Weapon in Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 06:17 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope.

It's a "pistol".

To make it an SBR, I would have to put a stock on it, and register it for 200 bucks.
Old 08-23-12, 06:32 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
^ is this considered an SBR?
Yoan, text me. You have lived here in FL much longer then me. I am worried I have my piece mounted illegally in my car.
I need to know about this 2 stage process you speak of. I have heard of it for those that DON'T have their CC. But I thought those of us with a CC don't have to worry about the 2 stage process.
I hope I'm not breakin the law
Old 08-23-12, 06:51 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Originally Posted by stasis3131

But if you weapon is in plain view most people refuse to Rob or bother a person they know is armed.
Or they might just shoot you in the head, and pick up an extra weapon.

Losing the element of surprise, is a big tactical mistake IMO.
Old 08-23-12, 06:59 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
Nope.

It's a "pistol".

To make it an SBR, I would have to put a stock on it, and register it for 200 bucks.
Yea I know about the stamp and so forth, if that isnt a stock on the back of the "pistol" what is that?

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Yoan, text me. You have lived here in FL much longer then me. I am worried I have my piece mounted illegally in my car.
I need to know about this 2 stage process you speak of. I have heard of it for those that DON'T have their CC. But I thought those of us with a CC don't have to worry about the 2 stage process.
I hope I'm not breakin the law
For the OP I personally think your should read your state laws and make yourself a bad a$$ mount

YOU MUST ALWAYS HAVE A 2 STEP PROCESS. No if, ands, or buts.

Wether cops have harrassed you about it or not is a different story, truth be told most cops dont know their gun laws. They see a CCW and automatically dismiss anything, I was explaining this to Ryan. However if you ever run into one who does know his laws you will lose your license.

Florida Statue- VEHICLE CARRY- Section 790.001(17)

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."
= 2 step process.

Now back on topic !!!!!!!!!

Get yourself a magnetic pistol mount

Last edited by Vroomin350; 08-23-12 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 07:06 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

That's the buffer tube.
Old 08-23-12, 07:14 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
Or they might just shoot you in the head, and pick up an extra weapon.

Losing the element of surprise, is a big tactical mistake IMO.
honestly I dont think this is an opinion, more like a fact.
Old 08-23-12, 07:21 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My CCW instructor recommended against open carry in all cases (vs conceal carry) for 2 reasons:

1) The already mentioned not giving up your advantage of a weapon a bad guy doesn't know about (versus the bad guy who is almost certainly concealing, so you won't know he's a threat till it's too late- no reason to make him aware that he ought target you first)

2) Avoiding hassles with the police. Because even in most places (like NC) where open carry is legal there's usually a law like "Going armed to the terror of the public" which means if someone twitchy sees you and calls 911 they have to come down there, stop you, and question you about it. Even if they don't charge you with the going armed type charge it's still a hassle you'll have to stop your day and deal with for a bit and isn't worth the trouble.
Old 08-23-12, 08:02 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When not on my waist I carry mine by my side in the car and fits perfect and easy to draw
Old 08-23-12, 08:12 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

to discuss guns and the collections we have an Official Gun Thread in the clubhouse, check it out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...lk-thread.html
Old 08-23-12, 08:14 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

^ this is a prime example of what is illegal in florida

I actually have that same holster, the suede is perfect to keep it from scratching the plastic.
Old 08-23-12, 08:19 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Wether cops have harrassed you about it or not is a different story, truth be told most cops dont know their gun laws. They see a CCW and automatically dismiss anything, I was explaining this to Ryan. However if you ever run into one who does know his laws you will lose your license.

Section 790.001(17) defines the term "securely encased" to mean "in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access."
= 2 step process.

That sucks. Guess I need to find a holster that will allow me to "snap" my piece in the holster then remount it to my car.
For now I'll just take my chances driving around as is till I find a holster that suits me.
Thanks Yoan
Old 08-23-12, 08:22 AM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Yea I know about the stamp and so forth, if that isnt a stock on the back of the "pistol" what is that?

