LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 L AWD road noise from rear at low highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-18, 05:28 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 L AWD road noise from rear at low highway speeds

I own a 2014 LS460 L AWD bought new. It now has almost 38000 miles on it. Took a road trip fro m Plano, Texas to Norman Ok this past weekend. Traveled up there on Interstate at about 80 MPS other than through a construction zone in Oklahoma. On way back, I decided to avoid construction zone so took a parallel US highway to avoid it. It was a nice drive but slower traffic on two lanes had me driving 60 to 70 mph some of the time behind traffic. Noticed a loud noise from rear area of car, sounded a little like a small air leak or a mechanical hum. Never recall noticing this before but rarely drive this highway speed in the town on the toll roads and freeways. What could this be? I do not have an extended warranty but usually take car to dealer on something like this though I do oill change and other regular PM at an Independent garage here in Plano. Anyone else had this issue? Due to AWD? Where would you take it, dealer ?

Thanks in advance. I have been kicking around the idea of trading int in on a low mileage used G90 ir Infiniti Q70L AWD but worried about their reliability vs my Lexus, which other than this issue has been flawless thus far.

I am wondering is a severe noise like this could be tire noise of a certain type of surface? Was out and about in it today in DFW and its absolutely silent. Drove some at the speeds I mentioned but nothing noisy at any speed today?

PS I should add this noise is only noticable at the speed indicated, speeding up made it much more subtle to non noticeable depending on tire road noise. Same for lower speeds.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-02-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-02-18, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, thats what I would check out.

In any event I would take it to the dealer since its under warranty.

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
I have been kicking around the idea of trading int in on a low mileage used G90 ir Infiniti Q70L AWD
Just out of curiosity, why? I've driven both of those cars several times. The Q70L is nowhere near in the same league as the LS, its not as refined, technology is dated, not as comfortable. Its a class below the LS, better compared to the GS. The G90 is a great car, very similar to the LS but I wouldn't trade a low mileage 13-17 LS460L on one, wouldn't be any point since the cars are so similar. If I had an older LS and wanted something new, then I would definitely take a look at the G90.
Old 07-02-18, 09:00 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me, thats what I would check out.
In any event I would take it to the dealer since its under warranty.
Depending upon the purchase date, the car may be out of the new car 4 yr/50K warranty. For example, my 2014 460L was purchased in Jan 2014 by the previous owner.

I would still take it to the dealer.
Old 07-02-18, 11:34 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by comotiger
Depending upon the purchase date, the car may be out of the new car 4 yr/50K warranty. For example, my 2014 460L was purchased in Jan 2014 by the previous owner.

I would still take it to the dealer.
Its inside four years, turns 4 in November. Tried to get it to make that noise today and its silent. COuld it be the combination of road surface, speed and tired? Never heard it before or since. May take it in to register the issue now even if it is not repeatable.
Old 07-02-18, 02:50 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Hi John,
Great to know that your car is under warranty through November. I would get it checked out if the dealer is conveniently located. Unless the noise can be replicated at the dealership, they won't do anything. But you could request a diagnosis and have it be entered into the service records. All the factors you mentioned could be contributing to the noise, so hopefully the car itself is mechanically sound.

I am curious to see pictures of your car since we have very similar vehicles. I bought mine used in February 2016 and is at 64,000 miles. Perfect car, and a joy to drive!
Old 07-03-18, 04:31 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Default 70

Hi John,
Great to know that your car is under warranty through November. I would get it checked out if the dealer is conveniently located. Unless the noise can be replicated at the dealership, they won't do anything. But you could request a diagnosis and have it be entered into the service records. All the factors you mentioned could be contributing to the noise, so hopefully the car itself is mechanically sound.

I am curious to see pictures of your car since we have very similar vehicles. I bought mine used in February 2016 and is at 64,000 miles. Perfect car, and a joy to drive!

