ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Center console lid fix (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/335082-center-console-lid-fix.html)

sigers98 02-09-08 03:43 PM

Center console lid fix

****As one member found out, DO NOT use locktite for this fix.*****

Had the same problems on two of my cars, both LS430,here is a fix if the lid will not open, or needs a push from the back to open, or the lid feels loose
dealer remedy is replace $940.00

You need to remove the box for this repair.

Open the lid, take all your stuff out, remove the bottom pad, under this there are bolts, remove these.

With the lid open look to the rear, and you will see the air vent, this just lifts out, remove it, and you will also see more bolts, and one screw, remove these, the bolts also have captive nuts,these tend to fall out when you remove the bolts, just get some pliers, press the clips together.

The box is ready to removed ,put a cloth or towel around the shifter area, as when you remove the box, it may mark or scratch the wood, you may need to wiggle the box to get it out, but it will lift up.

Do this from the REAR seat, take a flash light with you, as when the box lifts up, there are two connectors you need to disconnect, one is the cig lighter, the other the light, so as the box starts to lift, look under, you will see the 2 plugs, take them off, there are pressure points on the clips to disconnect, once this is done the box is free to remove.

When you have removed the box, make sure you lay it down on towel, or cloth as not to mark the top, turn it on its lid, you will see a series of small screws all around the dark plastic, these have to be removed, along with the latch, as there is a screw underneath.

After this, the 2 half’s will not totally separate, but that’s ok, this is enough to work on.

Now look for the main 2 hinges to the lid,you will see its held on to the main housing with 4 golden colored bolts/screws, these are loose or have fallen out, tighten them, start to assemble in reverse order.

The whole job takes about 40 mins

thanks

rcrobbins 08-18-09 07:07 PM

Thanks to Siger98 for the posting on the loose console lid. I did the job on my 03 LS430 in under an hour. The lid now works beautifully. The problem was that two of the screws holding the hinge on the inside had fallen out. Very easy fix.

sigers98 08-19-09 01:35 PM

you are welcome, glad i could help.

skassamali 08-27-11 05:12 PM

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

GLIDESUL 08-29-11 12:23 PM

Great info mines been loose awhile ill try this fix.

zeagle 09-01-11 08:19 PM

Good directions for this but be careful of the yaw rate/ deceleration sensor under there less you trigger an DTC32 when you damage it, and she's expensive!

HouseVT 09-16-11 07:29 PM

Awesome post. Any idea what kind of screws they are? Looks like mine fell out and I don't know where they ended up.

jimbosr1 09-17-11 06:25 AM

the screws should be in the arm rest pad.there isnt any where for them to come out.

sigers98 10-01-11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by HouseVT (Post 6686894)
Awesome post. Any idea what kind of screws they are? Looks like mine fell out and I don't know where they ended up.

sorry away on vacation, did you fix the lid, the scews had to be there somewere in the lid, on mine 2 had totally fell out.

jimbosr1 10-01-11 08:16 PM

mine too had 2 screws that fell out.

TheBigL 10-11-11 06:28 AM

This fix worked perfectly. One screw out and 3 others very loose. Props to Sigers98

Jerryw74 10-15-11 08:29 PM

Great post. I had all 4 screws loose. I followed the instructions above and it worked perfectly. Excellent tip!

austinite 12-04-11 06:51 PM

Rear console armrest assembly

1 Attachment(s)
Do I need to remove console box as below or is this rear console armrest assembly as in the pic. The directions are great but if anybody had a picture it would help me a lot. Or maybe using these pics give me some pointers. I am unclear how much I am taking apart here.

Thanks in advance

gashed 12-27-11 06:16 PM

This post was very helpful. All four screws were about to fall out. Works like new now!

sigers98 12-28-11 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by austinite (Post 6862023)
Do I need to remove console box as below or is this rear console armrest assembly as in the pic. The directions are great but if anybody had a picture it would help me a lot. Or maybe using these pics give me some pointers. I am unclear how much I am taking apart here.

Thanks in advance

not sure what you are trying to fix, this thread is for the front storage box, the instructions while not perfect are fairly easy to follow, let me know what you are not sure of, i will try to help you.