IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-17, 12:32 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Anyone noticed any increase front rotors wear with the ProjectMu HC+800.
I feel like the pads are really eating my 2pc RB/Figs rotors away.
Old 04-27-17, 04:02 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
I didn't notice any increased wear on my OEM rotors after using them for 5 or 6 track days plus daily driving last spring & summer. In fact, IIRC they were still more than 27.5 mm thick when I replaced them.. I only replaced them because of the excessive cracking. It's too early to tell with my RR Racing 2pc rotors.. I only used them for a couple months (including a few track days) before swapping to NS400 pads for winter. I'll try remember to measure them when I put the HC+800 pads back on next month.

-Mike
Old 04-27-17, 04:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Yes. This is why bedding correctly is critical. Without the transfer layer on the rotor, the metal comes off quickly.
Old 06-21-17, 03:14 PM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes. This is why bedding correctly is critical. Without the transfer layer on the rotor, the metal comes off quickly.
lobuxracer - it sounds like you speak highly of the HC+800. What are your thoughts on the noise level of these pads? Do they squeal any? I currently have the Winmax W2 and while I think they are a decent street pad, they are starting to make a lot if noise. I've had them for about 2 years and have worn them down about 70% (wear indicators are not touching the rotors). Since I put them on, they were quite as can be, but now they are making all kinds of noise!
Old 06-21-17, 04:06 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lobuxracer,
question for you. If my rotors are still good but replacing pads. Do we still perform the bedding process?
Old 06-21-17, 05:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by semnosNSX
lobuxracer - it sounds like you speak highly of the HC+800. What are your thoughts on the noise level of these pads? Do they squeal any?
I have them on the back with Ferodo DS2500s in front. I have no noise.

Originally Posted by ISFCOBRA
Lobuxracer,
question for you. If my rotors are still good but replacing pads. Do we still perform the bedding process?
Yes, You want to transfer pad material for the pads you are running to the rotor.

Lou
Old 06-21-17, 05:38 PM
ISFCOBRA
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
I have them on the back with Ferodo DS2500s in front. I have no noise.

Yes, You want to transfer pad material for the pads you are running to the rotor.

Lou

thank you Lou.
Old 06-21-17, 06:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

lobuxracer - it sounds like you speak highly of the HC+800. What are your thoughts on the noise level of these pads? Do they squeal any? I currently have the Winmax W2 and while I think they are a decent street pad, they are starting to make a lot if noise. I've had them for about 2 years and have worn them down about 70% (wear indicators are not touching the rotors). Since I put them on, they were quite as can be, but now they are making all kinds of noise!
if noise bothers you, the HC+800 isn't likely a good choice. They occasionally make a grinding noise that sounds really ugly at low speeds. It's when the transfer layer is wearing off. I like the feel so much, I won't change them but I also won't say they are noise free unless you are really diligent with the bedding process and don't mind repeating it a few times over the life of the pads.
Old 06-22-17, 09:16 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

if noise bothers you, the HC+800 isn't likely a good choice. They occasionally make a grinding noise that sounds really ugly at low speeds. It's when the transfer layer is wearing off. I like the feel so much, I won't change them but I also won't say they are noise free unless you are really diligent with the bedding process and don't mind repeating it a few times over the life of the pads.
thank you, Lance! I don't mind great performing brakes that make a lot of noise on my NSX because it's just a fun weekend car. However, I daily drive my ISF so loud brake noise does bother me in this car. In your opinion, which pad gives the best performance with the least amount of noise? I don't care so much about dust because I wash my car at least once a week. Thanks!
Old 06-23-17, 10:02 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the HC+800 all around, just as Lance stated, I have the same experience with occasional grinding noise, the rear is somehow completely silent.
I currently have an awesome experience with the Ferodo DS2500 on my Cayenne GTS. The pad is very strong with an exceptional feel and zero noise.

So for my ISF, as soon as my front HC+800 pads are shot, I will go with the same setup Lou has. Ferodo DS2500 in the font and continue having the Project Mu HC+800 in the rear.
I find it to be the ultimate setup performance-wise without the grinding sound and I believe much easier on my 2pc rotors. BTW, the dust level on the Project mu is off the charts,
which I don't really care about as I choose performance over dust, but it is insane just so you know. On the other hand, Ferodo DS2500 are somewhat less dust than OEM to my personal surprise.
Old 06-23-17, 10:55 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the HC+800 all around, just as Lance stated, I have the same experience with occasional grinding noise, the rear is somehow completely silent.
I currently have an awesome experience with the Ferodo DS2500 on my Cayenne GTS. The pad is very strong with an exceptional feel and zero noise.

So for my ISF, as soon as my front HC+800 pads are shot, I will go with the same setup Lou has. Ferodo DS2500 in the font and continue having the Project Mu HC+800 in the rear.
I find it to be the ultimate setup performance-wise without the grinding sound and I believe much easier on my 2pc rotors. BTW, the dust level on the Project mu is off the charts,
which I don't really care about as I choose performance over dust, but it is insane just so you know. On the other hand, Ferodo DS2500 are somewhat less dust than OEM to my personal surprise.
We have you covered on the DS2500 when you're ready to try those

-Matt M.
Old 06-23-17, 11:43 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We have you covered on the DS2500 when you're ready to try those

-Matt M.
Hi Matt, can you pm me your best price for the DS2500 fronts and HC+800 rears for my 08 ISF?
Thanks!!
Old 06-23-17, 11:44 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Hi Rossi, thanks for the insight...I appreciate it!
Old 06-23-17, 07:10 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Matt, can you pm me your best price for the DS2500 fronts and HC+800 rears for my 08 ISF?
Thanks!!

same here please
Old 06-27-17, 05:17 AM
wrenca91
Driver School Candidate

So, I probably wont need new rotors for a little longer, but I am trying to have everything ready so that I dont have to scramble to get parts when the time comes. I have been trying to shop around and look at the different rotor options, but I am not finding a whole lot. Right now, I am just running the stock rotors and project Mu ns-400 pads. I have about 15k miles on those pads so far and I absolutely love them. They never make a sound and I dont have anywhere near the dusting issues I did with the OEM pads. I plan to continue running those and I just recently ordered a new set for a pretty amazing price (thanks to Lou from ModInJapan).

I have no complaints with the stock rotors and I think they look pretty great, but I cant seem to find replacements online and I am sure that a lexus dealership would mark them up outrageously. Does anyone know the part numbers for those or where I could get my hands on them?

I am also completely open to suggestions for aftermarket rotors. I know a lot of you guys are running the figs 2-piece setup, but I wasn't really planning on spending 2grand+ on rotors. I know there is a pretty substantial weight reduction, but I am not really sure that these would be necessary for my daily driving purposes.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
ModInJapan (06-27-17)

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)