RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Front Parking Sensor

Old 02-13-17, 02:30 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Front Parking Sensor

Sorry for the silly question but my front parking sensor makes no noise but the back one works fine. Is there a default button that only allows front or back to work ,or no I need to reconfigure something else. Thanks all all for your help. I appreciate it!
Old 02-13-17, 02:44 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
Sorry for the silly question but my front parking sensor makes no noise but the back one works fine. Is there a default button that only allows front or back to work ,or no I need to reconfigure something else. Thanks all all for your help. I appreciate it!

i do know the Rcf regarding the front parking sensors doesnt have them in the very front only on the sides but i do think you have to turn of the front
Old 02-13-17, 02:50 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

page 269 -280 of your manual.

there is a button on the lower left of your dash with a "P" on it, this turns the parking sensors on and off, it also related to a green lite "P" on your dash cluster when active. Front only work at speeds below 7mph,, rear only work in reverse by default.

the RC-F only has sensors on the corners not directly in front, so it doesn't detect anything immediately in front of the vehicle only on the outer edges.

the manual explains how to set the sensitivity settings on them via the navigation system. You can also have the dealer (or use the Carista App) activate them so the front and rear are always active at any speed in any gear, I have mine set this way, it really shows you how often a-holes tail gate you, they will activate when a car is closer than 7 inches, and mine go off all the damn time, especially in stop and go traffic. 7 inches may sound like a lot of distance, but 90% of people can't walk between 2 cars parked 7 inches apart, so that gives you an idea of how douchey people really are.

Last edited by mjeds; 02-13-17 at 02:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjeds:
LRCSALES (02-13-17), Mingofish (02-13-17)
Old 02-15-17, 01:19 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for your information, here are the relevant customizations you can make through Carista on a 2015 RC (other years and RC-F are similar):

Rear parking sensor range
NARROW / WIDE

Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec.
YES / NO

Activate parking sensors in neutral (N)
YES / NO

Enable front parking sensors when in reverse (R)
FRONT / OFF

Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
REAR / REAR CORNER / OFF
Old 02-15-17, 06:35 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carista
Just for your information, here are the relevant customizations you can make through Carista on a 2015 RC (other years and RC-F are similar):

NARROW / WIDE

Mute parking sensor when stationary for more than 3 sec.
YES / NO

YES / NO

FRONT / OFF

REAR / REAR CORNER / OFF
NARROW / WIDE

Thanks I forgot about this one. default on the front for the RC-F is Narrow, changing it to wide covers most of the front of the car except the dead center.

This is why I don't have an issue with them picking up the disabled parking signs in parking stalls. A lot of RC-F users complain the front are useless, but changing to wide band on the range dramatically improves their usefulness.
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 08:04 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
NARROW / WIDE

Thanks I forgot about this one. default on the front for the RC-F is Narrow, changing it to wide covers most of the front of the car except the dead center.

This is why I don't have an issue with them picking up the disabled parking signs in parking stalls. A lot of RC-F users complain the front are useless, but changing to wide band on the range dramatically improves their usefulness.
This is valuable minutiae. The front can definitely use more coverage. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 09:11 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CYKBC
This is valuable minutiae. The front can definitely use more coverage. Thank you.
yeah I had completely forgot about that setting, I changed it on my car over a year ago.
Old 02-15-17, 01:57 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

yeah I had completely forgot about that setting, I changed it on my car over a year ago.
The front sensor coverage can be adjusted? I thought it was just the rears?
Old 02-15-17, 02:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
The front sensor coverage can be adjusted? I thought it was just the rears?
pretty sure I adjusted the fronts to wide as well, I need to plug in the Carista and double check it's been well over a year since I made any adjustments with it.

when I first got the car I remember the fronts being useless, then I tweaked things with the carista and now they pick up nearly everything in front of the car, so I'm pretty sure one of the changes in the carista caused that. There is/was a noticeable difference in their behavior.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjeds:
JT2MA71 (02-15-17), raerae1616 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 02:28 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

pretty sure I adjusted the fronts to wide as well, I need to plug in the Carista and double check it's been well over a year since I made any adjustments with it.