For the OP I personally think your should read your state laws and make yourself a bad a$$ mount

= 2 step process.
Sorry guys, I know this is going off-topic, but I feel the need to correct this bit of misinformation. There is absolutely no "2 step" or "3 step" rule in the state of Florida. This is misinformation that has been spread around so much over the years that it has almost become "truth". The fact is, there is only one condition that must be met when carrying a firearm in your private conveyance in the state of Florida. Unfortunately, the way the statute is written leads to nothing but confusion.

Here is the bottom line... In Florida, if you possess a valid CWFL, you can have the firearm anywhere you want, whether on your body or near you, readily accessible. The only requirement is that it be concealed. You cannot drive with it on the dashboard in plain view, nor can you have it sitting on the seat next to you where someone could easily identify it as a firearm. As long as it's concealed from plain view, you're legal and good to go.

Without a CWFL, you can still carry a firearm in your vehicle, but it must meet one of two requirements... The firearm must be securely encased OR not readily accessible for immediate use. Placing the firearm in your center console right next to you is legal, as long as there is a lid that needs to be opened. The firearm can be unholstered or holstered, that doesn't matter because it already meets the securely encased criteria. Now if you want, you can put the firearm in a shoebox with lid on it on the passenger seat, and that meets the criteria for being securely encased. Also, placing the firearm in the glove box is enough to fulfill the criteria. There are no "steps" involved at all. You can have the firearm unholstered in the glove box and you're legal.

The problem is that people see "in a glove compartment, snapped in a holster" and they assume that it means "holstered inside of a glove box". The "or" conjunction here is key however. Gutmacher's book does a fantastic job of breaking this all down. Also one other thing... There is absolutely no distinction ANYWHERE in Florida firearm statutes between a loaded and unloaded firearm. They are considered to be the same in the eyes of the statutes, so assume all firearms are loaded. Hope this helps!

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 08:25 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ryan the cop who pulled you over is an idiot, you CANNOT have your gun unholstered or lacking a 2step process even if you have a CCW. Dont know where that info came from but just giving you the heads up, next cop who pulls you over might know his laws a little better.

Actually you can have a gun holstered or in your glovebox WITHOUT a CCW.

I studied gun laws for a longgggg time.

Statue states a vehicle is an extension of your home, wether you are traveling or not. People use the "traveling" excuse because they heard it works and dont know any better. Truth be told you could be going to home depot, and you can still have your weapon in the glove box or a strapped holster in your car.

Also, I always hear people saying the clip must be seperate from the gun, the gun must be in the glove box and the clip in the trunk, you "must" have a CCW and so on. NONE of that is true. Your gun can have the clip in it and even +1 (one in the chamber) so as long as there is a 2step process involved.

All three of my brother inlaws are cops and according to them what he has stated as far as Florida goes is 100% correct .
Old 08-23-12, 08:30 AM
Z06Boricua
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
All three of my brother inlaws are cops and according to them what he has stated as far as Florida goes is 100% correct .
The problem is that most police officers don't really know the ins and outs of the laws they are sworn to protect, so they err on the side of caution. That said, you can go ahead and have 2,3 or 10 steps to get to your pistol if you want, but it's really not required.

Jose
Old 08-23-12, 08:35 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Boricua
The problem is that most police officers don't really know the ins and outs of the laws they are sworn to protect, so they err on the side of caution. That said, you can go ahead and have 2,3 or 10 steps to get to your pistol if you want, but it's really not required.

Jose
One of them is an ex ATF officer so he knows his laws very well. In case you're wondering why he's no longer one it was a family decision and is now a cop for an upscale city where I once caught him guarding a pot hole so the citizens to hit it. Lmao (I give him **** for it all the time)

Quick Reply: Weapon in Lexus