Weapon in Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 08:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Canadian here....................my face is like :O
Me too.. but you have to be proactive in states that are more liberal when it comes to guns. It's a good last resort option.. me, I'd have to pop the trunk and use the tire iron if I really needed a weapon (thankfully I haven't had to yet, hopefully I never will)
Old 08-22-12, 08:25 AM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Canadian here....................my face is like :O
^^^ same way his face is^^^
Old 08-22-12, 08:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LaVaism
This was meant for traveling, so if you are traveling then the weapon must be concealed. This is a big grey area here because people that don't have the permit can just say I am traveling. Always best to just have the permit.

The other rule is it must be concealed, so the special holster I am looking to build into the car has to make sure the weapon is concealed as well. (this should be fairly easy to do.
The point of the revised law signed a few years ago was to avoid that grey area- if you're in your car you are now assumed to be traveling, no need to prove it.

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Statue states a vehicle is an extension of your home, wether you are traveling or not. People use the "traveling" excuse because they heard it works and dont know any better. Truth be told you could be going to home depot, and you can still have your weapon in the glove box or a strapped holster in your car.
No, in the case of texas travelling was a specific term in the law inplying you were going to be away from home for a while, for which people were being arrested because they weren't neccesarily meeting the definition of it.

That's why a couple years ago they had to pass another law to clarify that you are assumed to be traveling- it was nothing to do with a car being an "extension of your home"

Originally Posted by Vroomin350

Also, I always hear people saying the clip must be seperate from the gun, the gun must be in the glove box and the clip in the trunk, you "must" have a CCW and so on. NONE of that is true. Your gun can have the clip in it and even +1 (one in the chamber) so as long as there is a 2step process involved.
It's a magazine, not a clip

And again it'll vary by state law... in north carolina for example you can carry a gun openly on your front seat, without a conceal carry permit. As in, right there where you can reach it, no "2 step" process involved.

In fact- putting it in an unlocked glove box rather than openly on the seat, that would be illegal without a permit- because conceal carry isn't allowed without a permit, including in your car.

But carrying it openly in easy reach is legal without a permit.
Old 08-22-12, 08:53 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz

No, in the case of texas travelling was a specific term in the law inplying you were going to be away from home for a while, for which people were being arrested because they weren't neccesarily meeting the definition of it.

That's why a couple years ago they had to pass another law to clarify that you are assumed to be traveling- it was nothing to do with a car being an "extension of your home"

tell me how they figure out how long youve been traveling

It's a magazine, not a clip

And again it'll vary by state law... in north carolina for example you can carry a gun openly on your front seat, without a conceal carry permit. As in, right there where you can reach it, no "2 step" process involved.

In fact- putting it in an unlocked glove box rather than openly on the seat, that would be illegal without a permit- because conceal carry isn't allowed without a permit, including in your car.

But carrying it openly in easy reach is legal without a permit.

LOL you meant what I know kurtz

Truth be told you know most people call it a clip but yes, the magazine

I was referring to florida law only, like I said in my OP, it will all be very dependant of your state and sometimes even county laws. In Ohio your gun MUST be locked in the trunk, no excuses. Here in florida it is illegal to have it in easy reach wether you have a permit or you dont.

Matter of fact, it is perfectly legal for someone to have a LOADED gun in their car so as long as it is "securely encased" even without a CCW.

Florida statue 790.001

Last edited by Vroomin350; 08-22-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 08:59 AM
Bodz123
Rookie

Chiming in from AZ. First, gotta love the fact that anyone who is not a felon in AZ can conceal carry without a permit (I still have my CCW though). This is still the wild west! Second, why in the world would you want to mount, tape or drill a holster to the interior of you car? That just seems so permanent... I keep mine in the center console when Im in the car and on myself when Im not. Just as easy access in the center console as mounted next to it. Just my .02
Old 08-22-12, 09:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

my XD subcompact 9 with a crossbreed holster fits perfectly in the door compartment of my IS. Ill take a pic of it later
Old 08-22-12, 09:28 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a G19 which is larger than most practical carry weapons, if I dont put it next to me between the seat and center stack it fits perfectly in the lower shelf of my glove box. I simply moved the owners manual to the top shelf.
Old 08-22-12, 10:17 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm from Texas. Guns come standard with most truck purchases. If no gun, at least the gun rack.

Only time i ever carried a a loaded gun (besides to a range) was driving to Cali and back since we were near the border often with modded cars. Other than that, luckily the areas I stay in Houston dont leave me nervous about my protection.
Old 08-22-12, 10:46 AM
Kahdoe
Driver School Candidate

Here is how one of my buddies mounted theirs (not in a Lexus) just a pic to give a visual.
Attached Thumbnails Weapon in Lexus-img_0967.jpg  
Old 08-22-12, 12:13 PM
SatxIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by La24
Yeah, I don't think you can have your gun out like that. I believe it has to be in a case in the glove box legally in Texas or your trunk. What kind of hand gun do you have?
In Texas you can have a magazine loaded in and it cannot be in plain view. This is with a CHL or not. Obviously if you violate the lauternberg amendment or a felon probably not the smartest idea...but to play it safe in the event you do get pulled over probably should let the cop know before he gets close enough to the vehicle, that you have a weapon. It will probably save you a lot of heartache if you have it out like that. But best bet find out your states weapon law and concealing it in a vehicle.
Old 08-22-12, 12:41 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

@Kahdoe I like that idea! Thank you for the picture. I don't know how that would react in the event of a car accident.

I would have to modify a bit to comply with TX code.

Does the IS350 have knee airbags?
Old 08-22-12, 12:54 PM
Kahdoe
Driver School Candidate

@Kahdoe I like that idea! Thank you for the picture. I don't know how that would react in the event of a car accident.

Im not to sure about the airbag placements. That setup my buddy has is supposely legal in the state of California. So he says
Old 08-22-12, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

yes
Old 08-22-12, 01:05 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

I just lay my daily carry in the passenger seat.
Old 08-22-12, 01:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by La24
Yeah, I don't think you can have your gun out like that. I believe it has to be in a case in the glove box legally in Texas or your trunk. What kind of hand gun do you have?
you can carry a loaded gun in the car in Texas as long as its concealed and youre not a felon. You can do this even without a CHL. Glove box meets the concealment requirement but it doesnt have to be in a case.

Quick Reply: Weapon in Lexus