IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 12:35 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the thread and have a few questions regarding the Ferodo DS2500 and Project mu Type NS for street use only:
1. Ferodo pads dust less than OEM but more than Project mu NS?
2. Ferodo pads perfom better than Project mu NS in terms of bite and wear?
3. I don't plan to change the OEM rears, so which would be a better fit?
4. Are there (much) cheaper alternatives?
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-10417288-ferodo-ds2500-frp3100h-lexus-is-f-brembo-6-piston-front-brake-pads.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11676468-project-mu-type-ns-psf160-d1365-lexus-is-f-front.html

Thank you, everyone.
Old 06-11-18, 02:42 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^The Ferodo DS2500 is not in the dame class as Project Mu Type NS. The DS2500s are a dual purpose street/track pad. the NS is a street only pad. The equivalent PM pad would be the HC+800. I'm running the DS2500 in front and the HC+800 in the rear. Ferodo doesn't make a pad that will fit the rear of the ISF. I'm very happy with the combo. I bought this more for performance than less dust. Both pads do dust, but less than the OEMs. The NS would be the less dusty of the three compounds.

As far as cost, yes, there are much less costly alternatives, but you get what you pay for.

Lou
Old 06-11-18, 04:32 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input.

Do the Ferodos perform not as well for the street as the NS?
Old 06-11-18, 05:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^ I luv the Ferodo's on the street. They are aggressive with an excellent bite, great fade resistance, and no squeal. However, they will dust more than the PM Type NS.

Lou
Old 06-11-18, 05:39 PM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^ I luv the Ferodo's on the street. They are aggressive with an excellent bite, great fade resistance, and no squeal. However, they will dust more than the PM Type NS.

Lou
Thank you, again.
Another question: I've noticed a lot of posts where people have complained/noticed the NS pads don't have a good initial bite as compared to the OEMs. But, what are we talking about? Is it that bad, or is it just noticeable but acceptable?
Old 06-12-18, 07:33 AM
Somboa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^The Ferodo DS2500 is not in the dame class as Project Mu Type NS. The DS2500s are a dual purpose street/track pad. the NS is a street only pad. The equivalent PM pad would be the HC+800. I'm running the DS2500 in front and the HC+800 in the rear. Ferodo doesn't make a pad that will fit the rear of the ISF. I'm very happy with the combo. I bought this more for performance than less dust. Both pads do dust, but less than the OEMs. The NS would be the less dusty of the three compounds.

As far as cost, yes, there are much less costly alternatives, but you get what you pay for.

Lou
Hi Lou, any reason you prefer the DS2500 front over the HC+800 front? Thanks.
Old 06-12-18, 09:10 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Somboa
I'm curious to hear his answer on this as well. I need to order new pads and am very torn on what to get. I was leaning towards ordering the front and rear HC+800. My car is mostly used for street, but going forward I plan on maybe hitting up a couple track days per year.
Old 06-12-18, 11:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^SOME, not everyone, folks have reported squealing with HC+800. I've had prior positive experiences with Ferodo. Those two things influenced me to go with Ferodo. There is one other member on the forum who has followed my lead (DS2500 front, HC+800 rear) and has had positive results.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
ISFMichael (06-21-18)
Old 06-14-18, 10:46 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

We've had a ton of positive feedback on the HC+800 front and rear since we first released them. However not everyones uses and priorities are the same and for those who are keeping their driving to mostly aggressive street or are only doing one or two events per year and want as little dust as possible in the performance range (and don't want to shell out for Endless MX72) the Ferodo DS2500 front and Project Mu HC+800 rear package strikes a very nice balance of price for performance and street manners. We were doing so many orders for Ferodo fronts with the Project Mu rears that we just put a package deal together:
FERODO DS2500 FRONT & PROJECT MU HC+800 REAR LEXUS IS-F PACKAGE SPECIAL

Of course we offer it for HC+800 front and rear as well:
PROJECT MU HC+800 LEXUS IS-F FRONT & REAR PACKAGE SPECIAL

