IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 07:56 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenca91
So, I probably wont need new rotors for a little longer, but I am trying to have everything ready so that I dont have to scramble to get parts when the time comes. I have been trying to shop around and look at the different rotor options, but I am not finding a whole lot. Right now, I am just running the stock rotors and project Mu ns-400 pads. I have about 15k miles on those pads so far and I absolutely love them. They never make a sound and I dont have anywhere near the dusting issues I did with the OEM pads. I plan to continue running those and I just recently ordered a new set for a pretty amazing price (thanks to Lou from ModInJapan).

I have no complaints with the stock rotors and I think they look pretty great, but I cant seem to find replacements online and I am sure that a lexus dealership would mark them up outrageously. Does anyone know the part numbers for those or where I could get my hands on them?

I am also completely open to suggestions for aftermarket rotors. I know a lot of you guys are running the figs 2-piece setup, but I wasn't really planning on spending 2grand+ on rotors. I know there is a pretty substantial weight reduction, but I am not really sure that these would be necessary for my daily driving purposes.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Highly rated seller and most of the members have bought from this seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-IS-F-0...9XOriG&vxp=mtr
Old 06-27-17, 08:12 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I'm part of most of the members and have not bought from that seller, but read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bo-rotors.html

Lou
The following users liked this post:
wrenca91 (06-28-17)
Old 06-28-17, 05:03 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I'm part of most of the members and have not bought from that seller, but read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...bo-rotors.html

Lou
Wow. I just ordered those auto zone rotors for only 340 bucks, shipped. Thats incredible. Thanks so much.
Old 06-28-17, 07:54 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wrenca91
Wow. I just ordered those auto zone rotors for only 340 bucks, shipped. Thats incredible. Thanks so much.
I just got mine from Autozone. Brembo Rotors and no issues.
Old 09-16-17, 07:32 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We have you covered on the DS2500 when you're ready to try those

-Matt M.
I am ready Matt, PM-ed you.
Old 09-20-17, 11:42 AM
Rossi
Racer

Originally Posted by Rossi
I have the HC+800 all around, just as Lance stated, I have the same experience with occasional grinding noise, the rear is somehow completely silent.
I currently have an awesome experience with the Ferodo DS2500 on my Cayenne GTS. The pad is very strong with an exceptional feel and zero noise.

So for my ISF, as soon as my front HC+800 pads are shot, I will go with the same setup Lou has. Ferodo DS2500 in the font and continue having the Project Mu HC+800 in the rear.
I find it to be the ultimate setup performance-wise without the grinding sound and I believe much easier on my 2pc rotors. BTW, the dust level on the Project mu is off the charts,
which I don't really care about as I choose performance over dust, but it is insane just so you know. On the other hand, Ferodo DS2500 are somewhat less dust than OEM to my personal surprise.
Just ordered a set of front Ferodo DS2500 from Matt, very excited as these should be the ultimate front brake pad in combination with the rear ProjectMu HC+ 800.
I will update with my personal feedback after the install. I know this pad really well from my other car, I think this is it ..... perfect balance between strong performance and drivability.

http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-10417288...rake-pads.html
Old 09-20-17, 01:06 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Just ordered a set of front Ferodo DS2500 from Matt, very excited as these should be the ultimate front brake pad in combination with the rear ProjectMu HC+ 800.
I will update with my personal feedback after the install. I know this pad really well from my other car, I think this is it ..... perfect balance between strong performance and drivability.

Thanks for the order! I'm excited to hear your feedback on these! I know Lou seems to really like them paired with the HC+800 rears so I'm hopeful you'll enjoy the balance as well.

-Matt M.
Old 09-20-17, 01:09 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^As you know, that is the combo I have been running. I'm very happy with them. Performance is phenomenal IMHO, especially when coupled with the RRRacing lower control arm bushing replacement (USRS).

Lou
Old 10-23-17, 06:42 PM
Rossi
Racer

Let me start with, I am finished looking, unless Ferodo come up with the rear set for our cars, then Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Project Mu HC800+ rear pads will be my combo for as long as I own the F. I would like to thank Matt from SpeedFreaksUSA, just the best place to get your pads from. Thank you!

