LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Tire for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 05:01 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Drove a couple hundred miles on the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's
Just when I thought the LS could not get quieter...wow!

Took off the Bridgestones and replaced with these. With a 50k warranty, we'll see how they wear. I drive hwy miles and am **** about rotation and balance every 3-5k miles.
The following users liked this post:
msims2 (10-26-21)
Old 04-12-14, 05:26 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

You on 18s? If so, how is the larger 55 aspect ratio working out?
Old 04-12-14, 04:29 PM
samene
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samene
Car: 2011 LS460L with backseat upgrade.
Current Rubber: Bridgestone 235/50-18 EL42s ready to be replaced after only 25K miles (tires wearing on the inner edges, rest of the tread is fine). Also, pulling a little to the right.
Priorities: Quiet. Soft and smooth.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity or Michelin Pilot HX MXM4? 235/50-18?
No opinions on Serenity vs. Pilot HX?
Old 04-12-14, 07:15 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You couldn't pay me to put the old Turanza's on my ride. I don't know about the new serenity's, but wouldn't be surprised from past experience, that they would include hearing protection with a set.
Old 05-23-14, 04:55 PM
samene
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up putting the Pilot HX tires on my LS460L. Compared to the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 that came on the car I can say the following with certainty:
- The EL42s felt like they cornered much better. Seemed to have a stiff sidewall and virtually no float at all. The Pilot HX tires don't seem to have a handling problem but you can feel them give as you maneuver. The worn Turanza EL42s just felt wider.
- The Pilot HX tires are quieter. They don't stay quiet on grooved concrete freeways but they are quieter on pebbly asphalt, on smooth concrete and on smooth asphalt.
- The Pilot HX take a little of the jolt out of bumps that the EL42s let you feel. My LS has no air suspension so this is not a subtle difference.
- The car pulls a little to the right with both the worn EL42s and the brand new Pilot HX tires. Slightly less with the new ones.
- The floatiness of the Pilot HX tires makes turning the wheel a little easier. This reduces the sportiness of the driving experience but has a nice side-effect: the Lane Keep Assist works better because the force it exerts on steering produces more correction. With the Turanza EL42 tires it was sometimes hard to perceive the LKA working but with the Pilots it is more obvious.

...and without certainty...

- Gas mileage has been almost exactly the same. My perception is that the Pilot HX might be getting 0.5 mpg better economy but I suspect that is within my margin of error.

This has been my experience after about of a month and 8k miles ... YMMV,
Old 05-24-14, 08:27 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS460 Sport. 245/45/19.

I had Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX A1 A/S. These are a little floaty but definitely ride very smoothly. In comfort mode, you can go over the Botts' dots with minimal sensation. They last about 26-28k miles, but also seem to be pretty fragile.

I switched out to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's last week. Night and day difference in terms of handling. Everything feels like it's been bumped up a notch.

Comfort on Dunlops = Lincoln Town Car "taxi" like floatiness
Comfort on AS3 = Normal on the Dunlops
Normal on AS3 = Sport on the Dunlops
Sport on the AS3 = even firmer ride with even better handling.

There are times when the taxi-like floatiness are nice (long distance straight-line highway driving) but from a pure handling standpoint, the Michelins are a noticeable step up.
The following users liked this post:
snakehead (04-21-23)
Old 05-29-14, 01:40 PM
DaveFromDe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wearing prematurely

2010 LS AWD here in Denver Colorado.

I have the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 235/50-18 They are are a runflat (ZP) tire. I've got 15,000 miles and they are worn past the wear bars on the inside edges... anybody else experienced this?
Attached Thumbnails Best Tire for LS460-imag0297.jpg  
Old 05-29-14, 01:59 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Based on the top ratings alone, I think I am going with these to replace my Turanza's
Attached Thumbnails Best Tire for LS460-pirellip7.jpg  
Old 05-29-14, 02:26 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires for Lexus

You cannot go wrong with a top of the line michelin's. Have used them since the 80's. I do not understand why you are so **** about frequent balance and alignment of tires. If you do not drive on roads full of pot holes or bump into curbs you should not have an alignment problem. I have owned 12 Toyota and Lexus vehicles and never had to get an alignment and I never rotate my tires. On average if you figure the cost of doing this at your frequency, where is the savings? The amount you spend on this frequency will soon pay for new tires.
Old 06-02-14, 04:10 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My Lexus drives like a pick up truck !

I've put about 30,000 miles on my Michelin energy savers all season tires on my 2007 LS. I was told I would get a nice quiet ride with these tires. I'm very sensitive to noise and most especially looking for a soft ride. These Michelin energy savers ride harsh. I have plenty of tired tread left but I want to dump these for the quietest riding tires possible without regard to price, mileage, or performance. I had a 2001 LS that had a much softer ride. I am disappointed in my 07.

Aside from your recommendation for softest riding tire, does anyone think it could be a suspension problem rather than a tire problem?

Kevin
2007 LS460
2003 SC430
Old 06-03-14, 06:04 AM
Greezy
Rookie

I recently swapped my OEM Dunlop Sport Maxx's that came with the car for four new Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums. I got to say for the price of these tires I'm impressed with them. Overall they have been quiet, smooth, with solid grip. Had them on for about 5k miles so far.

Paid like $600 for them on tirerack.com, and had them shipped to a local mechanic where he charged me $20 per tire to mount and balance, so $680 plus shipping was like $700, minus a $60 rebate directly from Kumho equals about $640 total which doesn't seem that bad.

When I got in my car I knew something wasn't right so I checked the digital PSI and saw that he had put 47 PSI in each tire (recommended PSI for an LS is roughly 33)..I don't know how that happened but that's the last time I go to him. Once I lowered the pressure they were driving great.

Anyways if you aren't looking to spend $1400 on the OEM Dunlop's I think these Kumho's are a good option.
Old 06-03-14, 06:36 AM
LexFather

Pirelli P-Zero
Old 06-05-14, 01:41 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveFromDe
2010 LS AWD here in Denver Colorado.

I have the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 235/50-18 They are are a runflat (ZP) tire. I've got 15,000 miles and they are worn past the wear bars on the inside edges... anybody else experienced this?
Why on earth would you buy run-flats when you have a full size spare in the trunk? It is well know that RFTs will have poor handling, poor tread wear, and poor noise. Stay away from those RFTs. This is why I sold my BMW 750.
Old 06-05-14, 01:43 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Default Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3

Just changed factory Bridgestone Turanza at 25K miles for Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3. What a difference!

Just when I thought my Lexus could not get any quieter!

Love these new tires.
Old 06-06-14, 06:30 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Michelin primacy 3st

Originally Posted by Jamminx
I have a 2008 Ls460 Dealer is telling me I have outer bald spots on 2 tires and the other 2 are near replacement worn. I only have 17K miles and have been putting on winter tires from Nov to March since I bought the car. I asked them why they didn't notice the wear in Nov and let me drive the snows for six months with poor alignment. they had no answer.

Anyway they only carry 2 tire brand the veranza stock tires and Toyo versado lx. What do you guys suggest I do?
Michelin Primacy 3ST
Brand new tyre on the market makes zero noise and amazing grip ... Makes the oem dun lops seem like tractor tyres ... All the other michelins mentioned here are old technology . I've driven LS on all sorts of tyres and these are nothing short of amazing ..

Quick Reply: Best Tire for LS460