IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weapon in Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-12, 08:03 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weapon in Lexus

Okay so I know this is probably going to be a very very limited response thread, but figured I would try.

Right now I am looking at having a holster installed in my car so for the long drives I can keep my weapon in reach but not attached to my side. It digs into the seat and sometimes into my hip and it sucks.

Has anyone done a custom type holster mount? I am thinking of putting it on the side of the center column by my leg (drivers side). I would like to do a carbon fiber one but wouldn't know where to go to get a custom mold done so I am thinking I am just going to have to take an existing holster and mount it in the car.

I thought about in the center column but that does not allow for easy access. For storing in the car I already have a locking cable that I wrap around the seat so it cannot be moved. Use this if I need to leave the weapon in the car.
Old 08-21-12, 08:26 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a hard question simply because where you can place your gun is gonna be very dependant of your state laws. I know Texas is extremely liberal on guns, but at least here in Florida your gun cannot be easily accessible. There must be a 2step process. Something must be in the way between you and the firearm, for example unlocking the glove box or unsnapping the holster strap. An illegal example would be to have it under your seat, where all you have to do is reach for it. Personally I keep my glock in the glove box or in a strappped holster between my seat and the center stack.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 08-21-12 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 08:43 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

CCJ---forgot his whole screen name has a holster in his car, next to shift console (passenger side I believe). He's active, hell prolly chime in
Old 08-21-12, 08:53 PM
La24
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I don't think you can have your gun out like that. I believe it has to be in a case in the glove box legally in Texas or your trunk. What kind of hand gun do you have?
Old 08-21-12, 08:54 PM
melIS350
Rookie

I was thinking the same about having a secret compartment built on the side of the center console. But then again it is illegal here in CA where law abiding citizens are restricted to protecting ourselves and loved ones while these youngsters go around shooting each other and innocent bystanders for the dumbest reasons. I'll be following your thread to see ideas. Real talk, id rather be caught with it than caught without one.
Old 08-21-12, 10:30 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CCJ22 from FL. PM him
Old 08-21-12, 10:36 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It's probably pretty easy to install it by the gear shift where the carpet meets the plastic (it's actually not attached, so you can wedge things through there once you lift the shift plate).
Old 08-22-12, 05:50 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mine right between my seat n the center piece right in front of the seatbelt in the holder or out of it doesn't matter...a cop actually saw mine there when he pulled me over and laughed and said he should try that in his personal car bec its easy to reach....

However this is Florida and I have a conceal permit, once you have a permit you don't need to do a 2 step rule....just aim and fire.
Old 08-22-12, 05:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

For those wondering, you are legally allowed to keep a holstered firearm in your vehicle in many states with CCW laws if you have a valid permit, and in some states regardless.
Old 08-22-12, 06:29 AM
LaVaism
Pole Position

My bad I probably should have put that in the orginal post, I have my concealed handgun permit so it is legal for me to carry and keep it concealed. I have a G30 (compact glock 45) so it is fairly small.

I was looking at getting a BlackHawk serpa holster and attactching it to the center console. I'll start looking this weekend for parts and once I get something done I'll post pictures.

Each state has different laws, so please make sure you check your laws!!!!
Old 08-22-12, 06:39 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Canadian here....................my face is like :O
Old 08-22-12, 06:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In texas specifically you can carry concealed without a permit if it's in your vehicle (or you are on your way to or from the vehicle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ceable_Journey
Old 08-22-12, 07:22 AM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
In texas specifically you can carry concealed without a permit if it's in your vehicle (or you are on your way to or from the vehicle)

This was meant for traveling, so if you are traveling then the weapon must be concealed. This is a big grey area here because people that don't have the permit can just say I am traveling. Always best to just have the permit.

The other rule is it must be concealed, so the special holster I am looking to build into the car has to make sure the weapon is concealed as well. (this should be fairly easy to do.
Old 08-22-12, 07:31 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
I have mine right between my seat n the center piece right in front of the seatbelt in the holder or out of it doesn't matter...a cop actually saw mine there when he pulled me over and laughed and said he should try that in his personal car bec its easy to reach....

However this is Florida and I have a conceal permit, once you have a permit you don't need to do a 2 step rule....just aim and fire.
Ryan the cop who pulled you over is an idiot, you CANNOT have your gun unholstered or lacking a 2step process even if you have a CCW. Dont know where that info came from but just giving you the heads up, next cop who pulls you over might know his laws a little better.

Actually you can have a gun holstered or in your glovebox WITHOUT a CCW.

I studied gun laws for a longgggg time.

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Statue states a vehicle is an extension of your home, wether you are traveling or not. People use the "traveling" excuse because they heard it works and dont know any better. Truth be told you could be going to home depot, and you can still have your weapon in the glove box or a strapped holster in your car.

Also, I always hear people saying the clip must be seperate from the gun, the gun must be in the glove box and the clip in the trunk, you "must" have a CCW and so on. NONE of that is true. Your gun can have the clip in it and even +1 (one in the chamber) so as long as there is a 2step process involved.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 08-22-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 08:03 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd stick a holster under the steering column.

Quick Reply: Weapon in Lexus