IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Replacing OEM Tires Is A Really Big Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 04:46 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing OEM Tires Is A Really Big Difference?

So I've heard many people say that the OEM tires on the IS350 is not all that great, but is replacing it with the Michelin Pilot Sport would really make that big of a difference? Would I be able to feel the differences when I do the replacement with Michelin Pilot Sport tires after my OEM tires are wear out?
Old 08-27-14, 05:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yes, stock tires are junk
Old 08-27-14, 07:22 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm debating using the current tires on the AWD as snow tires and then putting summer tires on the rest of the year. It's the freak Utah snow storms in the fall and spring that give me pause though. I would have to park it and have my Tacoma pick me up.
Old 08-27-14, 07:40 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember that the stock Bridgestones on my '08 IS250 were very loud by 15k miles and the treadwear wasn't impressive.... I replaced them with Hankook Ventus V12 Evos and liked those tires a lot better for half the price of a new set of Bridgestones. I don't know if the '14 cars have the same tire but I definitely won't be replacing them with OEM once they are spent.
Old 08-27-14, 07:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if youre not going to track, the PSS will be kind of a waste, you can get other good performing tires that are cheaper.
Old 08-27-14, 07:56 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if youre not going to track, the PSS will be kind of a waste, you can get other good performing tires that are cheaper.
I probably would never go on the track, but sometimes I love to turn fast around corners and just drive fast to enjoy the car in sport + mode. So I wouldn't see much of a difference unless I go on the track? I remember one time I went to wash my car and afterwards the car felt a whole lot lighter including when steering. My 2 passengers in the car also notice the differences right away. I was surprise to see the magic of cleaning the car from overall dust and especially the brake dusts I believe were the reason. I wonder if I would have the same feeling if not similar if I swap the OEM tires with PSS.
Old 08-27-14, 12:04 PM
unowned
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan to run Bridgestone RE-11s again as soon as these wear out. I used them on my Evo X that I had previously. I could have bought cheaper tires that have similar dry grip capabilities, but I wanted the better noise reduction and wet traction.
Old 08-27-14, 12:15 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends which stock tires your car came with, I got mine with Dunlop maxx TT tires and they're wonderful in all aspects just like Michelin PSS.
Old 08-27-14, 12:19 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
I probably would never go on the track, but sometimes I love to turn fast around corners and just drive fast to enjoy the car in sport + mode. So I wouldn't see much of a difference unless I go on the track? I remember one time I went to wash my car and afterwards the car felt a whole lot lighter including when steering. My 2 passengers in the car also notice the differences right away. I was surprise to see the magic of cleaning the car from overall dust and especially the brake dusts I believe were the reason. I wonder if I would have the same feeling if not similar if I swap the OEM tires with PSS.
There is Pilot Super Sport (utra high performance summer tires) and Pilot Sport A/S 3. I think for us who don't track cars Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the right set of tires to go with. They are quieter, better tread wear warranty, and they are all season meaning you can use all year around.
Old 08-28-14, 12:04 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Disagree. I've got Pilot Super Sports on my Mustang GT and they're superb in the role of a non-tracked, daily driver. Tremendous grip, the ride is good, and they're great in the rain. They also wear well. As soon as I burn down the Bridgestones, they're going on my IS 350. Not very cheap--I spent $305/tire at Tire Rack, but definitely worth it.
Old 08-28-14, 10:51 AM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Replacing the factory tires on just about any car can be the best upgrade one can do.

The Pilot Super Sport is not a track tire. It is a performance summer tire designed for street use. As a summer tire for the street, it is an absolute fantastic tire. I think the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position is right behind it as an alternative.

The Michelin Sport A/S3, I call a fantastic 3 season tire. The A/S3 is built on the Pilot Super Sport carcass, but with an all season tread design and compound. It will last longer than the Pilot Super Sport and yes, can be used in cold temps, meaning below 45deg. I call it a great 3 season tire because it does not perform in snow.

Links to the tires:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3