LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Original battery terminals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 08:45 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Original battery terminals?

Hello,

Does anyone have a photo of original battery terminals, especially positive one?

It looks like previous owner has added a main switch of some sort on the positive battery cable and I would like to get rid of it. But before getting rid of it I would like to know how this has looked originally,

Also, FWIW I bought a new Varta 95 Ah battery two years ago and it is now toast and discharges itself also when removed and on garage floor. Car charges normally and parasitic draw is just 0.07 A. Batteries are not what they used to be.

Last edited by Finn; 02-18-16 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (12-09-22)
Old 02-18-16, 09:25 AM
djamps
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That cutoff switch you posted is an in-line switch... if that is indeed the switch used, simply remove it and hook the OEM terminal straight to the battery.
Old 02-18-16, 10:08 AM
Finn
Driver

There is no original terminal left. That cutoff switch is on the battery post and what is left of the original positive terminal/cable is connected to the cutoff switch.

Knowing how it look originally would help a great deal.
Old 02-18-16, 12:55 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you ever park the car in a garage, or have a problem where you need to quickly disconnect the battery that switch is nice to have. So far I have 2 cars I put them on.
That switch has just replaced the clamp that was on the post. I used the minus terminal so if something touches it then no sparks.
Old 02-18-16, 06:36 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

google search this!

Old 02-18-16, 11:04 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
If you ever park the car in a garage, or have a problem where you need to quickly disconnect the battery that switch is nice to have. So far I have 2 cars I put them on.
That switch has just replaced the clamp that was on the post. I used the minus terminal so if something touches it then no sparks.
I imagine that Finn is having some sort of corrosion problem or a conductivity issue due to the wrong material used for the terminal with a switch.

I have a question, dicer. What material is used for your battery terminal with a switch?
Many aftermarket those terminals are not well thought of the electrode potentials and cause Galvanic corrosions easily. I'm sure you have paid enough attentions on selecting terminals and getting good results.

The genuine terminal is well thought of the electrode potentials and it lasts longer but still there is a difference of the electrode potentials some between the lead and the terminal. So it would be better to check the connection once in a while.

Last edited by Yamae; 02-18-16 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 02:31 AM
Finn
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
google search this!

Thanks, mate!

As my new Varta battery only lasted for two years I just want to get rid of any non-original items. Besides, IIRC main cutoff switch should be on negative cable and not on positive as in my case.
Old 02-19-16, 02:53 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
I imagine that Finn is having some sort of corrosion problem or a conductivity issue due to the wrong material used for the terminal with a switch.

I have a question, dicer. What material is used for your battery terminal with a switch?
Many aftermarket those terminals are not well thought of the electrode potentials and cause Galvanic corrosions easily. I'm sure you have paid enough attentions on selecting terminals and getting good results.

The genuine terminal is well thought of the electrode potentials and it lasts longer but still there is a difference of the electrode potentials some between the lead and the terminal. So it would be better to check the connection once in a while.
You are probably correct about the materials Yamae. I'm not sure what material it is, it works there is no problems. I used a battery terminal protectant on the contact areas before installing it is sold by CRC I think. And that is what makes products from your country some of the best because of the great thought that goes into the small details. And when we buy something like these switches we really don't have control of how good or not the material is.
Old 02-19-16, 09:23 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
You are probably correct about the materials Yamae. I'm not sure what material it is, it works there is no problems. I used a battery terminal protectant on the contact areas before installing it is sold by CRC I think. And that is what makes products from your country some of the best because of the great thought that goes into the small details. And when we buy something like these switches we really don't have control of how good or not the material is.
I have those quick-disconnects on several of my cars, so of course I think they are great. I'd have them on all my cars except sometimes the geometry of fitting it in place just does not work out.

One benefit, as it relates to corrosion and safety: Often when I'm working on a car, it would be good to disconnect the battery for safety (of me and the car). With this device in place, this is a trivial step, so I am more likely to not cut a corner on safety.

Also, this thing is obviously designed to be switched on and off - it's a switch. A battery terminal is not. It's a clamp with a specific shape and size that's meant to be mounted precisely onto a bare, clean battery post, clamped with a certain torque, and perhaps coated with grease or other corrosion inhibitor. So with these, you do all that careful stuff once (or rarely), and then can do the quick on/off with the quick disconnect whenever it's needed, without having to worry about messing up that careful one-time installation.

Regarding materials, it's a battery quick-disconnect. I do have a little faith that the people who build and sell hundreds of millions of these items build them to at least kind of work with standard lead posts and copper or aluminum clamps/wires.

And yes, they are supposed to be on the negative post, but I doubt that having it on the positive one is causing the OP any problems.
Old 12-09-22, 12:20 AM
daviddarwi
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GAMA electronics disconnect switch.This makes it simple to unhook the battery for seasonal storage in my collector car. It is quite robust and beautifully crafted, and installation was a breeze.