Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 06:40 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
I'm out of warranty, and yes it never resets, for example i pick up the turn signal up to turn right and after the turn is complete the signal is still going blinking, this is for both left and right turn. if i change the whole turn signal assembly would that fix it, i found couple used ones on ebay for about 150$ shipped..
there is a possibility that is all it is, in fact, I'd say likely, but without pulling it apart and observing it, it is hard to say...
Old 03-25-12, 06:48 AM
08lexus350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot
Old 03-28-12, 08:04 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello guys. I need your help on my transmission issue.
The car: 2001 Lexus LS430 UL with 108k/mi
When i first get in to drive in the morning, 1 to 2 gear shift is rough. After a stop all shifts are smooth. Basically first shift of the drive is rough - then all peachy. The rough shift is more noticable/seems rougher when I feather the throttle and drive really easy than giving it a little more gas and driving normally. I tried warming up the car fully (~10 min), or not (1-2min) - same thing, makes absolutely no difference. What I did notice is when its warm or hot weather outside there is very rare a rough shift where in the cold, winter temps there is definately a rough first shift. Also I noticed when my car stays parked for 3-4 hours untouched and then I drive it, there is a rough first shift. Only first shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear is rough, all other shifts are smooth as butter even after a rough shift. Transmission fluid was changes as my tranny pan was resealed and clutch O ring seal changed as they were a little moist, so was the tranny filter, done ~7000mi ago. ATF fluid is pink, level is good and smells fresh, no leaks 100%. All parts and fluids were bought at the dealer.
One more thing. Sometimes, actually more on the rare side, as I drive on the highway and press the accelerator enough to trigger a kickdown I get a very rough shift with a sound like when you put a car in a gear on a hill with no parking brake on.
Any advice and/or help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-12, 08:41 PM
08lexus350
Driver

hey guys took my car to the dealership and they gave me 4 codes that came up, C103, C1241, C1336, and C0278,
- i searched them and found that the C1241 code could be for
1. abs hydraulic pressure differential switch input short circuit to ground
2. low battery positive voltage
the code C0278 - is for Open or short circuit in the abs solenoid relay circuit.,

what can be the problem??
Old 03-29-12, 06:03 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Hello guys. I need your help on my transmission issue.
The car: 2001 Lexus LS430 UL with 108k/mi
When i first get in to drive in the morning, 1 to 2 gear shift is rough. After a stop all shifts are smooth. Basically first shift of the drive is rough - then all peachy. The rough shift is more noticable/seems rougher when I feather the throttle and drive really easy than giving it a little more gas and driving normally. I tried warming up the car fully (~10 min), or not (1-2min) - same thing, makes absolutely no difference. What I did notice is when its warm or hot weather outside there is very rare a rough shift where in the cold, winter temps there is definately a rough first shift. Also I noticed when my car stays parked for 3-4 hours untouched and then I drive it, there is a rough first shift. Only first shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear is rough, all other shifts are smooth as butter even after a rough shift. Transmission fluid was changes as my tranny pan was resealed and clutch O ring seal changed as they were a little moist, so was the tranny filter, done ~7000mi ago. ATF fluid is pink, level is good and smells fresh, no leaks 100%. All parts and fluids were bought at the dealer.
One more thing. Sometimes, actually more on the rare side, as I drive on the highway and press the accelerator enough to trigger a kickdown I get a very rough shift with a sound like when you put a car in a gear on a hill with no parking brake on.
Any advice and/or help will be greatly appreciated.
So it happens only 1 time per drive? Not so sure I would worry about it, could be something like a sticky solenoid inside the valve body, and as soon as it is actuated once, it is ok... Only way to fix may be to pull the valve body and service it... Not a very cheap job, but not as bad as it could be... of course, that is just a guess as well...
Old 03-29-12, 06:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

hey guys took my car to the dealership and they gave me 4 codes that came up, C103, C1241, C1336, and C0278,
- i searched them and found that the C1241 code could be for
1. abs hydraulic pressure differential switch input short circuit to ground
2. low battery positive voltage
the code C0278 - is for Open or short circuit in the abs solenoid relay circuit.,

what can be the problem??
C1336 is showing a reset of the yaw sensor is required... Common reasons - alignment was performed, but the reset procedure was not completed properly...

I wouldn't worry about the low battery voltage specifically, though it could be an issue related to one of the others... Unfortunately, to diagnose yourself, you are going to need a multimeter and access to wiring diagrams to test for voltages at the relays... chances are it is a relay or the abs unit itself, but without checking for power and ground a few key places, it would be hard to stomach just throwing parts at it when you see the cost of the abs unit...
Old 03-29-12, 07:11 AM
08lexus350
Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
C1336 is showing a reset of the yaw sensor is required... Common reasons - alignment was performed, but the reset procedure was not completed properly...

I wouldn't worry about the low battery voltage specifically, though it could be an issue related to one of the others... Unfortunately, to diagnose yourself, you are going to need a multimeter and access to wiring diagrams to test for voltages at the relays... chances are it is a relay or the abs unit itself, but without checking for power and ground a few key places, it would be hard to stomach just throwing parts at it when you see the cost of the abs unit...
thanks man, your really some help, would you know what the C103 code is
Old 03-29-12, 09:38 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
So it happens only 1 time per drive? Not so sure I would worry about it, could be something like a sticky solenoid inside the valve body, and as soon as it is actuated once, it is ok... Only way to fix may be to pull the valve body and service it... Not a very cheap job, but not as bad as it could be... of course, that is just a guess as well...
Thank you.
Yes, only once per drive. A rough shift on the highway could also be a sticky solenid?
Old 03-29-12, 08:05 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

thanks man, your really some help, would you know what the C103 code is
no idea... most of those, if not all that I see, are 4 digits...

perhaps a number was left off?
Old 03-29-12, 08:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Thank you.
Yes, only once per drive. A rough shift on the highway could also be a sticky solenid?
rough shifts are almost always sticky solenoids....
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 AM
08lexus350
Driver

need some help please, in my 08 is350, my heating unit is not working. meaning my lcd screen seems like its getting power but shows nothing, also i can push any of the 10 climate control unit buttons and nothing responds, its like its all dead. i got another unit and still same thing,. i took it to the dealership to have my fuses and relays checked they said it was all good, some people said it can be a short or ground problem,, what can i do ? i took it from the dealership because they said it would cost me couple hundred.
Attached Thumbnails Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)-image.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 07:39 PM
08lexus350
Driver

by any way can this be a alternator ???
Old 04-11-12, 07:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

need some help please, in my 08 is350, my heating unit is not working. meaning my lcd screen seems like its getting power but shows nothing, also i can push any of the 10 climate control unit buttons and nothing responds, its like its all dead. i got another unit and still same thing,. i took it to the dealership to have my fuses and relays checked they said it was all good, some people said it can be a short or ground problem,, what can i do ? i took it from the dealership because they said it would cost me couple hundred.
time to get a wiring diagram and start checking voltages on pins... make sure there is power and ground... could be a broken wire somewhere or all sorts of other things...
Old 04-11-12, 07:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

by any way can this be a alternator ???
most likely not...
Old 04-11-12, 08:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree with Cody, in this case your problem is most likely a fuse, or at least I thought that, until you said the dealership checked it out and said the fuses were good.

I was also going to ask why you didnt have the dealer troubleshoot since it was there, and again you answered my question.

On a budget huh? Thats quite alright, we will help you out.

As Cody said, you have to remove the assembly from the dash, and start digging deeper into the electrical. The most likely scenario? Your climate control circuit board blew a component, in which case the unit will need replacement.

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)