Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 08:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with Cody, in this case your problem is most likely a fuse, or at least I thought that, until you said the dealership checked it out and said the fuses were good.

I was also going to ask why you didnt have the dealer troubleshoot since it was there, and again you answered my question.

On a budget huh? Thats quite alright, we will help you out.

As Cody said, you have to remove the assembly from the dash, and start digging deeper into the electrical. The most likely scenario? Your climate control circuit board blew a component, in which case the unit will need replacement.
Old 04-11-12, 08:43 PM
08lexus350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can i get a diagram
Old 04-26-12, 10:49 AM
08lexus350
Driver

does anyone know is the connector that goes into the center unit that controls radio and climate unit??? i think its the j54 ??? i bought a 700pg book of the lexus isX50 wire diagram .. kinda hard to understand it since I'm new to this but am doing my best to understand it.. lol
Old 05-12-12, 10:46 AM
08lexus350
Driver

ok got a new temp ecu, located on passenger side under dash, its a blue box. this fixed the problem, my lcd screen works now and all the buttons work. but still have a problem, no matter what mode, speed i set it, i get no air coming out. seems like the blower motor might be dead. anyone have any idea??
Old 05-12-12, 01:10 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Either the motor, or the blower motor resistor.
Old 05-12-12, 01:15 PM
08lexus350
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Either the motor, or the blower motor resistor.
Any way to check?
Old 05-12-12, 01:45 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

The resistor you would have a burnt spot on the circuitboard...honestly its been years since I have had it happen, but it happened in an old ford I had. Had to tap the dash in a certain spot, then the blower motor would work till I hit a bump, then I had to whack it again.

Then one day it died altogether. When I pulled it apart, there was a charred black mark on the green silicone circuitboard.
Old 05-29-12, 11:16 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello allmighty CL mechanics .
My friend bought a 2004 Infiniti I35, I know it's not a Lexus, no one yet has been able to help him with a weird issue he'ss having. If you can help, my friend and me would really appreciate.
Problem: when CD is playing all left side (driver) speakers are not working, sub works.
When radio is playing all speakers work as they should. Sound system is a stock Bose head unit and stock speakers. There is an 3.5" wire installed to hook up ipod and etc that works through the radio.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-12, 08:45 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Hmm, sounds a short in the internal circuitry of the radio. I am not much for electronics...When stuff like this happens I usually just replace the radio with an aftermarket upgrade.
Old 05-30-12, 07:31 PM
vomer
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys,

Just changed my engine air filter on my 08 is250 for the first time myself.

My only concern was that after replacing the filter I positioned the top part and put the clasps back on I noticed that the top cover is not flush with the bottom cover. What I mean is that there is a "lip" of sorts between the top and bottom covers. I stupidly did not check if this is how it normally is before I took it off so looking for input from you guys here.

If you run your finger around the joint of the two parts is there a lip?

The clasps went back on so I am assuming this means I did it right? Would you mind checking on yours to see if there is a lip between upper and lower?

Since this was the first time I have done this I was a bit concerned.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-12, 12:55 PM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

I have a 93 GS and replaced the engine. My cats are clogged and can lead to overheating. I have been told that aftermarket cats won't last very long and oem are ridiculously expensive. I just want to know what options there are. I have heard everything from headers to straight pipe, drill holes in the cat and magnaflows. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 06-21-12, 02:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HandsomeB
I have a 93 GS and replaced the engine. My cats are clogged and can lead to overheating. I have been told that aftermarket cats won't last very long and oem are ridiculously expensive. I just want to know what options there are. I have heard everything from headers to straight pipe, drill holes in the cat and magnaflows. Any suggestions are welcomed.
So long as your cats are not in the exhaust manifold like the newer cars, there is no reason an aftermarket cat won't give you fine performance for a good amount of time...

drilling holes in the cat is the worst thing you could do - it will make the exhaust sound terrible...

a quick search on ebay shows direct fit catalytic converters, but at the same time, you should call a local exhaust shop - chances are they have the same or similar in stock and can have it welded or bolted in in less than an hour...

worse comes to worse, there are aftermarket solutions that will allow you to put a straight pipe in place of the cat... this isn't so emissions legal, but would allow you to drive the car with only a check engine light advising you the cats aren't working properly...
Old 06-21-12, 05:44 PM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
So long as your cats are not in the exhaust manifold like the newer cars, there is no reason an aftermarket cat won't give you fine performance for a good amount of time...

drilling holes in the cat is the worst thing you could do - it will make the exhaust sound terrible...

a quick search on ebay shows direct fit catalytic converters, but at the same time, you should call a local exhaust shop - chances are they have the same or similar in stock and can have it welded or bolted in in less than an hour...

worse comes to worse, there are aftermarket solutions that will allow you to put a straight pipe in place of the cat... this isn't so emissions legal, but would allow you to drive the car with only a check engine light advising you the cats aren't working properly...
The cats are located in the exhaust manifold unfortunately. Each place thinks they have a solution but mostly guesses. I'm thinking of straight pipe, but would I need headers? Not too concerned about passing emissions because I haven't in years....... Got a guy. So what do u think
Old 06-22-12, 05:31 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by HandsomeB
The cats are located in the exhaust manifold unfortunately. Each place thinks they have a solution but mostly guesses. I'm thinking of straight pipe, but would I need headers? Not too concerned about passing emissions because I haven't in years....... Got a guy. So what do u think

If the cats are in the manifold ( I didn't think they started that until later), then your best bet is to find someone that has removed their exhaust Mani in exchange for a turbo kit or what not... if you can't locate one, then replacing with aftermarket headers 2ould work as well as give you a bit of performance boost..
Old 06-22-12, 05:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Ill Elaine orate a little... you can't replace the. ATS with straight pipe for the same reason new ones can't be welded in, unless you want to pay a fabrication shop big money to do it... it is easier and cheaper to replace the whole manifold....

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)