IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Brake fluid replacement - vacuum method?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 07:32 PM
bob123
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Brake fluid replacement - vacuum method?

Time is approaching for my 60K maintenance service which also includes brake fluid replacement.
Has anyone used the vacuum bleed method with a Mityvac MITMV8500 or equivalent?
Two concerns I have is the service manual only states the two person pedal method and also does not state which wheel to start at.
I have seen others use the pressure bleed method by applying air to the reservoir. I like that the vacuum bleed equipment can remove the old fluid from the reservoir without a mess and the fluid replacement process appears much faster.
Any feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by bob123; 09-06-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 08:00 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It's real easy. I did it with one from Harbor Freight.
Start with the wheel farthest from the brake fluid reservoir and end with the one closest, emptying the reservoir of the old fluid as much as possible and putting in fresh.
Old 09-05-18, 09:22 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the manual said replace brake fluid every 30k. Does that mean replace just the reservoir fluid or entirely flush the system? My car is at 45k and brake fluid still looks clear to me.
Old 09-05-18, 09:35 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The truth is, it's really not the miles that you put on the car, but rather the length of time the brake fluid was in use.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. The brake fluid actually sucks moisture from the air that it is exposed to.
Once the brake fluid gets saturated with too much water, then it can introduce rust into the hydraulic system, and cause issues.

You can do the every 30k mile brake fluid replacement....that certainly is not a bad interval, but you can test the existing brake fluid with something like this:

Amazon Amazon

And if it tests good, then skip the fluid change for a year and re-check.

To answer your original question, I have used the mityvac tool, and I didn't think it was all that.
I prefer to use, and do use, the Motive Products Power Bleeder. Much easier.
Old 09-05-18, 10:32 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Every two years is a good interval. As mentioned, old fluid absorbs moisture and can eat away from the brake system from the inside. I suspect that would take over a decade for you to start noticing any effect though. The real reason to replace fluid is the process of bleeding air out.

Note to properly bleed air out of the *entire* system, you need to initialize the system using a computer. That's the 100% proper way to do it. BMW uses a similar computer-initialized system as well. I suspect most modern cars do, if not all.
Old 09-06-18, 09:53 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

What I did was "over fill" the master cylinder, leave it's lid open, and then just open the nipple without anybody on the brakes. Just have your little bottle apparatus and tubing in a manner where the brake fluid has to go vertically up before looping down into your bottle. I just had to make sure the master cylinder stayed full. it takes a little longer, but definitely doable as a 1 man job. Just gotta have enough brake fluid and make sure you dont let the master cylinder go empty, otherwise you'll have to do everything all over again. It gravity bled like that for me.
I just kept bleeding until it came clear. i forget the diameter tubing i bought, but i just got regular clear tubing from the hardware store, i think it's the same for aquariums too.
Old 09-06-18, 10:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsx
What I did was "over fill" the master cylinder, leave it's lid open, and then just open the nipple without anybody on the brakes. Just have your little bottle apparatus and tubing in a manner where the brake fluid has to go vertically up before looping down into your bottle. I just had to make sure the master cylinder stayed full. it takes a little longer, but definitely doable as a 1 man job. Just gotta have enough brake fluid and make sure you dont let the master cylinder go empty, otherwise you'll have to do everything all over again. It gravity bled like that for me.
I just kept bleeding until it came clear. i forget the diameter tubing i bought, but i just got regular clear tubing from the hardware store, i think it's the same for aquariums too.

yeah I used to know a master mechanic with a huge shop (did all euro cars, guy was from europe himself) he used to gravity bleed all the time but he did say it takes forever. perfect to do while he's working on other cars. lol.

i've used the motiv pressure bleeder in the past too. gives it a little kick in the pants to speed things up
Old 09-06-18, 03:56 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I used the motiv speed bleeder and made a tool to help me bleed it and attach it to the master cylinder. Here you go.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/860529-brake-flush-with-motive-power-bleeder.html#post9906785
Old 09-06-18, 05:34 PM
bob123
Driver

With the Motive power bleeder, it looks hard to reach inside for a thorough cleaning. Does anyone have any issues with cleaning the power bleeder after use?
Old 09-06-18, 06:21 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

The top unscrews and I just wash it with soap and water and put it away when I am done. With the top unscrewed so it can dry out and is ready to go next time.
Old 09-07-18, 07:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

yeah it's just a big mayonnaise jar basically. you wash it out.
Old 09-12-18, 06:46 PM
bob123
Driver

After reading the application guide on Powermotive site, the 0101 bleeder (with 1101 universal adapter) will work for Toyota/Lexus if there is space above the reservoir and as long the ABS unit is not below the master cylinder on some Toyota models.
Some reviews of the 1101 adapter had issues with sealing, but I like the ideal of one customer who used ratchet clamps on both sides of the reservoir for extra downward pressure to ensure a good seal.
So I guess I'm going with the pressure method on my first brake fluid exchange. Will report results.

Last edited by bob123; 09-12-18 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 06:41 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
I used the motiv speed bleeder and made a tool to help me bleed it and attach it to the master cylinder. Here you go.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9906785
That's quite a bit of work.

I went with the Capri vacuum. This way, I don't have to shell out for various types of adapters, and no fussing with bad seals.
Old 02-23-21, 03:11 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Wanna know, is it necessary to remove wheels when accessing the bleeder nut when the vehicle is jacked up?
Old 02-23-21, 04:03 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

It's not worth your time to try and do it with the wheel on. It's only 5 nuts... buzz them off before going to work.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid replacement - vacuum method?