IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 12:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Vaistech iVic 6D Android/iPod - 6th gen navi install hints!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 10:12 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech iVic 6D Android/iPod - 6th gen navi install hints!

So, a few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge and order the iVic from Vaistech.

I did the install myself which has taken a bit of time. I assisted CCJJ22 on his 5th gen install which was admittedly easier than the 6th gen that I have.

I am posting this because I hope to provide tips to any DIY'ers installing the unit.

My car specs are the following:

2010 IS-F, Navi+Mark Levinson. I believe the 2010 IS* shares similar/identical audio/video components, so I think my observations are relative to other IS models as well.

I ordered the IVIC 6D with the iPod cable*, camera input cable, and auxiliary a/v input. Please see my note below regarding the iPod cable AND USB functionality.

There are a few pages in the vaistech document that I found to be a little confusing, and I have made my own edits to them and am posting here. The comments I have added are NOT endorsed by vaistech in any way, but are my attempt at helping everyone make their install go as smoothly as possible.

With the 5th generation unit (Ivic 5, and 5th gen navi (<2010 IS)) the connections only need to be made to the back of the headunit. For the iVic 6 and 6th gen Navi (>=2010 IS), the connections need to be made both under the glove compartment AND behind the navi unit. This is not a big deal, just a difference which I was not anticipating having only installed the 5th gen.

What to expect:

The IVIC will REPLACE your factory USB connection. By replace I mean the USB connection in the glove box will be rendered useless. You will instead need to use the USB input on the iVIC. This is just for the sake of clarification.

If you are simply looking to add Android control, but keep your Ipod/Iphone connection - you can order the ivic without the IPOD cable. My understanding is the IPOD cable only adds video capability. I am still able to connect my iPOD touch to the USB port on the IVIC and it functions the same as it did with the factory USB interface.

An item worth noting is that should you choose the IPOD video cable route, you will receive a cable which connects to the IVIC's proprietary video port, but ALSO to the USB port. This means you cannot easily plug in a USB MP3/whatever device if you choose to use the cable. This is not a big deal, but I wanted to add it for the sake of clarity.

Right now I am going to post my two "notes" that I feel are useful if you are doing an install on an IS. This applies only to my IS-F, but I feel it will also be applicable to any 250/350 with ML+Navi.

Page 7 from the manual, with my changes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35795746@N04/8092839399/
Page 9, with my changes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35795746@N04/8092839341/
I hope these help some people out and minimize any confusion during the install. The rest of the installation manual is pretty well explained.

* I will add more comments later, just wanted to throw this up here while I had the chance

Last edited by oztiks; 10-15-12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 09:17 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude I cannot get my vaistech unit to show up on the ENTIRE screen of the nav display. There is always 10-15% of the bottom of the nav screen that stays black...
So it's like I have a 6.8" screen rather then the full 7".
It's annoying.

I also can't get the bluetooth to work with the in-car mic... You?
Old 10-16-12, 12:04 PM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Bluetooth was never supposed to work with the in car mic. To use bluetooth phone you have to use the factory nav hands free interface. You will need to get a secondary mic of some sort for use with your phone. This has been one of the reason I have delayed getting this unit yet while I still figure out an easy solution for this problem.
Old 10-16-12, 12:51 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WReuroR
Bluetooth was never supposed to work with the in car mic. To use bluetooth phone you have to use the factory nav hands free interface. You will need to get a secondary mic of some sort for use with your phone. This has been one of the reason I have delayed getting this unit yet while I still figure out an easy solution for this problem.
I disagree... I've been told countless times that the vaistech should be integrated with the in car microphone and speakers... Yet when I make a call it is ONLY coming through the phone speaker and phone mic which sucks
I'm beginning to think it's my phone

*Update* Ok you're right. Just spoke with Vaistech on this.

Last edited by CCJ22; 10-16-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 12:58 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I disagree... I've been told countless times that the vaistech should be integrated with the in car microphone and speakers... Yet when I make a call it is ONLY coming through the phone speaker and phone mic which sucks
I'm beginning to think it's my phone

*Update* Ok you're right. Just spoke with Vaistech on this.
I'm a little confused - I tested/verified this with my phone a few days ago but forgot to post the results. The scenario is this:

Your phone MUST be paired with AND connected both the iVIC and your factory bluetooth telephony. Verify this by going into your bluetooth settings and seeing where the phone is connected to (should be iVIC XX:XX and "(WHATEVERYOURLEXUSBLUETOOTHNAMEIS).

When MY phone (Droid 4) is connected like this, all works as expected. When the phone goes off hook (dialing, ringing, talking, etc) it "forces" the factory BT in the car to take over. Audio comes through the speaker(s) as expected and the car's interior mic is used for the outgoing part.

