LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Tire for LS460

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 09:25 AM
G2Lexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from the OEM Bridgestone's to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I have about 5,000 miles on them and couldn't be happier. Great wet and dry traction and very quiet. A little pricey but worth the money.

I bought mine and had them installed at Discount Tire.
Old 03-23-10, 12:40 PM
jimmyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pibob, Were the MICHELIN PILOT's you purchased HX MXMX or HX MXM4.
Old 03-24-10, 02:32 PM
fabt
Driver School Candidate

I was outraged when the OEM Bridgestone EL42's started going bald at only 20,000 on my '08 LS460, with all 4 needing to be replaced. The dealer wouldn't do anything for me, but, Lexus corporate in Torrance CA agreed to give me a 50% credit toward the purchase of new tires at my Lexus dealer. (I felt it unfair that a car with a sticker of $75.0 would come with such poorly warrantied tires, and Corporate agreed)

I wanted the Bridgestone Serenitys because of their 45K treadwear warranty and smooth ride, but, my Lexus dealer told me they could not get those tires from Bridgestone, as they were not authorized from Lexus to do so! I complained bitterly about this, as I had no intention of losing the 50% credit.

Eventually I had to speak to the general manager of the dealership, who, reluctantly, agreed to get the Serenitys on my behalf.

My point here is if anyone is getting substandard mileage on their OEM tires, a call to Lexus Corporate may offer some benefit.
Old 03-24-10, 05:45 PM
pibob
Rookie

Originally Posted by jimmyo
pibob, Were the MICHELIN PILOT's you purchased HX MXMX or HX MXM4.
I just checked, the tires are HX MXM4 my mistake.
Old 03-24-10, 08:22 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by fabt
I was outraged when the OEM Bridgestone EL42's started going bald at only 20,000 on my '08 LS460, with all 4 needing to be replaced. The dealer wouldn't do anything for me, but, Lexus corporate in Torrance CA agreed to give me a 50% credit toward the purchase of new tires at my Lexus dealer. (I felt it unfair that a car with a sticker of $75.0 would come with such poorly warrantied tires, and Corporate agreed)

I wanted the Bridgestone Serenitys because of their 45K treadwear warranty and smooth ride, but, my Lexus dealer told me they could not get those tires from Bridgestone, as they were not authorized from Lexus to do so! I complained bitterly about this, as I had no intention of losing the 50% credit.

Eventually I had to speak to the general manager of the dealership, who, reluctantly, agreed to get the Serenitys on my behalf.

My point here is if anyone is getting substandard mileage on their OEM tires, a call to Lexus Corporate may offer some benefit.
20K is good. I don't like it either, but a car window sticker clearly says that tires probably won't last 20,000.
Old 03-24-10, 08:36 PM
jimmyo
Driver School Candidate

Daryll, Which tires would you suggest.
Old 03-25-10, 05:35 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

I put a set of Continental something or others on my old 2007 LS460 because they had a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. I traded the car last summer for the exact same car (same colors too) with AWD...my dream car. At 7000 miles now I'll probably be looking for tires myself in 9-12 months. And will buy whatever I can get that has a long treadwear warranty. I can't feel the difference, really, between smooth this and quiet that. So maybe don't go by me. I live in Pittsburgh...the roads are steep, old, cracked and nasty. And THAT'S in the summer! So I buy tires based on how long they should last, not ride quality. Heck, I STILL can't feel the sport/comfort switch and swear it's a dummy.
Old 04-03-10, 01:20 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put on the Michelin HX MXM4 97V tires. It's hard to say they are smoother/quieter than the original Bridgestone because I'm jumping from old cupped tires to new ones. Michelins have a nicer feel over bumps (like a quick bounce) than other tires I've used.

For the record, I got 23,000 miles out of the Bridgestones. They weren't worn out yet, but they were so cupped that I thought I had a warped rotor.
Old 04-06-10, 06:39 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

P/S AS+ is really good

if you don't want to spend some $, go for Hankook Ventus V12 or V4...
they are little less on performance but they are quite, good grip and a lot less $$$.

Bridgestone is ok

Dunlop is not good. no grip at wet/slippery surface. I spun 3 times already on rainy day. I'm getting hankook or P/S when i'm done with this.
Old 04-07-10, 02:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eternal07
P/S AS+ is really good

if you don't want to spend some $, go for Hankook Ventus V12 or V4...
they are little less on performance but they are quite, good grip and a lot less $$$.

Bridgestone is ok

Dunlop is not good. no grip at wet/slippery surface. I spun 3 times already on rainy day. I'm getting hankook or P/S when i'm done with this.
Not to sure about the v12's but the v4's i have on my LS430 are noisy as hell! Although they did help a lot in the snow when i turned off my trac control sometimes, they do not ride good and give up a lot road noise imo.
Old 04-07-10, 02:48 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just came across Continental DWS tires. Slightly less performance than Michelin PS+, but longer mileage warranty, quieter and better in snow.

Anyone have any experience with these tires?
Old 04-08-10, 09:34 AM
Jamminx
Driver School Candidate

The dealership gave me a discount for the TOYO VERSADO Lux Touring tires. So far I like them. Very quiet and great handling. PAid $950 Set of 4 mounted and balanced and TPMS RESET.
Old 04-08-10, 03:25 PM
wsteiner
Driver School Candidate

Anybody try these Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum tires? 60,000 mi warranty at $150/tire (tirerack). Reviews were mostly pretty good. Seems too good to be true.
Old 04-08-10, 06:14 PM
eternal07
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Not to sure about the v12's but the v4's i have on my LS430 are noisy as hell! Although they did help a lot in the snow when i turned off my trac control sometimes, they do not ride good and give up a lot road noise imo.

really?....I had Bridgeston stock summer tires on my other 08 Is350...now I have V4 245/40R18 97W and I think it is quiter/smoother than bridgestone pot 255/40R18 95Y....btw V4 doesn't have good traction on dry surface comparing to bridgeS...

maybe I shouldn't compare with A/S vs Summer perf tires....hehehe
Old 04-14-10, 03:53 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Originally Posted by pibob
My LS 460 came with the Bridgestone tires, horrible tire. Noise and hard road feel, felt like driving with SUV tires.
I bought a set of Michelin Piolt HX MXMX in the same size. It is the difference between day and night. The ride is soft and I can not hear or feel the road through the tires anymore. Best tire I have seen on the LS460 and I have driven different cars with different tires at the dealer.
+1000 I completely agree with you. My dad has a LS460L and he had to change bridgestone turanza twice. 1st change was at 15k miles and the second at 10K .
But the second time, I told him to go with a different set of tires. I suggested Dunlop SP MAXX. They were not only cheaper by around 400$ a set, they felt lighter in a good way. Plus, their rating on tirerack is really good. Those turanza's use to make the car feel really heavy but now the car feels great.

Look, I'm not a tire 'guru' but he did consult a professional to change his tires. My dad didnt take me too seriously but when he suggested these tires to the pro, he agreed with me.
So far, he has raked in 7000miles and loves the soft ride.

BTW, the LS460L I'm talking about has a 245/45/19 size set.

Last edited by OBI_agent; 04-14-10 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Tire for LS460