Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Turbo IS300...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 10:50 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Another Turbo IS300...

Completed tonight....

T57
660 cc injectors
Emanage Ultimate
Alcohol Injection
AEM UEGO

haven't driven it yet, have to finish putting bumper back on and such, but she idles good, revs clean, etc...

open downpipe til I can get to an exhaust shop tomorrow, will be downpipe into a 3" cutout, when the cutout is closed, exhaust gases will travel through the stock exhaust....

still have to wire the electronic boost gauge and the alcohol injection valve (the loose wires you see)...

Old 03-22-12, 08:14 AM
skitso1080
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the E-Manage have a base map for your setup? Or are you keeping it under boost before you tune it? looks good man.
Old 03-23-12, 07:16 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by skitso1080
Does the E-Manage have a base map for your setup? Or are you keeping it under boost before you tune it? looks good man.
No base map, just pulling fuel in relation to the 660's...

As I was tuning it yesterday afternoon though, a rod let go, straight through the side of the motor... weirdest thing I've ever seen - 8 psi boost, 11.0:1 AFR, perhaps just a little too much timing (maybe by 2 degrees), and it was only one 3/4 pull to 5500 rpm...

kinda depressing, but, its a good reason to build a shortblock...
Old 03-23-12, 07:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

on a side note, I realized what happened, exactly when it happened, and was able to drive it half a mile to at least get into my subdivision... walked home, towed it the rest of the way...
Old 03-23-12, 09:27 AM
skitso1080
Pole Position

that sucks man. So are you going to build the bottom end now?
Old 03-23-12, 06:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

that sucks man. So are you going to build the bottom end now?
thats the plan... gotta source a block first though... this one has a huge hole in the side of it!
Old 03-23-12, 09:38 PM
skitso1080
Pole Position

wish you luck on your build out, would love to see pictures of the block.

Will you be getting a gte block? Are you going to bore it over size, if so how much?

Sorry for all the questions, I am planning a build out soon just seeing what everyone is doing.
Old 03-23-12, 09:40 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work buddy!!! So when I come to MO you gonna give me a ride in that!?
Old 03-24-12, 06:04 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Nice work buddy!!! So when I come to MO you gonna give me a ride in that!?
Read the 3rd post... If I have a motor for it by then, for sure...
Old 03-24-12, 06:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

wish you luck on your build out, would love to see pictures of the block.

Will you be getting a gte block? Are you going to bore it over size, if so how much?

Sorry for all the questions, I am planning a build out soon just seeing what everyone is doing.
Should have the motor completely out of the car tomorrow...

The plan is to pull the motor, check the crank, if its good, source a block, some GTE pistons/rods, reassemble, reinstall, run enough boost to blow up the auto trans, lol...

The two weak parts on any IS300 are the rods and transmission... I had hoped to get by on both with modest power levels, but the rods obviously didn't like that idea, so, bigger power levels are in the future... now, with this in mind, my t57 might be too small... oh well, we'll find out how much power she can make - its easy enough to swap turbos on these cars...
Old 04-08-12, 07:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

So, found out it went lean at 5500 rpm, I can only attribute it to the lack of fuel pressure at higher RPM, and lack of a complete tune...

motor is at the machine shop right now, will be back end of this week hopefully, have rods, pistons, new rings and bearings waiting to go in... got a used short block and oil pan out of a GS300 from a junk yard and took it to the machine shop - not even going to try reusing my crank - it is too beat up...

when she goes back in, it will be roughly 8.3:1 compression ratio, adding a 1:1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator and return line, then I just plan on being a lot more careful with the tune obviously, though it won't matter nearly as much...

I'll snap some pictures this week of the block... I tossed the upper oil pan already - it was broken in two pieces...
Old 04-09-12, 07:01 AM
skitso1080
Pole Position

did you have a stock fuel pump?

i know on my boosted 350z, i started leaning out towards the top but not enough to cause damage, so i put in a fuel pressure reg and it did the trick.
Old 04-09-12, 05:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

did you have a stock fuel pump?

i know on my boosted 350z, i started leaning out towards the top but not enough to cause damage, so i put in a fuel pressure reg and it did the trick.
yup... stock fuel pump for now, I've read they are decent up to 350-400 whp, but I am planning on a fuel pump regardless...
Old 04-11-12, 08:50 PM
exist3nce
Driver

Just read through this thread.... I'm pretty shocked at what happened. I'm not sure how you were tuning it, just street tuning? How do you know it ran lean, as first you were saying it was 11.0, were you datalogging? Were you doing progressive load tuning by 500 rpm increments or just letting it rip?

I ask all this because mine is boosted with 404whp and 7200rpm redline which I hit daily on 100% stock motor with 228,000 km, and so far no problems *knock on wood*

Looks nice though, any more pics?
Old 04-12-12, 08:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I was not logging at the time, can only assume that it was a lean event that caused it... I was not at full throttle, so looking at the map, I just think there was a lean point not at full throttle, though it was at 8 Pei... stock motor completely, including head gasket, so remember compression ratio was very high as well... Ill try and add pictures tonight... planning to tune on e85 perhaps this time, even though compression ratio will be around 8.3 to 1

Quick Reply: Another Turbo IS300...