LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Long time starting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 05:40 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Long time starting?

My only worry for my 04 LS 430 is that the starter will wear out. When I turn the switch to start it will sometimes start immediately, but more often it takes 4 to 5 compression strokes (1 full revolution or more) to spin on its own. I can count the compression strokes by the sound of the starter. Early on in my ownership I would let go of the switch too early but now I hold it until the Tach jumps up. My Sky and my Jaguar dont take that long to fire. Is this normal for the Lexus or do I have a problem? The car runs immaculately, smooth, good mileage, great road car. But the slow starting just bugs the hell out of me. The temps are usually 60+F, perfect environment for an engine. Maybe I expect too much?
Old 02-19-18, 06:29 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Unfortunately, it is normal. Something to do with the CPS. There's a few threads that discuss this phenomenon and the lack of remedies for it..
The following 2 users liked this post by 2KHarrier:
caesosa (03-05-21), jimisbell (02-19-18)
Old 02-19-18, 06:32 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

My 2006 LS430 starts almost instantly - certainly less than a 1 second of cranking at the longest. Not sure what could cause a longer delay (if yours is longer that that) - so a wild guess might be fuel rail pressure isn't holding up between starts, and/or the fuel pump relay maybe sticking or slow in starting up the fuel pump. Fuel pump normally would start as the key goes to on position to build up fuel pressure in the fuel rail for engine running. Try turning the key to on but not start position for a few seconds or so before moving it to start and see if you can hear the fuel pump running when the key goes to on position.
Old 02-19-18, 07:16 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

OK, I will stop worrying. But I will see if I can turn on the fuel pump and pause before instigating the stater.that may help my psychological status.
Old 02-19-18, 09:05 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it at all. It certainly was one thing to notice when I changed from my previous car the the LS 430. Previous Isuzu would start right up comparitevly.

My normal everyday starting routine is to wait until the 4th key-chime to turn the engine over (just a habit) but it makes no difference in this vehicle. Still takes a good few turn-overs for the motor to keep purring.
The following users liked this post:
PNWLS430 (03-15-21)
Old 02-19-18, 09:27 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

My 01 (now sold) started almost instantly. My current 04 is the same. I always use high octane gas. Also fuel cleaner every 5k (per Lav). Fortunately, based on replies in here, a slower start doesn't seem to be a problem,
Old 02-19-18, 09:41 PM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Denso reduction-type starter motors are pretty solid pieces of kit. Its not very often that they fail. Even in the stupid location they're in, they can still take a good amount of use. I've had more problems with the conventional-type starters failing prematurely. My 2.5L Mondeo (Contour) went through a couple of them, my partner's AE111 Levin needed a replacement one at 180,000 miles and my old AE101 Corolla 4A-GE just had one fitted at roughly the same mileage. I've also fitted a new Bosch starter to our diesel Mitsubishi Montero Sport about 9 months ago and already that's not liking life too much (although to be fair there are severe underlying issues with that truck). But I ripped out a reduction-type starter off an automatic 3S-FE with over 300,000 miles and it still had its original brushes (well, they'd just gone, hence why I pulled it). That's not to say yours will do 300k without rebuilding, but it happens. As for my 00, it usually takes a revolution or two before it fires but I've also got a monster 1000cca Optima delivering the goods
Old 02-19-18, 10:43 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Had my 04 for 11 years and just now finding out from this forum that I have had a start problem and didn't notice it! Really?!
Old 02-19-18, 11:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Had my 04 for 11 years and just now finding out from this forum that I have had a start problem and didn't notice it! Really?!
This is normal, you don't have a problem. Every 4.3 Lexus I've ever experienced does this. It's normal for the starter to cycle for a second or two. I've watched lots of youtube videos of LS430s over the years- they all do it too.

Kinda wish the starter sounded a tad more expensive and less plain-Jane, while we're at it lol.
PNWLS430 (03-15-21)
Old 02-20-18, 07:26 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is normal, you don't have a problem. Every 4.3 Lexus I've ever experienced does this. It's normal for the starter to cycle for a second or two. I've watched lots of youtube videos of LS430s over the years- they all do it too.

Kinda wish the starter sounded a tad more expensive and less plain-Jane, while we're at it lol.
Would you prefer the sound of heralding trumpets instead

but seriously though i thought my starter was beginning to die this thread makes me feel much better.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 02-20-18 at 08:49 AM.
PNWLS430 (03-15-21)
Old 02-20-18, 10:43 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

For the owners who say their car starts instantly: Do you turn the key from OFF to CRANK directly or do you turn the key from OFF to ON for a few moments first before actually cranking the starter? Makes me wonder if it makes a difference??? I'm sure that there is a certain amount of time that it takes for the ECU to wake up and get it's bearings. It may only be a fraction of a second though for that to occur.

As for mine, it generally takes a little bit of cranking before it runs. I'll have to time it sometime...
Old 02-20-18, 12:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I got used to it....when my wife and I first drove the car back in 10/16, there would be times when it didn't start the first try, because we didn't crank it long enough. My carfax shows the original owner complained about it 2X < 36k, and the fuel pump was replaced twice.

This probably explains why it seems my rear seat is not 100% secured.

confession: not that long ago I got flustered and clashed the starter, that can't happen in a modern car since a computer controls it, even if there is a key to twist. I gave myself 40 lashes with a wet noodle, that was a bush league move....
Old 02-20-18, 12:34 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gronemus
For the owners who say their car starts instantly: Do you turn the key from OFF to CRANK directly or do you turn the key from OFF to ON for a few moments first before actually cranking the starter? Makes me wonder if it makes a difference??? I'm sure that there is a certain amount of time that it takes for the ECU to wake up and get it's bearings. It may only be a fraction of a second though for that to occur.

As for mine, it generally takes a little bit of cranking before it runs. I'll have to time it sometime...
This morning I tried a 5 second delay. Didnt make a bit of difference.
Old 02-20-18, 12:38 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayclapp
No, apparently, there is no problem. BUT it does take longer to start than my Cadillac, Jaguar, Sky, Honda, so, apparently, they are doing things different in other brands.
Old 02-20-18, 05:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 184 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Would you prefer the sound of heralding trumpets instead

but seriously though i thought my starter was beginning to die this thread makes me feel much better.

Lol no, and I'm just nitpicking. The car is flawless at 14 years old and 136k. I honestly couldn't care less. It doesn't sound cheap by any means.

But have you ever heard a V8 or V12 Mercedes start? Or most V8 German cars?

But yeah, you have nothing to worry about. Like I said, every 430 I've ever experienced did it, and feel free to look at youtube videos; they all do it.

Quick Reply: Long time starting?