Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 06:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdubs
My Rx350 was making a noise like a muted mini air compressor. Car had not been driven for two hours or more. I noticed it when retrieving something from garage. Once I turned on car and off it ceased. Ideas?
You may have something stuck in the fan or stuck close to the fan - since the fan is temperature and sometimes load controlled, it may not turn right back on when the car is restarted... simple enough, check the area between the radiator and engine for an obstruction... of course there may be other potentials, but that is the only thing that comes to mind...
Old 11-09-11, 03:37 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had a question..m looking for tires but they also come with steel rims ..so the car that the person drives is a 2008 MITSUBISHI LANCER and i was wondering will that steel rim fit a 2000 Es300? i mean i was looking online to see if the two match up..but i think one website said the center bore is bit off but the rest of the size in numbers match? can u check on that? or how do i know..i dont want to buy it and then find out that it wont fit ..
its a 205/60/R16
Old 11-09-11, 06:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by imherenow
i had a question..m looking for tires but they also come with steel rims ..so the car that the person drives is a 2008 MITSUBISHI LANCER and i was wondering will that steel rim fit a 2000 Es300? i mean i was looking online to see if the two match up..but i think one website said the center bore is bit off but the rest of the size in numbers match? can u check on that? or how do i know..i dont want to buy it and then find out that it wont fit ..
its a 205/60/R16
The bolt pattern should be the same from most Lancers, but not all, IIRC... so long as the bolt pattern is the same, and the hub center on the Lancers is larger than it is for Lexus, than you are good... Most Lexus cars are 5-4.5 bolt pattern, 60.1 center bore...
Old 11-13-11, 04:38 PM
imherenow
Racer

it had happened few times now..i have noticed that when i started the car in cold days, it wont stay up...like it would fire up but then immediately die down..its weird . So i had to press on gas pedal to keep it at high RPM and then for like 30-40 seconds the car would stay on its own and things would come back to normal..
i had coolant and timing belt changed last month..
it only happens sometimes tho
Old 11-22-11, 09:21 AM
imherenow
Racer

sorry to keep bothering u again..but i thought to ask an expert on this :
ok so when i started the car in cold it started up normally but then when i were give some gas like from a stop/red signal i can hear some noise like "grrrrrr grrrr" kinda noise..and it only happens when i give gas and the noise is more noticeable @ low speed reving and also i can hear it when in ideal/neutral/ or in park mode and i give gas again i can hear it too..
Also a note that few weeks back i had some idealing issue . And after searching this forum i found that i might have a Idle control valve cleaning to be done..so that noise could be due to that valve problem? or something else? anyone has any idea? thanks
Old 11-22-11, 09:33 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

sorry to keep bothering u again..but i thought to ask an expert on this :
ok so when i started the car in cold it started up normally but then when i were give some gas like from a stop/red signal i can hear some noise like "grrrrrr grrrr" kinda noise..and it only happens when i give gas and the noise is more noticeable @ low speed reving and also i can hear it when in ideal/neutral/ or in park mode and i give gas again i can hear it too..
Also a note that few weeks back i had some idealing issue . And after searching this forum i found that i might have a Idle control valve cleaning to be done..so that noise could be due to that valve problem? or something else? anyone has any idea? thanks
Sounds like a bad idler pulley for the serpentine belt, believe it or not, and is probably unrelated to your idling issue.
Old 11-22-11, 09:43 AM
imherenow
Racer

ooo idler pulley? hmmm i did had the timing belt and A/C and P/S belt replaced from the dealership about a month or so back now i forgot what does A/C and P/S belt stands for.i could ask them but that is what said on the service paper..anyways so the pulley u mentioned could be due to those belts? thanks
Old 11-22-11, 09:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

ooo idler pulley? hmmm i did had the timing belt and A/C and P/S belt replaced from the dealership about a month or so back now i forgot what does A/C and P/S belt stands for.i could ask them but that is what said on the service paper..anyways so the pulley u mentioned could be due to those belts? thanks
a/c = air conditioning
p/s = power steering

the growl noise could be from many different things - perhaps the idler pulley as suggested, perhaps low on power steering fluid, or a worn power steering pump, perhaps a bearing going bad in the alternator or even water pump... related to the belts being changed - not really - probably in the same general area, but unless the belt is stretched and making noise, nothing wrong with them it sounds like...

some of these are more common when cold, such as the power steering pump noises... since it has been getting cooler out, your valve problem may be more exacerbated as well...
Old 11-22-11, 10:44 AM
imherenow
Racer

hmm speaking of stretched belts i did remember a day or two after the timing belts and other belts were changed i heard some noise (kinda same as now ) but that was ONLY during idling and it went away after some driving . So the dealership said that " the belt need some adjustment " and so they did some adjustment ..probably loosen or tighten the belt and the noise went away..if that is the case this time i will tell them..i will take a video too
Old 11-22-11, 04:25 PM
imherenow
Racer

so ok heres the videos for that noise .Also the 2nd video is where the camera was placed at the back (other side of exhaust) ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAG1P..._order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxVjA5AHI-E
Old 11-23-11, 01:05 PM
imherenow
Racer

So i have the video .but the noise is more noticeable towards the back..( from 2nd video)...
Old 11-23-11, 05:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

not sure if I hear anything really out of the ordinary on the second video, but the first one sounds like you have some sort of belt noise...
Old 11-23-11, 05:37 PM
imherenow
Racer

oo in the 2nd video its between 0.07 to 0.13 secs u can heard like a growling sound..
Old 11-23-11, 05:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I'm sure its easy for you to hear as you have been there in person, but just sounds like background noise to me...
Old 11-25-11, 07:20 PM
imherenow
Racer

ok so i booked appointment from dealer in 2 weeks ..i cant wait that long and that noise is killing/bothering me..so i was searching on net and i think @ first that that i may have a catalytic problem ( which i doubt) or it maybe be a heat shield vibrating, because the noise is clearly coming from center bottom underneath the car..Now what does that mean "heat shield vibrating" ( thats what i am guessing) ..so if that is the case ( i will look underneath tomorrow) how can i fix it..i prolly will have to move/adjust the shield around? or need some tool to fix it..thanks

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)