LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Tire for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 12:58 PM
dugoram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone ever run Goodyear EAGLE SPORT AS 50R R18 tires? Great rating on TireRack but I'm worried about the noise rough ride being a SPORT.
Old 03-11-16, 03:07 PM
DrewAudio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dugoram
Anyone ever run Goodyear EAGLE SPORT AS 50R R18 tires? Great rating on TireRack but I'm worried about the noise rough ride being a SPORT.
I'm running Good Year Eagle RS A2 in 245/45/19, the ride is fantastically soft and quiet. When I got he car it was wearing Blizzacks worn almost to wear-bars, and cupping to the inside rears. Road noise was almost unbearable, it sounded as if the bearings or hubs were failing, though I knew it was road noise and vibration.

I was between these and some DSW, though I decided to go with the lower cost Eagles and an alignment to help the pocketbook after this initial huge purchase. (600hL)

I'm very happy with the improved ride quality, with noise and smooth driving. Cornering is a little wonky at higher speeds, though it's a good compromise...I already have a track car and by no means need this to perform like one also.
Old 05-23-17, 02:51 AM
Sandu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, how many miles do you get on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus? Are these the same as Michelin Pilot HX MXM4?
Old 05-23-17, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandu
guys, how many miles do you get on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus? Are these the same as Michelin Pilot HX MXM4?
They are not the same tires, the A/S+ are a much more modern and newer tire, the Pilot HX MXM4 is a very old tire, the more modern corollary to them is the Primacy MXM4. The MXM4 is a grand touring tire while the Pilot Sport AS+ is an ultra high performance tire.

I have a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on mine, they have about 25,000 miles on them and have been excellent. Very smooth and quiet, good traction in dry and wet. They're at about 5-6/32nds now. I could certainly get another 15-20,000 miles out of them but will replace when they get to 4/32nds. If that happens before this winter I will do it then. I'll just buy another set of the same tires.
Old 05-23-17, 09:16 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewAudio
I'm running Good Year Eagle RS A2 in 245/45/19, the ride is fantastically soft and quiet. When I got he car it was wearing Blizzacks worn almost to wear-bars, and cupping to the inside rears. Road noise was almost unbearable, it sounded as if the bearings or hubs were failing, though I knew it was road noise and vibration.

I was between these and some DSW, though I decided to go with the lower cost Eagles and an alignment to help the pocketbook after this initial huge purchase. (600hL)

I'm very happy with the improved ride quality, with noise and smooth driving. Cornering is a little wonky at higher speeds, though it's a good compromise...I already have a track car and by no means need this to perform like one also.
I concur with Drew on the Goodyear Eagle RS-A2, in 245/45/19. They came with our 2013 LS and I've been very impressed by the ride quality and low road noise. I prefer these Goodyears to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ that were previously on our LS 430, and yet the Goodyears cost half as much! However, now that the Goodyears are at 5-6/32nds I am noticing more road noise. America's Tire is offering me $25 credit on each tire and I may combine that with Memorial Day sales this weekend to grab some Pirelli P7+ in 245/45/19.

The Goodyear RS-A2 is standard equipment on the Tesla Model S. I kind of expected a more premium tire for the Tesla but the Goodyears are very good for the price. Like Drew, I also noticed some occasional handling issues with the Goodyears, as if the tires had uneven grip or something. Based on when the previous owner had the Goodyears installed and the treadlife left, I expect the RS-A2 to last about 30K miles total -- Goodyear doesn't actually list a treadlife value on the tire. The Pirelli P7+ has a 70K-mile warranty, but costs twice as much. Someone might actually do better buying two sets of Goodyear RS-A2 than one set of the Pirellis. I loved the P7+ on our LS 430 and will see if I can feel a difference with them again, on the 460, compared to the Goodyears.
Old 05-25-17, 05:54 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My LS is still running on the original Brigdestone tires that came with the car. (46500 miles)
Old 05-25-17, 06:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tofu
My LS is still running on the original Brigdestone tires that came with the car. (46500 miles)
My condolences lol. Those are terrible tires, replacing them would increase your enjoyment of the LS tremendously. I kept them for 8700 miles and was sorry I didn't replace them sooner.

In all seriousness, the car is running on the original tires from 9 years ago? Just from age those tires are unsafe...
Old 05-25-17, 09:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 on their LS460's? I had them on my GS430, loved them and you can get great deals on them but they may be a little sporty/ride a little rougher for many LS owners
Old 05-25-17, 09:42 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 on their LS460's? I had them on my GS430, loved them and you can get great deals on them but they may be a little sporty/ride a little rougher for many LS owners
Have them on mine and very happy. Running 20's on mine but they ride great and are quiet. Rain traction is awesome. Even though they're one of the highest rated all season tires for snow, they were still a joke last winter. Car was garaged and drove the wife's MDX with Blizzaks.
Old 05-25-17, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by teedub21
Have them on mine and very happy. Running 20's on mine but they ride great and are quiet. Rain traction is awesome. Even though they're one of the highest rated all season tires for snow, they were still a joke last winter. Car was garaged and drove the wife's MDX with Blizzaks.
Really, they were no good in the winter? That sucks, one of the reasons I got them was for when I would be on the East Coast and having some snow driving capability, I have read mixed reviews on them in the snow, many people are very impressed but I read in Consumer Reports or Tire Rack that snow traction was not very good or any better then other high performance all seasons. Were you skidding a lot/having traction issues, were they just as bad as a average all season tire/no difference in your LS?

Maybe it is a little unfair to compare the RWD LS460 with all seasons to a MDX with the best awd system especially for snow equipped with Snow Tires though.
Old 05-25-17, 10:37 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My condolences lol. Those are terrible tires, replacing them would increase your enjoyment of the LS tremendously. I kept them for 8700 miles and was sorry I didn't replace them sooner.

In all seriousness, the car is running on the original tires from 9 years ago? Just from age those tires are unsafe...
Discount tires said they are good for 10 years LOL
The car runs smooth on hihgways
Old 05-25-17, 10:43 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Has anyone tried the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 on their LS460's?
Have the DW version of those and they're fantastic. Not much need for snow capabilities in Central Texas.
Old 05-25-17, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I thought about the DWS06, on a GS sure but wouldn't be my choice for the LS.

As for age, wouldn't drive my family around on 9 year old tires...
Old 05-25-17, 08:28 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I took a chance with Discount Tire's Yokohama YK580 on my LS and after just over a year and 11k miles, I heartily recommend them. No signs of wear yet, pretty quiet and handled last winter with no issues. They also corner well at high speeds and ride smoothly. Just another option to consider and I believe they're a bit more affordable than the Michelin and Pirelli offerings. I have 19' wheels, btw. Happy hunting..

​​​​​​https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk580
Old 05-25-17, 08:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by droclex
I took a chance with Discount Tire's Yokohama YK580 on my LS and after just over a year and 11k miles, I heartily recommend them. No signs of wear yet, pretty quiet and handled last winter with no issues. They also corner well at high speeds and ride smoothly. Just another option to consider and I believe they're a bit more affordable than the Michelin and Pirelli offerings. I have 19' wheels, btw. Happy hunting..

​​​​​​https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/yk580
Thanks for expanding the discussion, droclex. Glad you're having good experience with the YK580. I used to like Yokohamas, mostly due to them being standard equipment on the NSX. However, I remember trying the previous YK520s on the wife's ES years ago in pursuit of a more affordable tire. At the time, the YK520s cost half as much as Michelins for her car but the Yokohamas also wore down twice as fast so there wasn't really any net savings. Glad YK580s are much improved.

Quick Reply: Best Tire for LS460