Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Idea...Anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 06:34 AM
zinkie13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Idea...Anyone tried this?

From looking around on this forum and a couple of others I have seen lots of different styles of intakes for the sc300 and supra. I have been driving an Infiniti Q45 for the past few years and have a completely custom intake for it. Check out the pics below. Has anyone tried to do anything like this on the sc300. There is definately space for it behond the front bumper. This worked wonders on my car and I imagine it would work just as well for the SC, especially in turbo aplications when the engine area gets super hot!
Attached Thumbnails Intake Idea...Anyone tried this?-intake.jpg  
Old 08-18-06, 07:12 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

its been done, people just dont like the risk of hydrolocking the motor if they hit a big puddle. Thus most stick to short rams or the bfi. the stock airbox is pretty efficient with few bottlenecks so putting a few velocity stacks on the cover takes it to its max potential.
Old 08-18-06, 07:23 AM
Trashed
Driver

its a very nice idea if you dont drive in the rain
Old 08-18-06, 07:29 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

What exactly is hydo locking, I have heard that term used once before? With these custom intakes you need to worry more I would think about dirt debri and water finding it's way into the intake...

Really the best flowing air intake besides the BFI design is to cut a hole directly down into the front fender wheel well right above or behind the tire area and run the intake tube to connect directly to the new cut hole...That is where the most cold air is pushed around...Unfortunately water and debris too...A good filtration is needed with that setup... I have seen that done once and horsepower was gained on an SC......Any intake that starts under the hood is going to draw in engine heat, like pod filters even with heat sheilds, there is always heat under the hood.... Cold box air intakes seem to be effecient if you can locate a good one.....
Old 08-18-06, 07:34 AM
zinkie13
Rookie

I actually haven't had a single problem with it in the last two years on my q45. I realize there is a risk of hydrolock, but that seems like it would only be a problem if I drove through a small stream. It seems to stay almost completely dry in that area even during rainstorms. It does seem to pick up a little bit more road grime, but that isn't a big deal if it is cleaned frequently.
Old 08-18-06, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I did something similar on my RX300 (another CL RX300 owner TunedRX300 invented this for us), but where our intake enters it is a little bit higher up unless you are in an biblical flood, no issue. See my website below for details.
Old 08-18-06, 07:41 AM
zinkie13
Rookie

I believe you can get a fitting that takes the place of a coupler. I don't remember where I saw it but it somehow detects when a large amount of water enters the intake and shuts it off completely. That would be a good thing to find if someone was trying to make a ram air intake where the fog lights could be removed for increased air flow.
Old 08-18-06, 07:50 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Memph - Water and or dirt will still travel thu the center of that similar OEM fitment...That will help with the sides but not straight on junk....I have seen those and they do help but do not completely solve the potential problem...
Old 08-18-06, 01:13 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

I ran something like that for a year, never had a trouble with rain.
Old 08-18-06, 02:47 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

i agree in the fact that it may not ever lock up with it being so low but i did have a buddy hit a rain puddle on a decently engineered street with an aem cold air with one of the bypass valves but... the water hit the filter too quickly and upon going through the element it didnt cause enough vacuum issues for the bypass valve to open and thus still locked the motor. I know this was somewhat of a freak occurance but it can still happen.

Also aem was having big issues with the valving on those bypass valves ripping apart and destroying motors a year or two back. i was one of those suckers, got stuck in the intake manifold and blocked off cyl 3 and 4.... bi bi built motor
Old 08-18-06, 04:02 PM
Kimbroz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Also aem was having big issues with the valving on those bypass valves ripping apart and destroying motors a year or two back. i was one of those suckers, got stuck in the intake manifold and blocked off cyl 3 and 4.... bi bi built motor
sorry for your loss

scorching a motor has got to be on the top 5 of the "Sucks to be you list".

this thread reminded me of those intakes rarely seen/sold in catalogs that would stick out in front of your bumper and imitate an intercooler.
Old 08-18-06, 04:11 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kimbroz
this thread reminded me of those intakes rarely seen/sold in catalogs that would stick out in front of your bumper and imitate an intercooler.
i remember seein it on horsepower TV , but it had a plastic cover in front of it to stop water that was removable.
Old 08-18-06, 04:55 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

thanks kimbroz but it does teach you to test out your parts prior to installing them (if possible). i feel bad for people who actually bought those front mount intakes as those things are ugly as they are useless.
Old 08-18-06, 08:35 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive dont something similar to that before. I like it!