Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 07:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
i want to know on my 2000 es300 or 2001 Rx300 if things like automatic door lock and unlock when in shift in drive or park , respectively can be programmed by the Lexus service. thanks
good question... maybe the OP would come back and chime in...

Don't have any experience with the OEM scan tool...
Old 09-21-11, 07:56 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ok i will wait ..
Also i have made a thread on Es300 forum about the gas/fuel needle acting weird in that i have noticed for few months that the fuel gauge needle sometimes goes down a little bit and than comes back to the original reading..its only a minor drop but can be noticeable. And it usually happen when driving. and it doesn't matter what grades/octane of fuel i use.
Old 09-21-11, 08:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

ok i will wait ..
Also i have made a thread on Es300 forum about the gas/fuel needle acting weird in that i have noticed for few months that the fuel gauge needle sometimes goes down a little bit and than comes back to the original reading..its only a minor drop but can be noticeable. And it usually happen when driving. and it doesn't matter what grades/octane of fuel i use.
couple potential causes for this - gauge is bad, loose wiring connection, or, the most popular cause - the fuel level sender inside the tank is starting to go bad...
Old 09-22-11, 12:00 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gah, my ride canceled last night, i'll for def be going today, even if i gotta take the bike, we gonna see wut up with that belt
Old 09-23-11, 12:30 PM
jrcole
Driver School Candidate

Default Radiator flush

I am thinking about flushing the radiator myself on my ES 330 any suggestion as to how to go about do this?
Old 09-23-11, 12:34 PM
jrcole
Driver School Candidate

Default Noise break peddle

Every time I take my foot oft the break it makes this noise like somthing is worn out...sounds like I am driving a truck...any idea on how to fix it?
Old 09-27-11, 06:54 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jrcole
Every time I take my foot oft the break it makes this noise like somthing is worn out...sounds like I am driving a truck...any idea on how to fix it?
yup... look at your brakes... that sounds like your brake pad wear indicators are touching the rotors...

get it checked out now before it gets worse and ruins your rotors too...
Old 09-27-11, 07:06 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jrcole
I am thinking about flushing the radiator myself on my ES 330 any suggestion as to how to go about do this?
yup, follow the instructions on the flush chemical bottle... there are also some DIY's around here

essentially:

pull petcock at bottom of radiator, allow as much to come out as possible

fill with water, drain again

fill with water and flush chemical

start engine, allow to heat up completely, turn heater on high 10 minutes or more

allow to cool

drain again

(here's an additional step I do)

fill with water, start engine, allow to heat up completely, heater on high 10 minutes

allow to cool

drain again

fill with coolant - because some water remains in the block, I use full strength coolant, 1 gallon, then 1/2 gallon water (supposed to be distilled, but IMO, it doesn't matter - it becomes normal water the second it hits the cooing system anyways), then top off as needed... your goal on a hydrometer is to go for -32 degrees F, which is essentially 50/50 coolant / antifreeze...

Personally, I use standard Green coolant, with all the additives (and just change every 2 years), but there is a newer coolant out there that is even better called Khameleon that we are going to start carrying at work... works with almost any system and is long life as well...
Old 09-28-11, 07:21 AM
imherenow
Racer

is radiator flush and coolant flush same or different things? because my Lexus service person told me its time for coolant flush..so does it mean that the radiator will be flushed too or just coolant? ..and if its just coolant then should i go ahead with radiator flush too ? my car is 2000 es300 with 101,000miles on it...thanks
Old 09-28-11, 11:32 AM
Brittman
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting work done on my LS400, and does it sound right that it takes 9hrs for oil control valve replacement?
Old 09-28-11, 07:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

is radiator flush and coolant flush same or different things? because my Lexus service person told me its time for coolant flush..so does it mean that the radiator will be flushed too or just coolant? ..and if its just coolant then should i go ahead with radiator flush too ? my car is 2000 es300 with 101,000miles on it...thanks
yes, same thing... coolant flows through the radiator and engine to transfer heat from one to the other...
Old 09-30-11, 02:20 PM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just purchased a 2012 RX AWD, NAV, Comfort Pkg, Premium Pkg. I traded in a 2004 RX AWD fully loaded with 64K and never had any problems. I'm not sure about purchasing an extended warranty because by buying the 7 year/70k mileage plan for $1695 I would be paying for 4 years that my factory warranty already covers. If the plan picked up at the end of my factory warranty I could understand. I realize there are alot more mechanical things that could go wrong which is why I'm concerned. Any advice?
Old 09-30-11, 02:23 PM
imherenow
Racer

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
yes, same thing... coolant flows through the radiator and engine to transfer heat from one to the other...
so ok i got my coolant changed from Lexus service how can i tell the before and after fluid..because before i could see some particles and now i still see pretty much same thing,,and also the colour of the fluid ( i think) looks the same to me...is there any way i can tell before from after of the coolant ..thanks
Old 10-01-11, 01:49 PM
Jle2k
Driver School Candidate

Question Side moulding

Hey! I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to install the window side moulding because it got damaged when the guy tinting my car was using a heat gun. It's the window moulding that's literally in between the 2 windows on each side that's about a 1-2 inches thick. I've tried looking everywhere, so if you could help. I'd be very greatful.

Ps it's part 75761a
Old 10-01-11, 04:24 PM
akash3230
Driver School Candidate

i have a sub in my car that i put in. but i dont have a remote turn on line. i do but for some reason it stays at 12v after i put everything back togther. before i used a multi meter to test the wire and it would show 0. i am guesing it because my postive lead and rto are too close. and so what im asking is there another wire i can tap into from the factory amp. btw i have a 2008 lexus gs350 awd w/ navi but w/o mark levinson.

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)