I have the HC+800 all around, just as Lance stated, I have the same experience with occasional grinding noise, the rear is somehow completely silent.
I currently have an awesome experience with the Ferodo DS2500 on my Cayenne GTS. The pad is very strong with an exceptional feel and zero noise.

So for my ISF, as soon as my front HC+800 pads are shot, I will go with the same setup Lou has. Ferodo DS2500 in the font and continue having the Project Mu HC+800 in the rear.
I find it to be the ultimate setup performance-wise without the grinding sound and I believe much easier on my 2pc rotors. BTW, the dust level on the Project mu is off the charts,
which I don't really care about as I choose performance over dust, but it is insane just so you know. On the other hand, Ferodo DS2500 are somewhat less dust than OEM to my personal surprise.
I am back with my feedback about the front Ferodo DS2500 pads installed. Just as anticipated, very strong pad. Right on par with the Project MU HC+ 800 pads I removed.
IMO these Ferodo DS2500 are best pads for the money if you want top notch performance without any of the race pad non-sense, like noise, grind and dust.

Yes, very strong and still quite a workload for the stock ABS system to keep up, as it is not that hard to lock the front wheels :-) The biggest difference over the PM800s is no more grinding noise when slowing down in high speeds, no squealing when going very slow after the long drive. Pretty much no grinding or any other noise. I was advised to re-bed the Project Mu's so many times, they lasted less than 10K. Yes, Ferodo pads might be little bit pricier, but worth every penny. 60-70% less dust (no exaggeration) than Project Mu HC800 + in dust on my front wheels. They also dust less than OEM Brembo pads, just to mention as not everyone runs Project Mu HC800+.

Anyone noticed any increase front rotors wear with the ProjectMu HC+800.
I feel like the pads are really eating my 2pc RB/Figs rotors away.
Yes, the Project Mu HC 800+ did not go easy on my front rotors, the new Ferodo's are way better in this regard. Its is strange, but after 500 miles the front rotors are way smoother than before.
It is like the new pads smoothed the the rotors. I have never seen that before.

Just my two cents, high performance braking can be as much fun as accelerating. Enjoy!
mikersoft (10-24-17)
Old 10-23-17, 07:59 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^So that's at least 2 of us running the DS2500/HC800+ combo and luving it.

Lou
Old 10-24-17, 05:39 AM
Somboa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the DS2500 perform double duty street and track like the HC800+?

I'm about to get the HC800+ front and rear for double duty (2-3 track days per year) cause I'm getting lazier as I age but if the DS2500 can do the same with less bedding in issues, grinding noise and dust then I'm up for that.
Old 10-24-17, 05:47 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Let me start with, I am finished looking, unless Ferodo come up with the rear set for our cars, then Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Project Mu HC800+ rear pads will be my combo for as long as I own the F. I would like to thank Matt from SpeedFreaksUSA, just the best place to get your pads from. Thank you!

I am back with my feedback about the front Ferodo DS2500 pads installed. Just as anticipated, very strong pad. Right on par with the Project MU HC+ 800 pads I removed.
IMO these Ferodo DS2500 are best pads for the money if you want top notch performance without any of the race pad non-sense, like noise, grind and dust.

Yes, very strong and still quite a workload for the stock ABS system to keep up, as it is not that hard to lock the front wheels :-) The biggest difference over the PM800s is no more grinding noise when slowing down in high speeds, no squealing when going very slow after the long drive. Pretty much no grinding or any other noise. I was advised to re-bed the Project Mu's so many times, they lasted less than 10K. Yes, Ferodo pads might be little bit pricier, but worth every penny. 60-70% less dust (no exaggeration) than Project Mu HC800 + in dust on my front wheels. They also dust less than OEM Brembo pads, just to mention as not everyone runs Project Mu HC800+.

Yes, the Project Mu HC 800+ did not go easy on my front rotors, the new Ferodo's are way better in this regard. Its is strange, but after 500 miles the front rotors are way smoother than before.
It is like the new pads smoothed the the rotors. I have never seen that before.

Just my two cents, high performance braking can be as much fun as accelerating. Enjoy!

