IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Old 03-05-19, 04:47 PM
rem0rse
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In terms of a street pad which offers quite low dusting are there any particular recommendations? No track use.
Old 03-11-19, 11:49 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rem0rse
In terms of a street pad which offers quite low dusting are there any particular recommendations? No track use.
We have done quite a bit with Project Mu Type NS (what was previously NS400). This latest batch is a slight reformulation that emits a bit more dust than the original compound but it's still a very quiet and low dusting compound, but also gives higher friction levels than the stock pads and the original formulation.

We also have Carbotech 1521 compound which is extremely low dusting (slightly less than the Project Mu Type NS) but does not produce as much friction as the Project Mu pads.

-Matt M.
Old 03-11-19, 11:56 AM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How do the Project Mu PS pads compare to the NS and the Carbotech 1521?
Old 03-11-19, 12:27 PM
rem0rse
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We have done quite a bit with Project Mu Type NS (what was previously NS400). This latest batch is a slight reformulation that emits a bit more dust than the original compound but it's still a very quiet and low dusting compound, but also gives higher friction levels than the stock pads and the original formulation.

We also have Carbotech 1521 compound which is extremely low dusting (slightly less than the Project Mu Type NS) but does not produce as much friction as the Project Mu pads.

-Matt M.
Thanks for the reply Mike, could you shoot me a DM for a quote for the Carbotech 1521 and Project Mu Type NS.
Old 03-11-19, 05:00 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sleepstate
How do the Project Mu PS pads compare to the NS and the Carbotech 1521?
Type PS are the replacement for the B-force and sit in the performance category above the Type NS and Carbotech 1521. A bit more friction but a lot more dust than either Type NS or 1521. The reason we haven't been pushing the Type PS or the old B-force much is because, in my opinion, it sits in an awkward place in the spectrum- if you want ultra low dust and noise it's not the best way to go and if you're willing to sacrifice on the dust output for higher friction then just go straight to HC+800, Ferodo DS2500 or Endless MX72 because they all punch much harder than the Type PS across the board for not much much more dust output (except Endless which is actually a bit lower on the dust output, all else equal).

Originally Posted by rem0rse
Thanks for the reply Mike, could you shoot me a DM for a quote for the Carbotech 1521 and Project Mu Type NS.
PM sent!
Old 03-12-19, 12:37 PM
sleepstate
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info on the PS, good to hear. Other vendors are pushing the PS as "best of both worlds" with lower dust and higher friction than NS, probably for sales.
Old 03-15-19, 09:22 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sleepstate
Thanks for the info on the PS, good to hear. Other vendors are pushing the PS as "best of both worlds" with lower dust and higher friction than NS, probably for sales.
It's a bit higher friction but most certainly not lower dust than Type NS.

-Matt M.
Old 03-22-19, 07:21 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys,
Has anyone used Powerstop Rotors or Evolution pads? Rockauto has them on sale right now for $150, just wondering if they are a good alternative or not worth the savings?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824
Old 03-22-19, 10:38 AM
PatrickISF
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
Hey Guys,
Has anyone used Powerstop Rotors or Evolution pads? Rockauto has them on sale right now for $150, just wondering if they are a good alternative or not worth the savings?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824
That is a pretty crazy price for the whole package, especially since it comes with the pins and brackets for the brake caliper. The pads are ceramic so low dusting/noise but they aren't going to be on par with metallic pads as far as stopping power. Never used Powerstop rotors so can't give you any feedback on that.
Old 03-24-19, 06:11 PM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First time doing a brake job. Took me longer then expected as i took my time and the rears were a little more tricky getting the rotor off. I went with R1concepts geomet rotors and duralast gold ceramic pads.

I bedded them in using the 60-10 braking method.

They are super quiet and brake very well. Initial bite from oem isnt there but they do bite great for a dd. I have no regrets and love seeing no brake dust.

I have the r1 geomets on my jeep and the hubs still have no signs of rust and i live in nj where they salt the roads like crazy so thats why i went with them on my F. Under $440 im very happy with this setup.

My stock pads have alot of meat left on them if anyone is interested. Gonna post them soon.
Old 03-24-19, 08:22 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Odd I'm not finding an application on R1concepts webpage?
Old 03-24-19, 09:17 PM
NjzFinest
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IS-F application

Make sure to contact kevin if your looking. Hes a vender on here and on isf fb pages. He gives great discounts!! Alot of good feedback from other car forums as well. Iv had great experiences with r1 and their rotors

Originally Posted by ultimase
Odd I'm not finding an application on R1concepts webpage?
Old 11-08-19, 03:09 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone know the difference between these two OEM Brake Pad part numbers, (04465-53040) vs (04465-0W120). The former says its 2008 ISF compatible and it cost only $52.52.
Old 11-08-19, 09:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^The first one is NOT for an ISF.

Lou
Old 03-12-20, 08:42 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi
Let me start with, I am finished looking, unless Ferodo come up with the rear set for our cars, then Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Project Mu HC800+ rear pads will be my combo for as long as I own the F. I would like to thank Matt from SpeedFreaksUSA, just the best place to get your pads from. Thank you!

I am back with my feedback about the front Ferodo DS2500 pads installed. Just as anticipated, very strong pad. Right on par with the Project MU HC+ 800 pads I removed.
IMO these Ferodo DS2500 are best pads for the money if you want top notch performance without any of the race pad non-sense, like noise, grind and dust.

Yes, very strong and still quite a workload for the stock ABS system to keep up, as it is not that hard to lock the front wheels :-) The biggest difference over the PM800s is no more grinding noise when slowing down in high speeds, no squealing when going very slow after the long drive. Pretty much no grinding or any other noise. I was advised to re-bed the Project Mu's so many times, they lasted less than 10K. Yes, Ferodo pads might be little bit pricier, but worth every penny. 60-70% less dust (no exaggeration) than Project Mu HC800 + in dust on my front wheels. They also dust less than OEM Brembo pads, just to mention as not everyone runs Project Mu HC800+.

Yes, the Project Mu HC 800+ did not go easy on my front rotors, the new Ferodo's are way better in this regard. Its is strange, but after 500 miles the front rotors are way smoother than before.
It is like the new pads smoothed the the rotors. I have never seen that before.

Just my two cents, high performance braking can be as much fun as accelerating. Enjoy!
Adding my 2 cents as well... The HC 800's bite like hell, but ate through my expensive AF 2-piece RB rotor rings in no time flat - I got 30k and a track session on the pads, but only a very easy 15k on the rotors, and not a single track session! Think I might go back to stock Brembo rotors, since I've a spare set of front pads waiting on me, and $600 for another new set of 2-piece rings doesn't sit well with me right now. If anybody wants a set of RB hats and hardware for a front 2-piece set up, PM me a reasonable offer!

Edit: Autozone has their 20% off sale going again, apparently for Covid-19 "relief" #smh... Use code RELIEF to get 20% off and free shipping to your door. My total for new Brembo front rotors came to $227.18...

Last edited by Leander311; 03-12-20 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Update
The following 2 users liked this post by Leander311:
lobuxracer (03-12-20), MileHIFcar (03-12-20)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)