when I first got the car I remember the fronts being useless, then I tweaked things with the carista and now they pick up nearly everything in front of the car, so I'm pretty sure one of the changes in the carista caused that. There is/was a noticeable difference in their behavior.
Thanks! I definitely need to do that too, but first, I have to find my carista unit
Old 02-15-17, 03:50 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was all that I see on the sensors with the 10/2016 version I have on my iphone. No front wide, only rear wide. Seems strange no front control. What are all you settings that you made?Carista 3.1.1 (beta tester)Parking sensor beep volume
1 / 2 / 3 / *4* / MAX

Temporary parking sensor muting speed
AUTOMATIC / 15 KM/H / *20 KM/H* / 30 KM/H

Display temporary parking sensor muting status
*YES* / NO

*YES* / NO

*FRONT* / OFF

REAR / REAR CORNER / *OFF*
Old 02-15-17, 08:28 PM
raerae1616
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interested in what those 'tweaks' were to improve the front, as it stands now it's quite aggrivating how useless they are for me . . .
Old 02-16-17, 02:01 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's possible that the range adjustment actually changes both front and rear, even though the setting just refers to the rear ones. Please give it a try and report back and if so, we'll adjust the way it's displayed in Carista. Thanks.
Old 02-16-17, 08:49 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rjmalm
This was all that I see on the sensors with the 10/2016 version I have on my iphone. No front wide, only rear wide. Seems strange no front control. What are all you settings that you made?Carista 3.1.1 (beta tester)Parking sensor beep volume
1 / 2 / 3 / *4* / MAX

Temporary parking sensor muting speed
AUTOMATIC / 15 KM/H / *20 KM/H* / 30 KM/H

Display temporary parking sensor muting status
*YES* / NO

*YES* / NO

*FRONT* / OFF

REAR / REAR CORNER / *OFF*
  1. Activate parking sensors in neutral (N)
  2. Enable front parking sensors when in reverse (R)
  3. Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
I know I have all of these turned on. I haven't had a chance to look at my Carista, probably won't until the weekend.

Originally Posted by raerae1616
Very interested in what those 'tweaks' were to improve the front, as it stands now it's quite aggrivating how useless they are for me . . .
Old 02-16-17, 09:52 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3. Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear
You did some different settings (3 items that I did not). I assume you set #3 to REAR.

I did a test this morning before you posted. I used 1st WIDE then NARROW, with NO difference but maybe I have to do your 3 changes as well.

1st: I put a 32 gal trash can directly in center line and NEVER got a detection at any distance.
2nd: I moved the can 12" left and was able to get a detection.
3rd and 4th: Then I tried something with a flatter surface. I used an\ (old billiard cue case about 8" wide and 3ft tall, like a parking barrier. See attached pic.
Same response distance in NORMAL and WIDE Rear setting. Starts sensing at about 23" (x direction) with edge of the billiard case on a 14deg angle from the sensor.
5th: Then I did try driving about 3" farther left and the never got a detection.
Maybe someone has a detailed spec/diagram of what the sensor can do and what the setting changes will do.
I did find a Lexus doc that says that REAR Narrow is 23.62" and WIDE is 59.06". but NO DIAGRAM of where measured.
It called this setting RR BUZ RANGE (rear buzzer onset range)

In the pm I made changes (like id MEDS), BUT is saw no change in the coverage with Narrow or Wide. I put some chalk on the floor shows the limit or the sensor.
last picture attached is rear test and show Wide increased the distance by about 2x. The RCF user manual shows distance ranges, clearly NO front center coverage. (page 258)
and the diagrams top and side view on page 259 shows about what I measured. I did test an example of a big curb (8" high). Sensors could not see it.
  3. Enable rear parking sensors when in neutral or forward gear (R)
  4. Tested Narrow and Wide (I guess Lexus "Wide" just means wider along the center line or that the starting threshold is farther from the bumper for the rears not a wider beam)
Attached Thumbnails Front Parking Sensor-img_2947.jpg   Front Parking Sensor-rcf-manual-259.jpg   Front Parking Sensor-front-same-in-narrow-or-wide.jpg   Front Parking Sensor-rear-wide-2x-of-normal.jpg  

Last edited by rjmalm; 02-16-17 at 01:26 PM.