Thanks for the detailed write up.. I'm interested in an alternative to the HC+800 for two reasons: 1.) Less wear on my front rotors 2.) Less dust during daily driving

The HC+800 seem to be pretty brutal on my front rotors as well.. I'm using the RR Racing two-piece (disks made by Coleman, if I'm not mistaken). However, I'm concerned about the potential delta in operating temps that I see for the Ferodos vs. PMUs. Though, the specs I see on each manufacturer's website may not be an apples to apples comparison.

DS2500: Average friction coefficient of 0.42 over working temperature range of 20°-500°C
HC+800: Applicable Rotor Temperature: 0~800℃

Matt, can you help clarify the operating temps between these pads? As you may recall, I get my pads pretty hot at the track, so I want to make sure I'm not stepping down in the performance category with another pad. I'm also interested in the Endless MX72 as well. I know the Endless pads are very pricey, but they may be worth the extra $$ if I can get the same performance/longevity at the track, without all that dust on the street.. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 10-24-17, 02:16 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Mike^^^^^^^^^I've been running Endless MX72's for over 2 years now and won't run another pad as long as they're made! Ask Matt as Speed Freaks what he prefers, but he stays off the MX72 topic most of the time because nobody likes the price?

It's never made sense to me why some would cheap out on brake pads, but then they'll pony up for Michelin tires (why... because Michelins tend to be better but you pay for quality)?? To each there own but after you experience a good pad like the MX72's you won't consider anything else. Just like when I purchased my PSS's (I was skeptical on the price/performance quotient) I came to the realization that they were worth the price of admission. I will probably stay a Michelin customer for a long time even though you pay more $$ for them, I think the same formula applies to pads?

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by MileHIFcar; 10-26-17 at 02:57 PM.
mikersoft (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 02:22 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for the late reply, fellas. I took a bit of long weekend for F1 and stayed in Austin a few extra days to check out the area (it's a great place especially if you're into tacos and BBQ ) Anyway it's back to work now.

Thank you for the kind words, Ross! I am so happy to hear you're loving those DS2500 up front with the HC+800 in the rear. It really seems like they are perfect for what you want out of your pads. Between the very positive feedback from both you and Lou it sounds like the balance is just fine with the HC+800 in the rear as well. We thought it would be looking at it on paper but it's always reassuring to have that validated in the real world.

It sounds DS2500/HC+800 could be the new go-to combination for the guys who want to use their cars aggressively on the street but may not take their car to the track as frequently and/or would prefer a little more street civility without making the jump all the way to Endless.

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^So that's at least 2 of us running the DS2500/HC800+ combo and luving it.

Lou
You've been using that combination for quite a while now. How many miles have you put on them? Any feedback on the wear rates from your use?

Originally Posted by Somboa
Can the DS2500 perform double duty street and track like the HC800+?

I'm about to get the HC800+ front and rear for double duty (2-3 track days per year) cause I'm getting lazier as I age but if the DS2500 can do the same with less bedding in issues, grinding noise and dust then I'm up for that.
Yes, absolutely DS2500 can perform double duty for the majority of people but all pads are a compromise and it's about choosing where and how much you're okay with compromising. I have used the DS2500 on track just to see what would happen and they held up fairly well but I still think the HC+800 is the better of the two for track events. The biggest difference between the two is in the temperature ceiling, with the HC+800 being able to operate a fair bit hotter than the Ferodos. The drawback of most pad compounds designed to operate at such a high temp range is that they are generally more abrasive and dustier at lower temp ranges (as Ross noticed when switching). With that being said the IS-F has great brakes standard which are pretty effective at shedding heat on track relative to the car's abilities so you may be able to get away with the DS2500 on track just fine depending on the tracks you drive, your own abilities, the tires etc.

If you're only doing 2-3 events per year you may want to start off with the DS2500 since they will be a bit more street friendly than the HC+800 and that is where the car will be spending the majority of the time. If you know you're going to absolutely punish your brakes on track and don't mind the dust then the HC+800 are not a bad way to start out either.

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Thanks for the detailed write up.. I'm interested in an alternative to the HC+800 for two reasons: 1.) Less wear on my front rotors 2.) Less dust during daily driving

The HC+800 seem to be pretty brutal on my front rotors as well.. I'm using the RR Racing two-piece (disks made by Coleman, if I'm not mistaken). However, I'm concerned about the potential delta in operating temps that I see for the Ferodos vs. PMUs. Though, the specs I see on each manufacturer's website may not be an apples to apples comparison.

