LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS430 - How should the engine sound from inside the car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 03:04 PM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'll be bringing the car in after work to see what the dealer has to say. Based on my covering what my problem is they say it is probably wheel bearing as they may have been aware of it but didn't feel it had to be done right away. In other words, not fix it and have to jack up the price.

There are a few issues like that on the car which I was willing to live with (side mirror not working, console loose and won't close, cup holders will not stay down, low tire tread) but this seems like the straw breaking the camels back to me at this point.
Old 08-05-13, 04:04 PM
55excl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by michaelpug
Well I'll be bringing the car in after work to see what the dealer has to say. Based on my covering what my problem is they say it is probably wheel bearing as they may have been aware of it but didn't feel it had to be done right away. In other words, not fix it and have to jack up the price.

There are a few issues like that on the car which I was willing to live with (side mirror not working, console loose and won't close, cup holders will not stay down, low tire tread) but this seems like the straw breaking the camels back to me at this point.
Sounds like tires to me I would bring it back to them and tell them fix the mirror cup holder and console and give you quite tires or take the car back and refund your money period......
Old 08-05-13, 04:14 PM
55excl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 55excl
Sounds like tires to me I would bring it back to them and tell them fix the mirror cup holder and console and give you quite tires or take the car back and refund your money period......
Quite tires like primacy mxv4's V rated.
Old 08-06-13, 06:38 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

There is a thread for fixing the side mirrors, if it's just not responding to the control pad. Removing and cleaning is the proposed solution. It did work for me on a 2001 model. Not sure if that is the problem you have with the mirror. Could be an easy fix.
Old 08-06-13, 11:49 AM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I saw that fix. Just can't figure out an easy way to pull it out short of sticking a flat edge screwdriver and prying which I don't think I should do.
Old 08-06-13, 11:57 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Michael,
Does not work that way... once you pull out the coin tray as far as it will go reach up underneath and pull on the plastic frame around the mirror control pad... should come off easily without using a screwdriver. Worked that way on the 2001 model. Take a look.
Old 08-06-13, 12:40 PM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

car is still new to me so can't recall a coin tray under my mirror control. At the shop now so will have to take a look after work when I get it back. Thanks.
Old 08-06-13, 01:15 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

left of the steering wheel, under the pad for mirrors, you have ejectable coin tray. there's a button on it. press it lightly, it'll eject. then you'll have edge to pull on. and you can easily pull out the mirror (and parking sonar) control panel.
Old 08-07-13, 08:19 AM
michaelpug
Driver School Candidate

Well it turned out to be a bad bearings on the front passenger side wheel. They replaced the whole hub and since I also mentioned some heavy vibration when breaking hard at highway speeds they also resurfaced all 4 rotors.

Big thanks to my salesmen who went the extra mile for me to make sure the fix was done (provided loaner, pushed to have them replace the bearings, had them resurface the two rear rotors when they were just going to do the front and also had them put in a new battery because I expressed a little concern).

Driving today was smooth and QUIET. So now I get to finally start to enjoy the true Lexus experience.
Old 08-07-13, 08:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelpug
Well it turned out to be a bad bearings on the front passenger side wheel. They replaced the whole hub and since I also mentioned some heavy vibration when breaking hard at highway speeds they also resurfaced all 4 rotors.

Big thanks to my salesmen who went the extra mile for me to make sure the fix was done (provided loaner, pushed to have them replace the bearings, had them resurface the two rear rotors when they were just going to do the front and also had them put in a new battery because I expressed a little concern).

Driving today was smooth and QUIET. So now I get to finally start to enjoy the true Lexus experience.
Awesome! Glad they took care of that for you.
Old 02-05-14, 09:12 AM
Cmoguer
Driver School Candidate

Adding to this thread on a related topic. I've always heard of the legendary quietness but I am trying to figure out what may be wrong with mine. Some have noted that should not hear the engine at moderate low speeds but I definitely hear it when I start it, accelerate parked or not.

I am wondering if the insulation is missing somewhere or if something doesn't fit right since I hear a good amount of noise on the outside, passing cars etc. I've had the car for seven months and noticed shortly after taking delivery but thought it was my imagination.

Surely there is something wrong. It is not wheel bearings etc since I have had that checked out plus the lack of quiet is there regardless if I am moving or not. It's not super loud but would not describe it as quiet by any means. Any obvious things to look for from experiences.

Thank you

2004 LS430
127,000 miles