Bi-Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 10:06 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-Xenon

Whats goin on?

I was wondering if anyone every went from just regular halogens to Bi-Xenon? Right now I have 6500K HIDs in my lowbeams, but I have been wanting to get some new bulbs because the 6500K arent quite bright enough. So Ive been looking into 4300K, then I realized I could maybe get Bi-Xenon. The only thing is I cant find any Bi-Xenon bulbs. If anyone knows where I can get some bi-xenon bulbs please let me know, otherwise I guess Ill just get some normal 4300K bulbs.
Old 11-30-06, 10:16 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

unfortuneately bixenon isnt in the bulbs, it would take quite a bit more work to get bixenons in your car. Your best bet would be to go 4300k, it should make a difference.

Also if you are using your OEM housings, I would recomend you have them cleaned (like the projector lens, from the inside, and reflector bow) as well as polishing the headlight lens. Unless you have new/really good cond. headlights, then you are pretty much at optimum for 6500k and OEM housings.

You could swap your projector lenses with clear ones, but to get bixenons you would have to take out your projector and retrofit some bixenon projectors.

ANOTHER thing you could do is get a modded ballast I think they can make them adjustable up to 75w and then go with a 50w bulb, from the results I have seen, there is quite a noticeable difference from regular OEM 35w 4300k. This would probably be the easiest route for you, if you can find the ballast and bulbs (kind of rare and can get sorta pricey) but still should be cheaper than a retrofit.

Also you could add another kit to your highbeams, that would be your closest thing to bixenon without a retrofit.

I explained bixenon a little more thorough in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251473

Good luck
Old 11-30-06, 10:24 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info man, I think I will just wait on getting anything and save my money to do a retrofit with either some 06 350Z projectors or some FX35 projectors.
Old 11-30-06, 10:28 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

sounds good, trust me the results are worth it, I havent got around to it in my GS yet, but I plan to maybe next spring (still have some maintenance to get done).

Aso and when you get the projectors, you can mod them via: washer and shield mod, so that when you put them in you get really good results, with a really nice colorful cutoff. You will have the brightness of oem 4300k but with the flicker giving off crazy color that no 6000,8000,10000k bulb can replicate.
Old 11-30-06, 10:31 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

From what I understand, Bi-Xenon is simply a motor that drops down the cutoff shield inside the projector when the high beam switch is turned on. Sounds cool, but is not necessary unless you drive on a lot of empty roads. If you really want clarity, go for the 4300k. If you are really serious about lighting, retrofit to some S2000 or TSX projectors.
Old 11-30-06, 10:38 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

LXMN makes a good point, def cant go wrong with s2K/TSX/ and ZKW projectors, you would still get very decent results after modding a 350z FX projectors, some other projectors to keep in mind are e46 ECE/Audi ECE, e55, EVO8, and TL there are more, but those are the majority of OEM that are chosen.

ONE THING TO CONSIDER is most of the best output (clear lensed) projectors are NOT bixenon like the S2K
Old 11-30-06, 11:10 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DonJuan45i
LXMN makes a good point, def cant go wrong with s2K/TSX/ and ZKW projectors, you would still get very decent results after modding a 350z FX projectors, some other projectors to keep in mind are e46 ECE/Audi ECE, e55, EVO8, and TL there are more, but those are the majority of OEM that are chosen.

ONE THING TO CONSIDER is most of the best output (clear lensed) projectors are NOT bixenon like the S2K
I had thought about going with the S2K projectors. My friend has an S2K and I love the way his lights look. The only thing is..I do drive on a lot of back roads. I live in Louisiana and alot of the roads dont have street lights which make it even harder to see things in the distance. The HIDs I have now work fine for upclose, but I cant see too far ahead, much further than when I had halogens, but Ive driven the S2K, the 350Z, the FX35 and they are much brighter than mine, prolly cuz of the 4300K. Ive been tryin to figure out what kinda HID bulb I have, I bought the Xenondepot Xtreme kit.
Old 12-11-06, 10:48 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Ive decided Im goin with the FX35 projectors for the Bi-xenon. Ive found some for pretty cheap otherwise I would wait, buy why wait?
Old 12-12-06, 01:55 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Those look like they would be difficult to retrofit. You might want to go with some E46 or E55 bi-xenon projectors.
Old 12-12-06, 02:29 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if I get em, and they turn out to be too big, Ill go sell em somewhere and either try to find some E46 or E55 projectors, or just go for some S2K projectors.
Old 12-12-06, 06:57 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Abear,

I agree with everything above and this is what I would do if I were you...

1) Clean up your headlamps A LOT. Pick up some Mother's Aluminum/Billet metal polish and use them on your headlights, the polish will take out any haze that you may have on the plastic. If you need to do this on the inside as well, then just bite the bullet and pull the housings, pull the apart the plastic and really really clean up the inside layer of the plastic housing and the half spherical lens.

2) Run 4300k HID bulbs. There is actually a 12-15% loss of visible light output from 4300k to 6000k. The reason why I say "visible light output" is because you're still putting out the same amount of light but the darker blue tinted light just doesn't show up as easily on the road as a pure white light.

3) Of course - make sure your lights are aimed properly... I know - sounds dumb and simple but just humor yourself and check. It can make a huge difference.

4) The 50w ballast idea isn't a bad idea if you can get your hands on them. I've been thinking of doing that in my car as well just for fun and since it wouldn't cost me much, I think I will give them a try in the next month or two. I'll let you know about my findings.

5) If you still can't see out there after doing the above, perhaps a 9005 HID kit in your highs??
Old 06-28-07, 05:00 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Bring this thread back, as I have found the projectors I want to use.

I never did do anything besides adjust my headlight aim, which helped.
Anyway, I moved back to Houston and no more unlit backroads, but I still want to do a retrofit. Just something I would love to learn to do.

Ok, so I work for BMW..I know, I drive a Lexus and work for BMW.
Anyway, we got some broken E92 projectors in on a body shop car(a car someone wrecked but the body shops fixin it up). The projectors are fine, what I meant was the headlight is broken. One of the tabs got ripped off, so it doesnt sit still in the housing so they were just gonna throw it out..I said hell no.
No I have a brand new E92(328 coupe) headlight sittin on the floor next to me. Its got the bi-xenon and everything. The only thing is, is that I will have to get another one, but no big rush, I just need something to play around with right now. I plan on opening it up this weekend to get the projector and everything else out so I can have a look see.
Someone told me that doing a Bi-xenon retrofit is hard, something like the bi-xenon wont stay on or something. Does anyone know about this? Either way these are the projectors Im gonna use, they look great when riding, nice wide range and ALOT of light output, at least compared to mine.
Old 07-02-07, 07:50 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Gonna give this another bump. Anyone reading this?