DS2500: Average friction coefficient of 0.42 over working temperature range of 20°-500°C
HC+800: Applicable Rotor Temperature: 0~800℃

Matt, can you help clarify the operating temps between these pads? As you may recall, I get my pads pretty hot at the track, so I want to make sure I'm not stepping down in the performance category with another pad. I'm also interested in the Endless MX72 as well. I know the Endless pads are very pricey, but they may be worth the extra $$ if I can get the same performance/longevity at the track, without all that dust on the street.. Thanks.

-Mike
You are correct that the data published between manufactures is not always apples to apples- some manufactures (I see it more commonly with the budget brands) will fudge the numbers to make it appear like they have a superior product to people who don't understand what they are looking at and simply think more is better. I hate to call out brands but one very well known bird branded company in particular is just laughable to me. Their "data" is utter nonsense aimed at people who think of brakes as one dimensionally as horsepower. Some of the higher end brands don't even bother to publish any data because they just don't want to compete or contribute to the pissing contest that is published friction coefficients. Don't get me wrong, more is better to a certain point but there are so many other factors that go into what makes a great pad compound great for it's intended application. For example how and how much it bleeds off or ramps up torque through the quick temp swing in the braking zones. Or how and how much friction changes with pressure along with temperature, especially at very high temperatures. Or even how consistent a compound remains as it heat cycles and wears down. Brake compounding is a black art and the higher end brands like Endless, PFC, Project Mu, and Ferodo just understand it better and make superior products. We carry or have access to literally every brand of brake pads known to man but we only actively market what we use and have success with.

Anyway, I digress. The data between top tier brands like PMU and Ferodo are much, much more accurate. As I mentioned above the HC+800 will fare a bit better than DS2500 for track use. HC+800 wear very well until they get too got and then the wear rates accelerate exponentially (common with many pad compounds). You've been getting great wear out of the HC+800 on track which leads me to believe you could make the DS2500 work but if I had to guess I'd say you'd burn through them a bit faster than you've been going through HC+800 since they would more than likely be at the very top or slightly above their usable temp range. Endless MX72 do have a higher temp ceiling than the DS2500, in reality I find it's fairly similar to the HC+800 based on the wear rates I've seen on my own car but the price is just the killer with those given how often you go to the track and that there are other options (albeit higher dusting) that are similar in terms of outright performance for so much less.

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Mike^^^^^^^^^I've been running Endless MX72's for over 2 years now and won't run another pad as long as they're made! Ask Matt as Speed Freaks what he prefers, but he stays off the MX72 topic most of the time because nobody likes the price?

It's never made sense to me why some would cheap out on brake pads, but then they'll pony up for Michelin tires (because they are better) but cheap out on brake pads?? To each there own but after you experience a good pad like the MX72's you won't consider anything else. Just like when I purchased my PSS's I will probably stay a Michelin customer for a long time even though you pay more $$ for them, I think the same formula applies to pads?

Just my 2 cents
I do love me some MX72s! That is my preferred pad in my E46 M3 because it's just perfect for the use it sees- a handful of track events each year but it's primarily a street car and I've become a complete brake snob and I enjoy attacking brake zones more with these pads .

The price is undoubtedly the main reason. We've tried so many times to lobby for lower prices on MX72 because they are so damn good and I know more people would switch if we could get them down to something a bit more reasonable. Unfortunately Endless remains firm on their pricing model for these specific pad shapes. In any case they remain the best all around option for pretty much everyone who can stomach the cost of admission.

I would also like to add that pretty much everyone I've ever talked to about them complains about the price at first (understandably so) yet we have the highest brand loyalty with them... I would say at least 95% of the guys who try them come back and happily re-order Endless when they need pads again and I think that speaks volumes. If it wasn't as good as the claims we'd see everyone switching back to something else.

-Matt M.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedFreaksUSA:
mikersoft (10-26-17), MileHIFcar (10-26-17)
Old 10-26-17, 04:29 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another MX72 fan here, great pads! They seem to pair well with the RR Racing Willwood rear calipers and bp20 pads too.

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)