LexFather

BTW, the V-8 vs I-6 in the IS 300/430, was only 2 lbs heavier
Old 05-27-05, 12:02 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BTW, the V-8 vs I-6 in the IS 300/430, was only 2 lbs heavier
Unless the dude ripped a bunch of crap out during the engine conversion (like, rear seats, A/C, insulation), I find that hard to believe. A V8 weighs more than 2 lbs more than an I6, even, I believe, if it were partly aluminum...
Old 05-27-05, 12:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

It would be nice to see Lexus go ***** OUT but it won't happen. That is what other car makers do. Hell even in America, we don't get the M3 CSL, the ***** OUT M3. We dont' get the NSX-R.
Interestingly enough while I keep hearing NSX owners saying they want the NSX-R brought to the US, I bet very few people will actuallu buy them. The NSX-R really is only good for the track. That car is all that it is because of its weight reduction primerily. We already can get the full NA2 NSX-R suspension through various NSX vendors here in the states, we can already get the NSX-R specific gearing. so pretty much the rest comes from the weight reduction and aside from the great carbon fiber and suede seats, nobody will drive around with no radio, and even AC I think is an option. What they should have done was bring in more Zanardi like Coupes. The Zanardi is the same Type-S version in Japan, but with the Zanardi you only can get it in red and they only made 10 of them 1 which went to Alex Zanardi himself.
Old 05-27-05, 12:14 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Unless the dude ripped a bunch of crap out during the engine conversion (like, rear seats, A/C, insulation), I find that hard to believe. A V8 weighs more than 2 lbs more than an I6, even, I believe, if it were partly aluminum...
I'm not sure about only 2 lbs, but the Lexus/Toyota I6 was pretty heavy since it was cast iron. I highly doubt the V8 uses titanium crankshafts and such, so while I know it is lighter, 2 lbs is hard to believe. To tell you the truth, if we are talking about the Rod Millen IS430, I'm not sure what they took out. It is possible they didn't use the AC. Also, I'm not sure when the weighed cars as the rims were different after the conversion if I recall. Maybe over all they only gained 2 lbs after it was all said and done.
Old 06-15-05, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I'm not sure about only 2 lbs, but the Lexus/Toyota I6 was pretty heavy since it was cast iron. I highly doubt the V8 uses titanium crankshafts and such, so while I know it is lighter, 2 lbs is hard to believe. To tell you the truth, if we are talking about the Rod Millen IS430, I'm not sure what they took out. It is possible they didn't use the AC. Also, I'm not sure when the weighed cars as the rims were different after the conversion if I recall. Maybe over all they only gained 2 lbs after it was all said and done.
Dude, its 2 lbs heavier according the the weight taken engine for engine. The 2JZ is so strong b/c its overbuilt for turbos. The V-8 is aluminum, much lighter.

Did we have this pic?
Old 06-15-05, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

about the engine weight, just take my words for it, that the i6 and the v8 are virtually the same weight. the i6 is cast iron and the v8 is aluminum block
Old 06-15-05, 03:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Interestingly enough while I keep hearing NSX owners saying they want the NSX-R brought to the US, I bet very few people will actuallu buy them. The NSX-R really is only good for the track. That car is all that it is because of its weight reduction primerily. We already can get the full NA2 NSX-R suspension through various NSX vendors here in the states, we can already get the NSX-R specific gearing. so pretty much the rest comes from the weight reduction and aside from the great carbon fiber and suede seats, nobody will drive around with no radio, and even AC I think is an option. What they should have done was bring in more Zanardi like Coupes. The Zanardi is the same Type-S version in Japan, but with the Zanardi you only can get it in red and they only made 10 of them 1 which went to Alex Zanardi himself.
Good points
Old 06-16-05, 06:57 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll trade in my S-class and two LSes if the IS460 has a full manual transmission. 5-sp or 6-sp, I don't care, although a 6-sp is preferred. It has to be a manual in the hand, not some sissy manumatic button pressing like the GS. And the handling has to be like the current IS or better. The current IS is underpowered, but due to its small size and weight, it is nimble. The V8 must be equally nimble. I have waited 12 long years for a Lexus V8 mated to a manual, and if this happens to be the first one, I'll be first in line.
Old 06-16-05, 08:05 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

IS460 with 6MT . . . sigh . . .
Old 06-16-05, 01:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ychachad
I'll trade in my S-class and two LSes if the IS460 has a full manual transmission. 5-sp or 6-sp, I don't care, although a 6-sp is preferred. It has to be a manual in the hand, not some sissy manumatic button pressing like the GS. And the handling has to be like the current IS or better. The current IS is underpowered, but due to its small size and weight, it is nimble. The V8 must be equally nimble. I have waited 12 long years for a Lexus V8 mated to a manual, and if this happens to be the first one, I'll be first in line.
so not even smg, which is a true manual tranny but computer controlled clutch?
Old 06-16-05, 02:17 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
That would be second best, but I still want to feel like I'm in control of everything & not the computer.
I still haven't driven a SMG yet, may be I will change my mind after I have & accept it as equally desirable.
Old 06-16-05, 09:16 PM
iatacs19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dream on brother!
Old 06-16-05, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
That would be second best, but I still want to feel like I'm in control of everything & not the computer.
I still haven't driven a SMG yet, may be I will change my mind after I have & accept it as equally desirable.
dont' get me wrong, i would want a 6 speed full stick over smg any day too. i can care less about that extra 0.5 second at the track
Old 06-17-05, 07:36 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, only a stick in the hand and a clutch pedal under the left foot will suffice.

Originally Posted by rominl
Old 06-25-05, 08:52 PM
DallasLex
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default move over BMW M3! Here comes IS460

It will be impossible to resist comparisons. I could just see the MotorTrend article: "Battle of the Continents" M3 VS IS460!