Thanks for this post, I tried to get the sound yesterday but could not get it to make it again. I would not have thought of requesting a diagnosis of this issue. But getting it on the record makes all kinds of sense to me. Im technically challenged and not sure how to get a picture on my phone to post here. But will try it today if it is straight forward. I like the car very much, it has been flawless up to hearing this noise which I increasingly think was road noise. I got the car to do some road trips and have driven it to NM Mountains three times and to NWArkansas once. Our habits have change though so we do not go much any more and it is a lot of car to get so little use. Hence my thought about the Q70L and G90.. I have a 2011 Infiniti QX56 which I like to drive as much as the Lexus. Both are low mileage now that we have slowed down our travels.

I forgot to add, Park Place Lexus is 3 miles or so from my house and Sewell Lexus is 12 miles or so. So both are very convenient. I like Sewells approach best

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-03-18 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS460L is no more car than a G90...I think it’s just your perception. I would just keep your LS.
Old 07-03-18, 09:10 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

The LS460L is no more car than a G90...I think it’s just your perception. I would just keep your LS.
The 2017-8 G90 AWD Ultimate has significant interior and safety upgrades compared to the 2014 460L. Massaging front seats, surround view cameras, LKA and reclining rear seats (relatively rare on the 460L), multicolor ambient lighting, all digital dash, and a much bigger trunk. The LS definitely has the imposing look and cache. If the G90 checks many more boxes on features, and is just as quiet as the LS, then it's definitely worth a look. But it is just as big a car as the 460L, so it won't be a good fit if the OP wants to downsize.
Old 07-03-18, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 2017-8 G90 AWD Ultimate has significant interior and safety upgrades compared to the 2014 460L. Massaging front seats, surround view cameras, LKA and reclining rear seats (relatively rare on the 460L), multicolor ambient lighting, all digital dash, and a much bigger trunk. The LS definitely has the imposing look and cache. If the G90 checks many more boxes on features, and is just as quiet as the LS, then it's definitely worth a look. But it is just as big a car as the 460L, so it won't be a good fit if the OP wants to downsize.
I agree with all of that (except the G90 doesn't have a full digital dash, it just has a better screen between the gauges), my point is just that it doesn't make any sense to get a G90 if one feels the LS is too much car.
Old 07-03-18, 10:25 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

I agree with all of that (except the G90 90doesn't have a full digital dash, it just has a better screen between the gauges), my point is just that it doesn't make any sense to get a G90 if one feels the LS is too much car.
Thanks for the posts guys on G90 vs LS460L. I think the trunk in the G90 is smaller at just under 20 cubic feet vs 25 in my LS460L. The big trunk was important when we were doing long road trips with other couples but we no longer are needing that much trunk.

My top criteria for a car is reliability which LS is tops in my view. Even a used 2017 G90 is more expensive a vehicle to have cash tied up in vs my LS460L. Value of my LS is about $40k vs $50k for a low mileage 2017 G90. I found a 2015 Equus with a lower value than my LS, but it felt older despite being newer and less miles than my LS. I did not expect that nosier, older feeling in a newer car than mine. So I consider the LS more car even for same mileage and year. I do not use it or need it as much as when I bought it but likely wil keep it just cant beat the reliability..

Still cant replicate the road noise I heard on my road trip. Another strange thing happened over my weekend trip. The air pressure on all four tires on the road was 3 PSI lower at some point over the trip think it was from the beginning. I had pumped them back up now and maybe that is why I cant replicate as well as the pavement type? But why just rear wheel noise not both wheels. This noise matter vs rear end is concerning me on my Lexus suddenly. I cant get to the dealer until family leaves this weekend.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-03-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd just keep your LS...

I also wouldn't worry about the noise until you hear it again. Could have been something stuck to the tire, or the hub or something that spun off or blew off.
Old 07-03-18, 03:13 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Thanks I am encouraged in that it seems there isnt a common issue like this others have experienced. Im going to do nothing for the time being.