Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 05:40 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS

I just got all my goodies except for the tranny cooler. I have done a lot of research on here but many members have different coolers with different install locations and different experiences. Some say when it's hot outside their engine temp. goes up with the cooler installed at a certain location; I want to try and avoid this. All those with tranny coolers please post up and give me some advice with YOUR particular setup. Thanks VERY much!!!
Old 06-07-07, 06:13 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I just got all my goodies except for the tranny cooler. I have done a lot of research on here but many members have different coolers with different install locations and different experiences. Some say when it's hot outside their engine temp. goes up with the cooler installed at a certain location; I want to try and avoid this. All those with tranny coolers please post up and give me some advice with YOUR particular setup. Thanks VERY much!!!
Nick,

Talk to GSoup, actually we'll be at my house on Sat doing some work on our cars, if you want to stop by to check out his setup and my sub install, feel free.
Old 06-07-07, 09:07 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Hayden (can't remember the model number right now). If you are facing the front of the car it is installed in the lower right corner. No engine heat problems.

You mentioned people say they have engine heat problems, how do they know that? Are they judging by the gauge on the dash?
Old 06-07-07, 10:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

yes...by their guage on their dash; but only on hot days. I still would NOT want that! I can just picture it now, waiting in bumper-to-bumper traffic and my Lex starts to overheat...no good.
Old 06-11-07, 11:42 AM
Delta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Hayden one as well. Mine is on the lower left in front of the radiator if you are facing the car.
Old 06-11-07, 11:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I have mine located on the lower passenger side. I positioned it so that it sits perfectly at the opening of the bumper. I need to maximize my cooling
Old 06-11-07, 12:24 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot guys for the info./advice...I can't wait to install ALL this stuff...I'll report back when I can.
Old 06-12-07, 02:55 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my Hayden #1677 tranny cooler.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 06-19-07 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 07:30 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks for the install pics GILL...very clean install. I take it that the steel braided lines didn't come with that kit. Any particular reason why you didn't want to use the supplied rubber hoses? BTW are you FI or do you have a PI TC; ie why did you install your cooler? Notice any rise on the engine temp. guage on hot days (90 deg. and up)? Thanks again.
Old 06-18-07, 05:34 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be using a B&M core as my tranny cooler. It's actually arriving this afternoon via UPS. I will post up some pictures of the core that I get and soon after with pictures of the install. I have a ARC core on order, but for the mean time, the B&Ms are by far the most reasonable priced one on the market.
Old 06-18-07, 05:57 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been reading a lot about people installing tranny coolers but never knew what it's for. What's the purpose of it?
Old 06-18-07, 07:58 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

To cool the transmission fluid due to adding a high stall torque converter such as a PI TC. Some people just buy tranny coolers for extra protection. #1 cause of trans failure is heat...
Old 06-18-07, 09:43 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Thanks for the install pics GILL...very clean install. I take it that the steel braided lines didn't come with that kit. Any particular reason why you didn't want to use the supplied rubber hoses? BTW are you FI or do you have a PI TC; ie why did you install your cooler? Notice any rise on the engine temp. guage on hot days (90 deg. and up)? Thanks again.
I went with the braided line because I thought it just looked better and it was not expensive. I think I paid $14 for a 6' piece ( Jeggs or Summit racing ). I had to measure the in & out hose exact because it came out exact no extra hose left.

I installed the cooler because I plan to add a TC. Picked up a used stock TQ converter and going to have Lextreme modify it. Decided to try that route. I've Never heard anything negative about Lextremes TQ converters.
I have not noticed andchange in the engine tep.. but I don't have a precise temp. gauge though.
Old 06-18-07, 09:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why waste $$ on a tranny cooler when your car is not a 1000hp dragster? If you want your car to run cooler, then just get a transmission fluid exchange service and put Amsoil synthetic in it? That will significantly lower your tranny temps since it runs much cooler than Toyota Type IV fudge.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) exceeds the performance requirements for domestic and foreign automatic transmission fluid applications. AMSOIL ATF provides automatic transmissions, power steering units and hydraulic equipment with excellent lubricating protection and better performance over a wider temperature range than conventional automatic transmission fluids.

Resists Oxidation and Thermal Degradation
AMSOIL ATF resists thermal and oxidative degradation better than conventional transmission fluids, protecting clutches, planetary gears, valves, pumps and seals from damaging sludge and varnish deposits. AMSOIL ATF helps prevent component overheating and ensures cooler, smoother transmission operation
https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/atf.aspx
Old 06-18-07, 10:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Tranny coolers are never a waste of $$$! Maybe unnecessary but never a waste of money. For the cost of around $65 I'm sure people have wasted more on truly wastful things...BTW I have read many times on CL that people swear that when they added a higher stall TC they could "smell" their tranny fluid...soon after the install of a tranny cooler the smell went away and shifted smoother.

Quick Reply: Official Tranny Cooler Thread for the 2GS