Steering wheel lock ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 01:12 PM
Atl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel lock ???

Hello everyone,
This just started Saturday and happened again Monday. I put the key in, and cannot turn it to start the car. A red triangle light up, and it says check the s/t lock. After a few more tries, it magically starts like normal. On Monday, same thing, and I sawed the wheel back and forth with the key trying to unlock it and start it, and nothing. Then a few more trys with the key only and it started.

Any ideas what this is ???? I have no clue
Old 06-02-09, 01:38 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem a day after buying my car. I was a little upset thinking it was something major. After doing a search on this site I found a similar posting: You have to really crank the wheel in one direction, try to turn the ignition switch. If no luck, crank it really hard to the opposite direction, and try again.

The pin on the steering column gets stuck. For me it had something to do with the auto retracting steering column when turning off the car, and pulling myself out of the seat using the top of the steering wheel rim while the steering wheel was retracting. I stopped using the steering wheel for leverage on egress and haven't had the problem since.
Old 06-02-09, 03:46 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SerasLibre
I had the same problem a day after buying my car. I was a little upset thinking it was something major. After doing a search on this site I found a similar posting: You have to really crank the wheel in one direction, try to turn the ignition switch. If no luck, crank it really hard to the opposite direction, and try again.

The pin on the steering column gets stuck. For me it had something to do with the auto retracting steering column when turning off the car, and pulling myself out of the seat using the top of the steering wheel rim while the steering wheel was retracting. I stopped using the steering wheel for leverage on egress and haven't had the problem since.
There is also a problem if you happen to be parked on a bit of hill... If the wheel is turned the wrong direction, You will need to press the break before trying to turn the wheel. Have had that happen to me a couple of times. It's in the book.. Something that have never seen before.
Old 06-05-09, 06:43 PM
Atl
Driver

Thanks for the advice guys !!

Let's see:

Don't use the steering wheel as leverage to get out of the car, CHECK!

Don't move around in your seat, it will squeak and drive you nuts! CHECK!

Ignore the wind noise, they just built it that way, CHECK!

Don't turn on the radio, a Camry's radio sounds better (no, not ML), CHECK!

Don't use the AC seat switch, it doesn't cool, just makes a fan noise, CHECK!

Don't turn on the seat heaters either, the back part of the seat does not heat up, just the bottom (strange), CHECK!

Did I miss anything???
Old 06-08-09, 07:48 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budhah
There is also a problem if you happen to be parked on a bit of hill... If the wheel is turned the wrong direction, You will need to press the break before trying to turn the wheel. Have had that happen to me a couple of times. It's in the book.. Something that have never seen before.
No offense, but I'd like to see lexus documentation on this.

There is a TSB (Don't have the number handy) on this issue... Steering lock fault.
Old 06-08-09, 08:27 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears
No offense, but I'd like to see lexus documentation on this.

There is a TSB (Don't have the number handy) on this issue... Steering lock fault.
It's in the owners manual for my 06 LS.... Too lazy to look up the page number
Old 04-05-17, 07:18 AM
Coleyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Atl
Hello everyone,
This just started Saturday and happened again Monday. I put the key in, and cannot turn it to start the car. A red triangle light up, and it says check the s/t lock. After a few more tries, it magically starts like normal. On Monday, same thing, and I sawed the wheel back and forth with the key trying to unlock it and start it, and nothing. Then a few more trys with the key only and it started.

Any ideas what this is ???? I have no clue
Wiggle the steering wheel. That's all it took to fix this issue for me. This is a common issue for this car
Old 04-05-17, 11:00 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleyman
Wiggle the steering wheel. That's all it took to fix this issue for me. This is a common issue for this car
Yes had the same problem. Just takes a little movement.