LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Center console lid fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 08:17 AM
davidblabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Latch

Thank you guys for your insight on how to tighten the screws. Has anyone had to replace the latch? The edge on mine that catches on the base has seemingly broken off or worn off.
Attached Thumbnails Center console lid fix-latch.jpg  
Old 10-11-17, 09:15 AM
LS430Cat
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidblabs
Thank you guys for your insight on how to tighten the screws. Has anyone had to replace the latch? The edge on mine that catches on the base has seemingly broken off or worn off.
I did write up for that one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-assembly.html
Old 04-20-18, 07:02 PM
dandepries
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markwhit
So mine became loose as well. These little screws don't do a good job of keeping the hinge in place. Here are a couple of pic after I remove the console. The two plug ins are in the front.. I got in the back seat and was able to hold the console up towards the cup holder and then squeezed the plugs in to pop them loose.

Good photos! Where did you get the fitted replacement leather? I inherited my 2002 LS 430 from my dad and it has a big worn hole on top of the armrest where he used to lean on his right elbow while driving.
Old 08-04-18, 11:14 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

hello everyone thank you very much for all the support. One question from me I am having problems actually visualising where the screws need to be tightened so can anyone point them out? Even in an image while its still assembled.

want to do this soon as im frustrated with the current glove box situation.
Old 08-04-18, 07:51 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by dandepries
Good photos! Where did you get the fitted replacement leather? I inherited my 2002 LS 430 from my dad and it has a big worn hole on top of the armrest where he used to lean on his right elbow while driving.
I replaced my console lid with an OEM replacement from parts.com two years ago for $280. Just last week I had a local auto upholstery shop redo my complete driver seat (a 2004 UL with perforated leather for cooling) for $970. It is a perfect match to the OEM and existing other seats. I suggest that you try a local upholstery shop for a reupholesty of your armrest. I'm thinking it should be around $150 or so. Nothing is worse than patching a hole with something that doesn't match and looks as bad as a hole, in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
DJB04LS430 (06-22-21)
Old 08-12-18, 05:15 AM
w140amg
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed Worked Great

3 out of the 4 bolts were off and moving around.
It’s so nice to have the console work as it should.

Next fix is the electronic side view adjustment contact cleaning and the wind noise from the front windshield. Sounds like a whistle at high speeds.
Old 08-12-18, 06:34 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
hello everyone thank you very much for all the support. One question from me I am having problems actually visualising where the screws need to be tightened so can anyone point them out? Even in an image while its still assembled.

want to do this soon as im frustrated with the current glove box situation.

unfortunately, i don't think the screws are visible unless the unit is taken apart.

thank you to the original poster for doing this. i was able to take care of it. all 4 of the screws were loose in my console.
Old 11-23-18, 12:52 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got it done, 3 of 4 screws fell out and 1 was barely holding on for dear life...

Did not remove box to tighten, just had to use some ingenuity of the phillips head in a 1/4 socket and hand turn a lot of stuff, or a small extension to a ratchet worked out great for me.

Thanks for the tutorial and tips everyone!

Probably took me a total of 30 minutes (cramp covered parking) and having to go between front and rear seats to do some stuff... but overall fairly easy process.
Old 12-22-18, 01:25 PM
Scoopy
Rookie

Thanks for the guide, especially the part about having to pry the console up with some extra force, was a huge help. All 4 screws were loose and it works like new now!

Have a merry Christmas / happy new year all.
Old 12-31-18, 05:01 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Could somebody please tell me how to remove the center console arm rest air vents?
I would like to get the air vents out with the arm rest in place, not taken out of the car. (if that matters)

Last edited by DomeSL; 12-31-18 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 06:36 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DomeSL
Could somebody please tell me how to remove the center console arm rest air vents?
I would like to get the air vents out with the arm rest in place, not taken out of the car. (if that matters)

you can just pop it out. it's holding by clips.
Old 01-01-19, 02:55 AM
DomeSL
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonathanz
you can just pop it out. it's holding by clips.
Thank you.
However I tried with plastic pry bars and it only moved 3-4mm out.
With more strength it will crack.
Old 01-02-19, 03:20 PM
jrtmouse
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
My '05 had this latch issue the day I bought it 2 1/2 years ago. The leather on the armrest was pretty badly worn too. So I bought a replacement leather one on eBay - (not just some universal 'cover', but one made for our cars.) Only thing is I just had never gotten around to doing these fixes until just yesterday.

Glad I did them simultaneously, because in order to replace the leather, you've gotta complete all the steps involved in this bracket tightening tutorial.

You'll see in the pics though, that I ended up just wrapping this new one over the existing. The existing one is stapled into the plastic armrest formwork. I didn't have the proper tool to staple mine in, and I also didn't have the time (nor the clamps) to bond the new leather edges onto the plastic substrate with a Locttite or an E6000 type of adhesive. Those need about 15 minutes to set, then another 4 to 8 hours to cure. Instead I just used hot-glue to bond where the staples would have gone. I also laid an extra 1/2" of new padding to the top surface which made a WORLD of difference in the comfort level, because the old padding was next to non-existent.
Is this the same cover you bought? I need one too for my 2005. Any issues with the new cover matching the the seats given any fading that has occurred through time?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Armrest-Con...22y:rk:16:pf:0

Last edited by jrtmouse; 01-02-19 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Link
Old 04-14-19, 12:36 PM
DesertGolf
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it possible to do this without unplugging the two connections in the front of the box? I can’t figure out how to unclip them. I feel and squeeze around and nothing happens. If it’s just to remove the plastic border around the bottom side of the lid, why do you have to remove the whole box?
Old 04-14-19, 06:38 PM
DesertGolf
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally got it off. Can’t comment on whether it’s necessary to take the whole unit out but will post pics of the connections close up.

Quick Reply: Center console lid fix