Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 12:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
where do you plan on mounting the remote filter? and what size is that filter?
on right side in front of tire almost, i will take a pic and show you. size, i forgot i will have to figure out the filter/cooler/lines for the capacity to know how much extra fluid i need to add back into this

Originally Posted by NIXmx
sakataj - Will you still be using the plastic under panel?
no, but i havent had that lower engine cover in YEARS...

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I haven't revisited this thread in a while but one thing that I wanted to mention to those who wish to purchase a transmission cooler is to find one that has a built in thermostat so that in cold weather condition, the fluid will be bypass to help aid fluid reaching operating condition. I've always used B&M which has this feature and cheap. But if you want the best, look into Seatrab or Mocal.
gonna hurt anything if we didnt? i dont think that hayden does and since i already have my A.N. compression fittings on my cooler im not gonna change coolers now
Old 09-20-10, 12:15 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mounted my transmission cooler in the car today and now i just have to hook up the lines, which is the only part i'm kinda hesitant about. I installed the cooler with zipties and the stock mounting location on the left side of the condensor. If i disconnect the stock lines will all of the tranny fluid flow out and make a big mess in my parents garage? Also, something seems to be leaking onto my bottom plastic engine cover because it is soaked in oil/dirt. Anybody that has done this mod do you need to remove the tranny fluid before you disconnect the lines?
Old 09-20-10, 01:53 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I mounted my transmission cooler in the car today and now i just have to hook up the lines, which is the only part i'm kinda hesitant about. I installed the cooler with zipties and the stock mounting location on the left side of the condensor. If i disconnect the stock lines will all of the tranny fluid flow out and make a big mess in my parents garage? Also, something seems to be leaking onto my bottom plastic engine cover because it is soaked in oil/dirt. Anybody that has done this mod do you need to remove the tranny fluid before you disconnect the lines?
Get something to plug the hole and/or use your fingers to cover it. Plan how you would pull the hose and you'll know what to plug and what to cover. No need to drain.
Old 09-21-10, 10:07 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
gonna hurt anything if we didnt? i dont think that hayden does and since i already have my A.N. compression fittings on my cooler im not gonna change coolers now
Running a transmission with too cold of fluid will cause premature wear on the hub. But what I would recommend that you do since you live in colder climate is to run the cooler after the fluid has been cooled by the radiator first. You won't see that much of a heat loss from running this way and the fluid will be warmed up to operating temperature during winter driving months where it could get cold.
Old 09-21-10, 11:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Running a transmission with too cold of fluid will cause premature wear on the hub. But what I would recommend that you do since you live in colder climate is to run the cooler after the fluid has been cooled by the radiator first. You won't see that much of a heat loss from running this way and the fluid will be warmed up to operating temperature during winter driving months where it could get cold.
yeah that was my plan actually.....not for that reason, but was how i thought it would work optimally.

coming from the transmission where it would go into the radiator is gonna go to my remote cooler than to the radiator and than to the cooler and back to the tranny.

trying to locate those fittings i posted above in post # 132 so i can have no downtime when i do this....as i said the shop isnt open on the weekends so i dont want my car down all weekend
Old 09-21-10, 02:46 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

yeah that was my plan actually.....not for that reason, but was how i thought it would work optimally.

coming from the transmission where it would go into the radiator is gonna go to my remote cooler than to the radiator and than to the cooler and back to the tranny.

trying to locate those fittings i posted above in post # 132 so i can have no downtime when i do this....as i said the shop isnt open on the weekends so i dont want my car down all weekend
How many cooler will you be running? This is how I have mine setup and I'm right around 400 rwhp. Transmission --> Radiator cooler --> B&M transmission cooler --> Back to transmission. Also, you will only need one cooler if you're running anything less than 600rwhp. I only have one seatrab cooler on my supra and it's all nice a cool all the time even on the track.
Old 09-22-10, 11:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

How many cooler will you be running? This is how I have mine setup and I'm right around 400 rwhp. Transmission --> Radiator cooler --> B&M transmission cooler --> Back to transmission. Also, you will only need one cooler if you're running anything less than 600rwhp. I only have one seatrab cooler on my supra and it's all nice a cool all the time even on the track.
what do you mean how many cooler will i be running? you mean how many HP?

my setup will be like this

Transmission --> PermaCool 10678 Remote Mount Filter --> OEM Radiator Cooler --> Hayden 1677 Cooler --> Back To Transmission
Old 09-22-10, 06:53 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

what do you mean how many cooler will i be running? you mean how many HP?

my setup will be like this

Transmission --> PermaCool 10678 Remote Mount Filter --> OEM Radiator Cooler --> Hayden 1677 Cooler --> Back To Transmission
In this case, you're good to go then.
Old 09-25-10, 01:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

In this case, you're good to go then.
yeah, as soon as i can find those fittings i posted up above i will be good to go. ANYONE have a spare radiator with them? i will buy the fittings from you
Old 02-26-11, 08:50 AM
qphoton
Driver

Default A/T cooling scheme ...

this is universal scheme ...

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS-at_cool_en.png
Old 07-09-11, 12:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

FINALLY wrapping this up....lines are getting connected and then installation. WAY overkill but you shouldnt expect any less from me guys...

Old 07-17-11, 04:22 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sick Brian; looks like a foresight to some engine upgrades

BTW I wouldnt mind sharing the skid plates from you. thanks
Old 07-17-11, 11:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
Pretty sick Brian; looks like a foresight to some engine upgrades
i do have some engine mods planned.....just havent mentioned anything about them yet
Old 07-18-11, 08:26 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i do have some engine mods planned.....just havent mentioned anything about them yet
so do I.. tehehehemauhahahahaha... ok prolly not as crazy as yours.

BTW Brian, care to share what spec/size are all those fittings n lines? say for people who want to convert to ANs as well?
Old 07-18-11, 11:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vwynn
so do I.. tehehehemauhahahahaha... ok prolly not as crazy as yours.

BTW Brian, care to share what spec/size are all those fittings n lines? say for people who want to convert to ANs as well?
What you doing vince? rods/pistons?

jesus i dont even know if i have them....have to check my invoices....plus a few were made for my by a member 99 gs3 in this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ded-lines.html

Quick Reply: Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS