LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transponder Key in Trunk (2001 UL)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 09:17 PM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transponder Key in Trunk (2001 UL)

I have a 2001 LS430 UL and I locked the only transponder equipped key in the trunk. Alarm tripped during attempts to open and remote trunk opener in cabin won't open the trunk. Spare key will unlock doors but lacks transponder and will not turn over in ignition. No access to trunk through cabin because of the useless coolbox between the seats.

Spare key will not turn clockwise (or otherwise) in manual trunk opener above license plate.

I attempted fuse removal and shunted off power from the battery and no joy.

Very expensive non-functioning vehicle with no access to the trunk to fetch the transponder key.

Remote trunk opener in cabin always worked until now.

Any ideas?

Last edited by lysander6; 05-05-11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 10:59 PM
svlexus
Driver

Im taking a guess that the alarm going off makes the interior trunk release disabled (in case they busted a window and then hit trunk release) The best bet is the credit card style key (do you have it) Or else maybe a locksmith can do something? Lexus can do it but you know thats the most expensive route. It may be cheaper to get the rear seat removed and get into it that way, thats how I got in my avalon when the trunk lock broke.
Old 05-05-11, 01:44 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no way to get to it through the cabin. Ive removed the rear seats and rear deck in my 01 UL and there is no way to get into the trunk without causing damage to something. Now that I know this Im going to make sure to never do the same thing.
Old 05-05-11, 07:51 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Triggering the alarm kinda shuts the car down. You need a master key to open it back up. The key you do have is probably not cut as a master so you can't pop the trunk lock from the inside. You could have your local dealer just cut you a basic key (as a master) just to get in your trunk. If you cycle the door locks a couple of times (using a master key in the door lock), it should disarm everything. I'm assuming you have the remote built into the key. You could have them cut a key shell as a master. Then if your key shell ever breaks, you'll already have one.j
Old 05-05-11, 08:06 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Just reread your post. The key you have, try cycling that in the door a couple of times. And there should be a trunk button inside the car in front of your left knee. If that is pushed in (locked) try using that key to unlock it and open the trunk that way.
Old 05-05-11, 09:37 AM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

OR200,

Thanks for the ideas. Tried the key and door method with no joy for "normalizing" the system from alarm mode. It is also curious that the master does not fit the valet key location between remote filler and trunk buttons. Nor will the trunk lid key spot turn. Very frustrating as you can imagine.
Old 05-05-11, 12:49 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW

Try turning the key in the ignition on/off 9 times in 30 seconds.

That "might" put you in diagnosis mode. I really have no clue - just something I ran into at some point in a manual. But I'm guessing that Lexus shuts all these functions down in alarm mode.

I would have suggested trying to send a 5V signal to the trunk via the trunk switch above the ebrake - but it seems that this signal only gets translated by the trunk lock ecu which is located (you guessed it) in the trunk.

On my 2001 (not UL) I would remove the third brake light and see if I could push the insulation inside the trunk away enough to fish in a wire. The reason I suggest that area is that it is close to the edge of the trunk where the insulation starts/ends. If you can push it away far enough to snake in a wire you "might" be able to retrive your key or pull the interior safety release.

Good luck - must be frustrating.

PS - I got a master key from Sewell with just my VIN and proof of registration. i had to register it with my old key via the door open/close/tap forehead/etc./ method.

However IIRC the dealer can cancel all currently registered codes and re-register a new code via their Lexus diagnostic tool.
Old 05-05-11, 01:26 PM
Sentinel
Pole Position

I think you need a master to program a master
Old 05-05-11, 02:36 PM
lysander6
Driver School Candidate

Gents,

Thanks for all the input. After my second trip (1.5 hours one way) to the dealer, they gave me a "thinner" key and it managed to open the trunk in both the cabin and at the trunk deck. I have no explanation for the differences in keys but now I have 2x add'l non-transponder masters. They did not charge me for the second set and were very helpful. Kudos to Chris at Lexus of Tucson at the AutoMall, he saved me a lot of grief. I recommend everybody on the board ensure you have a spare and make sure it works. This was painful.

On another note, several months ago, I had a flat and discovered my key for the locking lug was stripped and unable to remove the flat. Another trip to the dealership and every locking lug nut was removed, deep-sixed and replaced with new non-locking lug nuts I ordered on the 'net.

Sometimes the over-complexification of Lexus and moreso the UL is bothersome.