RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Official Lexus RC thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Are you sure about that? Those taillights look properly integrated unless they went too far by molding the wholes under the camo.

Seems to me that taillight shape is going to be the same but inside pattern could and should change.

Also if you look at the headlights you will see that one is HID and the other is LED setup.

Maybe Lexus is taking MB approach like with E Coupe which is actually based off C but looks like E to command premium price and leave room for "true" C coupe
they will certainly call it RC just like 4 series or A5, hopefully they will change the interior even a little bit, just to be different.

looks very agressive... it could easily look nicer than 4 series which has pretty bland side profile and back... A5 was stunning when it was released, but now it is out, Audi cant repeat it anymore :-)
Old 07-16-13, 04:19 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow AutoNews

Lexus will unveil its replacement for the IS coupe in November at the Tokyo Motor Show, and will give the car a new name -- the RC.

The new coupe will arrive in U.S. dealerships in late 2014, said a company source speaking on condition of anonymity.

It will be based on the LF-CC concept from the 2012 Paris auto show, and will use Lexus' IS/GS platform. Prototype versions of the new coupe were spotted recently during track testing in Germany.

The RC will be powered by a 3.5-liter, 306-hp V-6 engine, same as the IS and GS sedans. A hybrid version will be offered in Japan and Europe, but not in the United States.

An RC-F performance version will be unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show. A Lexus source says the RC-F will be powered by a 460-hp V-8, up from 416 hp for the current IS-F coupe.

By comparison, the BMW M3 has a 414-hp V-8, although insiders say the upcoming M4 coupe will have a 450-hp turbo-6 engine.

At the introduction of the redesigned 2014 IS sedan in March, Lexus engineers said the IS-C hardtop convertible would continue on the previous-generation platform for the immediate future.

In November, Lexus filed for a trademark for RC 350 and RC-F with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Old 07-16-13, 04:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

So could this 460HP engine power the GS-F?
Old 07-16-13, 04:48 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Manual gear ****?

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Agreed. It looks identical, from the gauge cluster housing, to the NAV screen and the silver trim that goes across the dash, to the console design, remote touch, shifter...

So far:

Interior: 99.9% same dash as the IS
Engine: we can expect the IS/GS 3.5L V6 hopefully with more than 306 hp (RC 350 was trademarked as well as RC F a few months back). As for the "F" engine, who knows between turbocharged V6 or upgraded 5.0L V8.
Exterior front: Looks like it is its own
Exterior rear: GS-based tail lamps (but could be part of the camouflage...)
could that be a Manual gear **** i see there in that snap shot only time will tell?
Old 07-16-13, 04:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
So could this 460HP engine power the GS-F?
The GS is positioned 1/2 a class above the RC ( RC being positioned between IS and GS).

I suspect the GS-F may well have more hp than the RC-F sort of like M5 vs M4.
Old 07-16-13, 05:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

looks like a great exterior design. just too far from available.
Old 07-16-13, 06:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

BTW like some of us suggested there is no four door F variant here.
Car that everybody is speculating about being GS-F is actually RC-F without the camo, there are two of them

3 of them, one with less came is to the right, you can see the red bumper marker barely on the pic...
Old 07-16-13, 07:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Im liking the grille already
Old 07-16-13, 07:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gray car in the garage is not an uncovered RC - it is indeed a GS, probably GS F. The bumpers on the gray car (GS) and camo-ed cars are different - RC is much thicker, GS is slimmer. Shapes are different also.

As spwolf and natnut have pointed out, this car will ride on the GS/IS platform (remember that they are built on the same chassis), not any stretched GT86 architecture. From what I understand, the RC will be positioned between the IS and GS, similar to how the Audi A5 sits between the A4 and A6 as Audi's tweener/midsize coupe. Will it be closer to IS or GS in size and execution? I have no idea, but I think this car's most direct competitor will be the A/S/RS5, not the 4 series.

I do believe that what we are looking at here is RC F, not an F Sport model as some have indicated. All of the cues are there - quad exhaust, fender vents, brakes, LFA Nurburgring spec wheels, LFA-inspired front bumper, etc.

It makes sense to assume that Lexus is finishing the GS F while developing the RC F as both cars sit on the same platform and thus, will share engines and other components. Considering that, and the previous rumors that GS F will have a 461hp V8, I would assume the same from the RC F.

This does bring up a few other questions, namely:
1) When will the GS F debut?
2) Will the IS F get the same 461hp V8 as the GS and RC? That would be odd.
3) If Lexus is to debut the RC at Tokyo, I wonder if the NX will be pushed back? Or would they do a double model introduction? Interesting...
Old 07-16-13, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The gray car in the garage is not an uncovered RC - it is indeed a GS, probably GS F. The bumpers on the gray car (GS) and camo-ed cars are different - RC is much thicker, GS is slimmer. Shapes are different also.

As spwolf and natnut have pointed out, this car will ride on the GS/IS platform (remember that they are built on the same chassis), not any stretched GT86 architecture. From what I understand, the RC will be positioned between the IS and GS, similar to how the Audi A5 sits between the A4 and A6 as Audi's tweener/midsize coupe. Will it be closer to IS or GS in size and execution? I have no idea, but I think this car's most direct competitor will be the A/S/RS5, not the 4 series.

I do believe that what we are looking at here is RC F, not an F Sport model as some have indicated. All of the cues are there - quad exhaust, fender vents, brakes, LFA Nurburgring spec wheels, LFA-inspired front bumper, etc.

It makes sense to assume that Lexus is finishing the GS F while developing the RC F as both cars sit on the same platform and thus, will share engines and other components. Considering that, and the previous rumors that GS F will have a 461hp V8, I would assume the same from the RC F.

3) If Lexus is to debut the RC at Tokyo, I wonder if the NX will be pushed back? Or would they do a double model introduction? Interesting...
It would be HUGE HUGE HUGE to debut the car(s) at the Tokyo Auto Show.

Crap now you just got me all excited.
Old 07-16-13, 08:08 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I suppose that would be a little odd. I was going to say AMG does that but then I remembered the C-class still uses the 6.2L V8. My question is this- is 461hp enough for the bigger cars? Hopefully they'll be lighter than the competition. I'd love to see them do some damage to their competitors.

Last edited by TangoRed; 07-16-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:08 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thing is there are so many cars that are rumored or confirmed for Tokyo.

NX - confirmed
Toyota/Lexus hydrogen car - confirmed
BMW/Toyota midsize coupe - hinted by Tada-San
RC / RC-F - rumored?
Old 07-16-13, 08:11 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

~$70k...............
No way it will be $70k. You can get an RS5 or M3 for that much.
Old 07-16-13, 08:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
The thing is there are so many cars that are rumored or confirmed for Tokyo.

NX - confirmed
Toyota/Lexus hydrogen car - confirmed
BMW/Toyota midsize coupe - hinted by Tada-San
RC / RC-F - rumored?
NX is confirmed for Tokyo?
Old 07-16-13, 08:14 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe Lexus is taking MB approach like with E Coupe which is actually based off C but looks like E to command premium price and leave room for "true" C coupe
Isn't the E and C-Class built on the same platform?

Quick Reply: Official Lexus RC thread