-Matt M
Old 06-14-18, 11:29 AM
sellme
Driver School Candidate

^^^
Do the Ferodo and NS pads have comparable street performance?
Old 06-14-18, 01:36 PM
tacosmashr
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sellme
I just went through the thread and have a few questions regarding the Ferodo DS2500 and Project mu Type NS for street use only:
1. Ferodo pads dust less than OEM but more than Project mu NS?
2. Ferodo pads perfom better than Project mu NS in terms of bite and wear?
3. I don't plan to change the OEM rears, so which would be a better fit?
4. Are there (much) cheaper alternatives?
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-10417288...rake-pads.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-11676468...s-f-front.html

Thank you, everyone.
Not an IS-F but I ran DS2500 with stock rear pads on my 135i which saw several Auto-x's and I actually loved the combo for that use. Eventually I'll get the Is-f to an auto-x and see if ds2500's will be going on the F.

My only complaint EVER was the first stop every morning was not the greatest, after that they were normal, but that is to be said about most perfomance brake pads.

Last edited by tacosmashr; 06-15-18 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 04:39 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sellme
^^^
Do the Ferodo and NS pads have comparable street performance?
Barring the very first stop the DS2500 will offer higher initial bite and higher average friction levels compared to Type NS. Basically once you get any heat into them they start punching well above the Type NS but that is to be expected since they are in a different category. I don't consider the DS2500 to be a particularly dusty compound, especially for the performance level, but admittedly I'm used to using track only compounds and don't swap back to street pads for street use since I'm at the track so frequently so my dust and noise tolerance are quite high. With that said the Type NS make the DS2500 look like they have no street manners whatsoever.

Brake pads are always a compromise in one area or another - it's up to you to decide what you prioritize as well as where and how much you're willing to sacrifice in the other areas. If you hate dust and aren't doing any track events then the Type NS are brilliant. If you don't mind some moderate dust output and enjoy driving the car aggressively on the street or occasionally an autox or track event then DS2500 are a great balance. If the same is true of the previous sentence but you don't really care about dust at all and want the most bang for the buck hybrid pad then the HC+800 are hard to beat.

-Matt M.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedFreaksUSA:
ISFMichael (06-21-18), tacosmashr (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 08:13 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Somboa
check post #444, I have gone from HC 800+ all around to Ferodo DS2500 front
Old 06-16-18, 02:25 PM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
Barring the very first stop the DS2500 will offer higher initial bite and higher average friction levels compared to Type NS. Basically once you get any heat into them they start punching well above the Type NS but that is to be expected since they are in a different category. I don't consider the DS2500 to be a particularly dusty compound, especially for the performance level, but admittedly I'm used to using track only compounds and don't swap back to street pads for street use since I'm at the track so frequently so my dust and noise tolerance are quite high. With that said the Type NS make the DS2500 look like they have no street manners whatsoever.

Brake pads are always a compromise in one area or another - it's up to you to decide what you prioritize as well as where and how much you're willing to sacrifice in the other areas. If you hate dust and aren't doing any track events then the Type NS are brilliant. If you don't mind some moderate dust output and enjoy driving the car aggressively on the street or occasionally an autox or track event then DS2500 are a great balance. If the same is true of the previous sentence but you don't really care about dust at all and want the most bang for the buck hybrid pad then the HC+800 are hard to beat.

-Matt M.

Thanks for the last few sentences! this really helped me make up my mind on which pads to get! I ordered the Ferodo D2500's front and PM HC+800's rear on your site!
(Also ordered today some replacement rings for my RB two piece rotor rings from Figs today too,.... ouch!). Can't wait to try out the new pads!
Thanks again!
Old 06-21-18, 10:58 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We've had a ton of positive feedback on the HC+800 front and rear since we first released them. However not everyones uses and priorities are the same and for those who are keeping their driving to mostly aggressive street or are only doing one or two events per year and want as little dust as possible in the performance range (and don't want to shell out for Endless MX72) the Ferodo DS2500 front and Project Mu HC+800 rear package strikes a very nice balance of price for performance and street manners. We were doing so many orders for Ferodo fronts with the Project Mu rears that we just put a package deal together:
FERODO DS2500 FRONT & PROJECT MU HC+800 REAR LEXUS IS-F PACKAGE SPECIAL

Of course we offer it for HC+800 front and rear as well:
PROJECT MU HC+800 LEXUS IS-F FRONT & REAR PACKAGE SPECIAL

-Matt M
Thank for the feedback, I will be ordering this set up from you today

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)