What are you all experiencing? I can envision some manufacturers (phone) implementing the bluetooth stack differently to where you audio might be getting routed via the HDMI or something equally bizarre?
Old 10-19-12, 04:28 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

^ You're right. I played around and this is what mine is doing as well. Ignore my previous post
Old 10-22-12, 05:07 AM
epicshoote
Driver School Candidate

Default 5D unit

I saw this thread and also wanted to post some helpful info. I have a 2007 IS350 and the 5D iVIC installed. Mine was installed professionally, however I had to get mine replaced due to some sort of issue. The issue was related to a black screen if I connected my phone after the car was started rather than before. I did the replacement and reprogram myself. Which by the way was really really easy- if you can follow instructions it is easy as 5 minutes. Running cables and taking everything apart I am not a fan of so if you do not mind doing that then do it yourself- this thing is almost idiot proof.
I have a Droid Bionic (updated to ICS last Friday). The iVIC itself works awesome. My phone on the other hand has given me issues. I am going to try a factory reset today and see if it helps but the real issue is that I plug in the HDMI and it either takes a while to mirror or the connection on the phone is loose and causes some issues on the screen. The iVIC works perfectly and when I am not re-booting my phone I love it!
Someone asked if there is black space at the bottom- yes. This is not the iVIC it is your phone- mine does the same thing. It has to do with screen ratio output. The screen is not a perfect 16:9 ratio (widescreen) and that is what the phone expects to see so it just gives you wide screen view.
I use the USB connection for a USB key and this works flawlessly. Just make sure you do not have sub directories in your folders and it will work fine. Anyone who is thinking about this functionality- get it- there is no question that it is awesome to use and also fun to play with to make the experience awesome.
I use mine primarily for music (BTW the sound quality is amazing)
Nav
Audio books- using the audible app widget (also awesome)
email and texts- not while moving or have passenger read to me or vlingo
sitting still waiting- Netflix or local movies.

The good- everything you expect is there- and with the upgrade to ICS you also get steering wheel controls inside the music apps! With Gingerbread this was not the case but on Friday I finally got in app control! Now if the phone would just stabilize I would be good.

The Bad- Phone is picky and sensititve- also having to connect to 2 BT devices so you can use the phone can cause issues with phones as well.
Old 10-22-12, 11:25 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work. Have any pics or video of install?
Old 10-25-12, 06:00 AM
epicshoote
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes

Originally Posted by istarzan
Nice work. Have any pics or video of install?
I actually have several but no idea how to post them to a forum- they are gigantic and HD.
Old 02-16-13, 01:40 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Right now I am retracting any recommendation for the iVic 6d if you intend on using it for ipod functionality as well.

As mentioned, the iVic gets rid of your factory USB interface and replaces it with one of its own. Unfortunately, in my car, a 2010 IS F w/ Levinson/Navi, the iPod functionality is completely unusable. Vaistech have informed me that this is Lexus' fault and need to update my factory navigation/headunit, but do not have any additional information for me to provide to the dealer. The dealer has no awareness of the update. I realize this is not Vaistech's fault, but they need to work on providing a solution (eg, a case/TSB/etc number I can give the dealer to reference).

Again, if you intend on using the iVic 6D + IPOD on a 2010 model IS, the functionality is almost completely broken. I will update this thread if there are any developments.
Old 02-19-13, 08:13 AM
NAK
Rookie

Originally Posted by oztiks
Right now I am retracting any recommendation for the iVic 6d if you intend on using it for ipod functionality as well.

As mentioned, the iVic gets rid of your factory USB interface and replaces it with one of its own. Unfortunately, in my car, a 2010 IS F w/ Levinson/Navi, the iPod functionality is completely unusable. Vaistech have informed me that this is Lexus' fault and need to update my factory navigation/headunit, but do not have any additional information for me to provide to the dealer. The dealer has no awareness of the update. I realize this is not Vaistech's fault, but they need to work on providing a solution (eg, a case/TSB/etc number I can give the dealer to reference).

Again, if you intend on using the iVic 6D + IPOD on a 2010 model IS, the functionality is almost completely broken. I will update this thread if there are any developments.
Do more research online.

L-SB-0039-09 Rev2: '10-'12 Applicable Lexus Models: Navigation System Firmware Improvement
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ing-fixed.html
and another one
L-SB-0147-11 Rev1: '10-'13 Applicable Lexus Models: Navigation System Firmware Improvement
Old 02-19-13, 10:26 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the assistance. Could do without the attitude, though. I guess i'll tell the dealers to "do more research online" next time as well.
Old 01-12-14, 09:31 PM
mandipcarz
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-05-14, 01:19 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oztiks,

I installed the ivic, but I cannot get it to display on the nav screen.
Any tricks to getting the ivic to display.

I programmed it into mode 1 based on their list.
If i unplug the video cable from the ivic I will lose the nav screen video so it seems everything is correct.
I lost my OEM usb port (which was expected), but the ivic does not show up as a usb music device on my OEM radio.

I tried to switch "Audio off" and "Audio On" but that did not work either.

Can you let me know what worked for you to get the ivic to show up on your screen?
Old 10-05-14, 10:11 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

What year/model are you? Have you tried contacting vaistech for assistance? (I don't mind trying to help, but its been forever since I did my install!)

The fact that you aren't even seeing the USB tab makes me think your harness isn't properly connected, though. Is the tab for USB GONE or just greyed out so you can't select it?

Quick Reply: Vaistech iVic 6D Android/iPod - 6th gen navi install hints!