IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New IS500 report from...Bangkok!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 03:30 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New IS500 report from...Bangkok!?

18" wheels front/19" wheels rear. 8-speed automatic transmission (first reported elsewhere for the next LS). True? BS? Your call.

Thanks to k3vo @ my.is for the find.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/Motoring/...05_motor51.php

GAStronomy

An artist impression of the Lexus IS500.

Despite rising fuel prices, high-performance petrol engines are here to stay _ to satisfy car enthusiasts with big pockets and to build on brand image for the car companies themselves.

Engines with large capacities coming in normally aspirated forms are becoming the norm again in luxury cars like junior executive cars, aka premium mid-sized saloons with sub-B10m pricetags.

As driven in Motoring two weeks ago, the C-class now ditches the supercharged V6-powered C32 AMG range-topper in favour of a naturally brewed V8-propelled C55 developing over 360hp.

In Europe earlier this year, Audi unleashed the mad RS4 eschewing turbochargers in favour of a high-revving V8 displacing 4.2 litres and generating 420hp.

The RS4 is not being considered for Thailand yet. Unlike the C55 that comes with a five-speed automatic gearbox, the RS4 only has six-speed manual shift. That's only if you don't mind dipping the clutch.

In 2007, BMW is gearing up for the M3 replacement. Since the current E46's inline-six engine has been stretched to its limits, a new V8 is being planned for the top-line E90.

The powerhouse is said to be a chopped-down version of the high-tech 5.0-litre V10 used in the M5. In the E90, displacement should be around 4.0 litres with power rated over 400hp.

Boosting its sales prospects in Thailand, where buyers usually prefer to leave their left foot idle, is the seven-speed SMG automated manual.

In the same year, Lexus _ for the first time _ is preparing an answer for its German bantamweights. After launching the IS220d diesel and IS250/IS350 petrol V6s, the Japanese grapevine suggests an IS500 crowning the range.

The IS500 is set to get a 5.0-litre V8 that will first be seen in the all-new LS replacement (LS500) next year.

In order to make the V8 potentially rapid in the IS, Lexus is said to be adding a bespoke eight-speed automatic transmission. To handle the 400hp-plus performance, the IS500 will get sporty tyres including 245/35 R18 up front and 265/30 R19 at the rear.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-18-05 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 04:22 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd love to see an IS with a spoiler...looks great!
Old 08-18-05, 05:16 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
. . . In the same year, Lexus _ for the first time _ is preparing an answer for its German bantamweights. After launching the IS220d diesel and IS250/IS350 petrol V6s, the Japanese grapevine suggests an IS500 crowning the range.

The IS500 is set to get a 5.0-litre V8 that will first be seen in the all-new LS replacement (LS500) next year.
Why do some of these mags.report a LS500 next year( & a possible IS500) when more than one "unofficial " sources of people associated with Lexus had posted here in the past , as well as other reports, that it's going to be a LS460 ???
Old 08-18-05, 06:09 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Cool idea in theory. I highly doubt it will happen soon if at all. I am sure Lexus is cooking up a high-performance IS(460, 500, 600h...etc) because of the great responses they got from the IS430 project. It will be great to boost the brand and an awesome contender. I just don't think any of these speculating magazines/newspapers know much of what they are talking about. I am sure we at CL know more than them.

Either way, 400HP + IS sounds neat.

Very slick!
Old 08-18-05, 08:23 PM
Tha99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Boosting its sales prospects in Thailand, where buyers usually prefer to leave their left foot idle, is the seven-speed SMG automated manual."

How come ??????????? I thought Thai people loved sticky shift ?????

um....maybe they're getting lazy.

Oh, if I go back to Thailand, I'll drive 150 mph !!! I am so bored living in USA ( too scared of driving fast, hehehe)
Old 08-25-05, 11:46 AM
LSs1Power
Driver School Candidate

I just hope they dont enforce the VDIM or whatever they call it on the IS500 if it came out.
Old 08-25-05, 11:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Yes, what's the point of building such a car if you won't allow your buyer to go all-out with it without electronic intervention ? And it's total B.S. when Lexus corp people say that their emphasis on safety won't allow them to consider putting a VDIM off switch on their cars. The fact that it can be turned off doesn't mean the car isn't safe, it's just a choice they can give customers if they want some hardcore fun with the car. Having choices is a luxury too for a luxury brand.
Old 08-25-05, 12:24 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I hope they dont build it its too extreme just build an IS350 with a sixspeed stick and upgraded suapension and once you change the front end styling ill buy one.
Old 08-25-05, 12:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

This is like saying in the next 10 years, the next 5th generation LS1000 is going to have a 16 speed transmission.

I really doubt credible information will come out of Bangkok for a Japanese car manufacturer.
Old 08-25-05, 05:03 PM
LSs1Power
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Yes, what's the point of building such a car if you won't allow your buyer to go all-out with it without electronic intervention ? And it's total B.S. when Lexus corp people say that their emphasis on safety won't allow them to consider putting a VDIM off switch on their cars. The fact that it can be turned off doesn't mean the car isn't safe, it's just a choice they can give customers if they want some hardcore fun with the car. Having choices is a luxury too for a luxury brand.
I totally agree.... This is the only reason im thinking about getting a G or M instead of IS or GS. Nothing like the smoothness of Lexus though which is a shame that they have this VDIM system. I mean its good for people who dont know how to drive, but the only thing they neeed is a big OFF button, thats all. Can you imagine a Turbo Charged new IS or GS.... It wont even allow u to use all that power with all the new gizmos.
Old 08-25-05, 05:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You guys need to drive it to see how VDIM is on the new IS350. Until then, don't judge it unless you've tried it. VDIM is not some power restricter or a big giant TRAC ON only mechanism. FYI there is still a TRAC OFF button available.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-25-05 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 05:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
You guys need to drive it to see how VDIM is on the new IS350. Until then, don't judge it unless you've tried it.
No kidding. But I sometimes wonder about the people on this board who complain about VDIM. Have they, in actuality, driven the GS hard enough and found themselves saying, "Geez, I wish the VDIM system wasn't so obstrusive."

Most likely, they're just echoing the unfavorable comments made by various publications.
Old 08-25-05, 05:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
No kidding. But I sometimes wonder about the people on this board who complain about VDIM. Have they, in actuality, driven the GS hard enough and found themselves saying, "Geez, I wish the VDIM system wasn't so obstrusive."

Most likely, they're just echoing the unfavorable comments made by various publications.
Exactly. You really need to push the car hard for the VDIM system to activate. Plus it's a combination of safety features that work together i.e. ABS, EBD, TRAC, VSC and etc. If Lexus didn't want to give the customer the option, there would be no such thing as these buttons below:

Old 08-25-05, 05:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by INHOCJP

I have posted numerous times here & in the GS forum that the VDIM is a wonderful safety feature for 95 % + of drivers in real world driving. Sure it won't be obtrusive if you never drive it hard enough.
But if they're making a IS460/500, it's will be a specialty car & they are marketing it as a high performance SPORTS sedan & to enhance the sporting image of the IS model right ? Which means you also have to appeal to the hardcore enthusiast right ? You can't do that if you don't even allow them to push it to the limit when they choose to take it to the track. Otherwise, why would they want to pay the extra $$ to buy it over a regular IS350 ? You won't want a M3 with a VDIM like nanny that cannot be turned off for some fun on the track would you ?
Old 08-25-05, 09:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by AmethySC
You won't want a M3 with a VDIM like nanny that cannot be turned off for some fun on the track would you ?
Andrew, drive it first before you make assumptions.

Quick Reply: New IS500 report from...Bangkok!?