local Lexus service dept to ask their opinion, but got hung up on because I guess they had more important people to talk to. Will do the load test on the battery soon. In the meantime, I will keep looking for suggestions.

Thanks a lot guys. You're great.