LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nav help

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 02:07 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav help

I picked up my car today, it is an 04 ml ls430. It work fine and runs very smooth mechanically. Electronics work except the navi. I dont know what the problem may be. The nav does not allow me to input address or look up poi. It would say "unable to read disc, please check to see if disc is dirty or damaged." The dvd is perfectly fine. I know it is the original disc however because it was dated in 2003. I asked my friend and he said It might be the nav ecu. Hopefully it isnt due to that part being 1400 just for the part. I can still control audio, climate, etc just not the nav. The nav works because when I am driving it follows my location. I am just not able to put in an address for it to show me the way. Btw, I also tried disconnecting battery for 30 minutes and it doesn't help, symptoms still there. Anyone have experience with this? Thank you
Old 08-25-12, 04:14 PM
john339
Driver

Did you set it to your area?
Old 08-25-12, 06:04 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine would do the same thing...nav ecu was replaced. Try another disc...same problem means the nav drive
Old 08-25-12, 06:43 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by john339
Did you set it to your area?
I cant even do that because the same error pops up when i press "change" to select a different region
Old 08-25-12, 06:46 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by C8V6C
Mine would do the same thing...nav ecu was replaced. Try another disc...same problem means the nav drive
I am going to be driving home tomorrow and will pop in the nav disk from my mothers 04 rx330. If it doesnt work then it is the nav drive/ecu im guessing then. I prob wont be replacing it due to it being around a grand for a used one. I dont need the nav anyway, as long as I can still control the climate, audio etc from the screen. Hopefully it is just a bad disc, because it is still the original nav dvd. I can get another oem nav disk for 20 shipped, although its not the most current version.
Old 08-26-12, 05:53 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your nav unit's dvd drive is toast. Get a new one.
Around a grand? Are you high? About 200 off ebay.
Old 08-26-12, 05:03 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Your nav unit's dvd drive is toast. Get a new one.
Around a grand? Are you high? About 200 off ebay.
No i am not high lol. Just what i saw while browsing. And can you please link me one because the cheapest on ebay I see is 500. Nowhere near 200. Thank you
Old 08-27-12, 11:50 AM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Originally Posted by BISnTRIS
No i am not high lol. Just what i saw while browsing. And can you please link me one because the cheapest on ebay I see is 500. Nowhere near 200. Thank you
agreed saw one for $400 a few weeks ago and thats it- been looking and have not seen anywhere near $200. Can't believe there is not some kind of cheap replacement for this -
Old 08-27-12, 01:50 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
agreed saw one for $400 a few weeks ago and thats it- been looking and have not seen anywhere near $200. Can't believe there is not some kind of cheap replacement for this -
I did some research and you can possibly diy by taking apart the drive and supposedly the motor to move the lens is bad. Once replaced should be good again. Motor is 50 on ebay. The work to perform is very tedious though.
Old 08-27-12, 02:10 PM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Originally Posted by BISnTRIS
I did some research and you can possibly diy by taking apart the drive and supposedly the motor to move the lens is bad. Once replaced should be good again. Motor is 50 on ebay. The work to perform is very tedious though.
Did some more poking around and seems the motor that drives the dvd can be replaced also though finding that motor seems to be a major PIA. Of course if you have old computer equipment around you may luck out and have the same motor inan old cd drive...I just threw out a ****load of old cd rom players ...which i had for 8 years plus...UGH

Also seems a few found that the screw drive just became unseated and with some lube ad reseating were able to get theirs working- Going to pull my unit out and see if that is the issue -

Also on my unit there seems to be a few big cable connections and one is unhooked though seems imposs to come undone on its own and it does not seem like it was connected as it is not easy to even get the two ends to meet not sure if anyone else has that on theirs
Old 08-27-12, 04:47 PM
BISnTRIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KAHUNA
Did some more poking around and seems the motor that drives the dvd can be replaced also though finding that motor seems to be a major PIA. Of course if you have old computer equipment around you may luck out and have the same motor inan old cd drive...I just threw out a ****load of old cd rom players ...which i had for 8 years plus...UGH

Also seems a few found that the screw drive just became unseated and with some lube ad reseating were able to get theirs working- Going to pull my unit out and see if that is the issue -

Also on my unit there seems to be a few big cable connections and one is unhooked though seems imposs to come undone on its own and it does not seem like it was connected as it is not easy to even get the two ends to meet not sure if anyone else has that on theirs
Yeah mine is not the motor it seems. I took apart the shell and looked at the dvd run and read. Motors work fine. May possibly be one of the two computer board I know nothing about. Maybe wil have to fork out for a used nav ecu.