Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

IS this a problem...outside shops doing service work

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-01, 04:40 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin works at a Chevrolet dealership and said they would be able to do everything I need on the side, but I need to bring in the parts. I mean just for routine maintenance. Will the dealership have a problem with me not having documentation of the service. My other friend is a salesman at a Dodge dealership and he does my oil changes with documentation, but will it be a problem with my cousins dealership. Just protecting there rearends. let me know what you all thing.

Thanks
Old 07-04-01, 11:10 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

I think it would be ok. As long as you show a legitimate receipt it should be good enough. Lexus is looking for people who come in with an engine knock, show no service history at all with any other Lexus dealership, then show up with oil change receipts that look like they were all written the same day. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you continue to take good care of your engine, you won't need to worry about all that stuff.
Old 07-05-01, 04:57 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Mike, I'm a bit more sceptical re your warranty if you were to present at Lexus without documentation of service, as you mention in your post. I suspect that we consumers pay more for the non-warranty services that we receive than the factory would reimburse the dealership for the same work, therefore, there could be a financial incentive to declare some problem as non-warrantied and let you pay the full load.

Take home lesson: get it documented, no matter what and no matter where.
Old 07-05-01, 08:25 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Once again, I agree with Mooretorque.

Without the receipt or documentation you could be in hot water.

Won't the Chevy dealership give you a receipt saying "performed oil change/filter", "changed spark plugs" and the mileage and date? I'd say that's the minimum you'd need to keep Lexus happy.
Old 07-05-01, 06:50 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help everyone!...I understand what you guys are saying regarding the documentation, so I am going to ask again if he will be able to do it for me. I serviced my '98 vette there with no receipts etc, but they were also the ones that warrantied my engine when I blew it up as well as the tranny a few miles later. The mechanic there is very good, but they do this for me "under the table" with the service manager not knowing. I am going to get the exact details and perhaps they can give me some documentation like when I took my car to my friends Dodge dealership. Thanks again for the help. It just seems like too much, $650, to do a 30k service. I mean they are just fluids. I have taken my car to the lex dealership for some routine oil changes when I had warranty work and I also had my 15k service done there. Just trying to save for some 20" ld-1s, so every little bit counts.

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-05-01, 09:14 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

$650 for a 30k service?!?! That's crazy. Lexus of Madison charged me under $350 for the service.

Brian
Old 07-06-01, 03:08 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

My 15k service cost 300-350...
Old 07-10-01, 07:52 PM
vj604
Driver

this is starting to bother me as well. im kinda sick of lexus wanting us to bring in the car every 5K ,o r 7500 miles to check useless ****. to tighten bolts...and what gets me is the astronimical price. i think my tastes ahve changed and it might be time to give up the SC....
Old 07-10-01, 08:30 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Your tastes have changed because of Lexus service?

IMHO,

Let's be fair. Lexus is doing what most other luxury car manufacturers are doing -- providing a full maintenance service routine at luxury car prices. Let's face it, most of us are enthusiasts. We value our cars in aspects that most luxo owners don't appreciate. This so, we're aware of the realities of luxury service -- it's expensive. Frankly I don't see a problem with it. Lexus is a money-making business for both corporate and individual dealers.

Their service is to take after-sale maintenance off owner's minds. They do it and, in my opinion, do it better than most other luxury brands. On ClubLexus, we tend to hear most of the bad stories of dealers because people don't usually post about how wonderful all the dealers are (okay, some do ). I've had a couple bad experiences, but of my trips to the 5 dealers that I remember visiting, the experiences have been vastly positive.

They charge a lot for service; but our cars weren't cheap either, so price is relative. For me, it's a five hour trip to my nearest dealer. Compound that on top of an already expensive maintenance routine. So I do what many have done at ClubLexus. I handle the minor oil changes myself, and take my baby to the dealer for the major maintenance. It's a conservative balance for the sake of convenience, finance, and a record that my car had major services performed by Lexus (for resale's sake).

Brian
Old 07-11-01, 04:45 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I take my car to my brother's BMW shop to do little things. Saves me tons of $$$
Old 07-11-01, 06:12 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Remember this is a dealer offering dealer prices.

There is nothing new about dealers charging high prices for scheduled maintenance. The charges were just as outrageous when cars needed major service every 2500 miles. At least now the intervals are much greater... and the cars stay in one piece longer.

Have any of you taken your car to a Toyota or other dealer for service. None of them are cheap. Lexus, being a luxury brand charges more. How do you think they pay for all those loaner cars and comfortable waiting rooms that we enjoy so much?
Old 07-11-01, 10:38 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default UMMMM....

i got racked up a $1000 dollar bill when i had my 36K done, I guess it was for the extra spark plugs they put in?!

P.S. They wante $985 to change my brake pads
Old 07-12-01, 12:39 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the brake pads are easy enough so I'm considering doing it myself, in addition to resurfacing the rotors to save $500+. Anyone done their brakes before? anything I should be watching out for?