Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 01:42 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Update..

I went thru the entire wiring and gauge and determined the gauge itself was faulty. I have since ordered a new one from Lexus. Interesting thing midway thru the 92 year Lexus changed the gauge design. Now if you have a first half model year the the gauge is about $115 or so but the second half model year it is $290. Lucky for me mine was from the first half.

There is a slight difference in the needle but not much. Now the gauge reads fine so far and goes to zero when you shut off the car. I will see how it goes and if my issue reoccurs i will post.

Thanks for your replys.
Old 10-25-12, 07:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Update..

I went thru the entire wiring and gauge and determined the gauge itself was faulty. I have since ordered a new one from Lexus. Interesting thing midway thru the 92 year Lexus changed the gauge design. Now if you have a first half model year the the gauge is about $115 or so but the second half model year it is $290. Lucky for me mine was from the first half.

There is a slight difference in the needle but not much. Now the gauge reads fine so far and goes to zero when you shut off the car. I will see how it goes and if my issue reoccurs i will post.

Thanks for your replys.
Glad you got it resolved...
Old 11-12-12, 02:03 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 lexus is250 that has approx 140000 miles on it. I just got it back from the dealership after they finished installing the new pistons. I just wanted to know if i can add a can of bg 44k to the gas tank? Will this harm my fuel filter or have any bad side effects, since i never use a fuel additive before.
Old 11-12-12, 08:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Why did they replace the pistons? And why do you feel the need to run that product through your fuel tank? Though generally they will not really do anything of interest on modern cars, they are peace of mind...for some at least. Detergents in modern fuels negate the need for fuel injector cleaners or anything of the sort.

You would likely be better off running seafoam through the vacuum system.

But again, why did they replace your pistons?
Old 11-12-12, 12:06 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Why did they replace the pistons? And why do you feel the need to run that product through your fuel tank? Though generally they will not really do anything of interest on modern cars, they are peace of mind...for some at least. Detergents in modern fuels negate the need for fuel injector cleaners or anything of the sort.

You would likely be better off running seafoam through the vacuum system.

But again, why did they replace your pistons?
The IS250 had a flaw with it pistons design causing major carbon build up issue leading to rough idle and rapid oil consumption. Lexus issued a warranty to extend coverage for the pistons replacement. Thanks for the response. The dealership I go to was advertising it and i've heard some good stuff about BG's products.
Old 11-12-12, 08:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sgmbab
The IS250 had a flaw with it pistons design causing major carbon build up issue leading to rough idle and rapid oil consumption. Lexus issued a warranty to extend coverage for the pistons replacement. Thanks for the response. The dealership I go to was advertising it and i've heard some good stuff about BG's products.
Kinda... There really isn't a flaw in the design of the pistons... The issue was that the PCV system was venting too much crankcase vapor back into the intake... this vapor settles on the back of the valves, hardens, building up over time, and causes drivability issues... Most engines have (or at least used to anymore) fuel injectors that sprayed towards the back of the valve and kept them relatively clean. The IS250 motor does not have these, instead it is direct injection only. To keep from a whole engine redesign, Toyota tightened piston ring tolerances to slow this process down by not venting as much crankcase vapor back into the intake...
Old 11-12-12, 08:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

As a side note, fuel injector cleaner will not help these engines... Seafoam or intake cleaning treatment is the only real help for this issue. This should be administered through the closest vacuum port behind the throttle body that has the most even dispersion in the intake manifold...
Old 11-14-12, 02:16 PM
sgmbab
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
As a side note, fuel injector cleaner will not help these engines... Seafoam or intake cleaning treatment is the only real help for this issue. This should be administered through the closest vacuum port behind the throttle body that has the most even dispersion in the intake manifold...
Do you have any pictures of this vaccum port or instructions on how i can do this? Can i use this seafoam method like the one on this GS on post number 147?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...y-pics-10.html
Old 12-02-12, 04:34 PM
scoupewill
Driver School Candidate

1994 sc400, press the brake pedal and the car stalls, check engine light and trac off light are on until i rev the engine a lil, and car idles rough. unplug the brake switch and both lights got out and car idles and runs smooth.... can you help me. i am new Lexus, i am use to working on Honda's...
Old 12-03-12, 12:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by scoupewill
1994 sc400, press the brake pedal and the car stalls, check engine light and trac off light are on until i rev the engine a lil, and car idles rough. unplug the brake switch and both lights got out and car idles and runs smooth.... can you help me. i am new Lexus, i am use to working on Honda's...
chances are your check engine light will give you some insight as to your issue... lots of potentials...

obd1 cars can be easier than 2 sometimes - if the light is on, its a hard fault... search for obd1 lexus code pull and report back with the codes you have...
Old 12-06-12, 02:20 PM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

hi i am going to clean my EGR valve for my sc300 1997, and i am currently trying to figure out the best procedure and best items to get this done
Old 12-06-12, 09:33 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sc2chainz
hi i am going to clean my EGR valve for my sc300 1997, and i am currently trying to figure out the best procedure and best items to get this done
carb cleaner...
Old 12-07-12, 09:38 AM
sc2chainz
Driver School Candidate

i was told that carb choke could destroy the sensor, is that any bit true?
Old 12-07-12, 10:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sc2chainz
i was told that carb choke could destroy the sensor, is that any bit true?
sensor or valve???

the valves wont be hurt by it, sensor, good chance it will...
Old 12-10-12, 05:01 AM
scoupewill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
chances are your check engine light will give you some insight as to your issue... lots of potentials...

obd1 cars can be easier than 2 sometimes - if the light is on, its a hard fault... search for obd1 lexus code pull and report back with the codes you have...
I put a jumper in the port under the hood, I'm not getting any codes.

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)